Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   port cleaned 3.7 intaked manifold (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/port-cleaned-3-7-intaked-manifold-64616.html)

Strongjeff 08-25-2013 10:23 PM

port cleaned 3.7 intaked manifold

I as recently inspired to do this by flyinryan a few days back while going thru some older posts on the forum, when I was looking for ideas. so that being said, I will clean up the intake manifold runners on my 3.7, and while im at it clean up the outside of it too, and repaint it. from what was said in that thread, theres a small gain to be had in the 2k-5k rpm range. and this weekend being a four day for me I will have plenty of time for this. so I will be embarking on a "adventure"...now to wait for payday to roll around so I can buy a dremel and other supplies

will keep you all posted on progress

dippinsoldier92 08-28-2013 08:28 AM

Let me know how this goes for ya. I myself wouldn't mind doing it if it is a pain in the ass

Strongjeff 08-28-2013 06:16 PM

Re: port cleaned 3.7 intaked manifold

Quote:

Originally Posted by dippinsoldier92 (Post 883817)
Let me know how this goes for ya. I myself wouldn't mind doing it if it is a pain in the ass

I will keep every one posted, tomorrow im picking up everything I need, but the project will be started a little later then planned. I wanted to start it tomorrow but its gonna have to wait till Monday when I get back from murphy's burrow, tn. gonna go see the mud bogs.

EtherealPonx 08-31-2013 02:30 PM

The workshop cleaned the intake manifold of my 5.7 using ultrasonic (apparently this is similar process to cleaning injectors). Can't say I can feel an improvement in in performance, though it does seem to run a bit smoother. Its only had 50k miles on the clock so far, so I guess not enough crap to benefit from it perhaps.

Strongjeff 09-02-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EtherealPonx (Post 885638)
The workshop cleaned the intake manifold of my 5.7 using ultrasonic (apparently this is similar process to cleaning injectors). Can't say I can feel an improvement in in performance, though it does seem to run a bit smoother. Its only had 50k miles on the clock so far, so I guess not enough crap to benefit from it perhaps.

what im doing is actually "enlarging" the runners by removing the seems from when they pieced both halves together

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...14159712_o.jpg

and the after, I know it looks rough, but I will go back thru and sand by hand

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...47508132_o.jpg

dippinsoldier92 09-02-2013 08:23 PM

Is this a big pain so far and what are you using to do this

Strongjeff 09-02-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dippinsoldier92 (Post 886611)
Is this a big pain so far and what are you using to do this

its gonna be a pain but it is very doable I you take your time. im using a dremel and sandpaper

Strongjeff 09-02-2013 09:24 PM

you can get the manifold pulled once you remove the alternator, a/c compressor, fuel lines, fuel rail, ignition coils, throttle body, vacuum lines, and If your driving an 08+ the egr tube.

once theses are pulled, remove the 8 bolts that hold the manifold on and REMOVE THE MAP SENSOR before you begin to gently pry the manifold up and forwards to the fan. once the manifold is in the upward position, GENTLY pry it into the 12-o-clock position it will come out without removing the strut bar:thumbsup:

be patient, and you can have it out in as little as forty minutes

dippinsoldier92 09-02-2013 09:33 PM

Good god, seams like a lot to do. What are the gains of this

Strongjeff 09-02-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dippinsoldier92 (Post 886641)
Good god, seams like a lot to do. What are the gains of this

better airflow for improved power between 2k-5k rpms. since the midrange power on mine is fairly strong, why not improve upon it? it does sound like a lot, but this is the second time ive had it off, the first time I did it it took about forty minutes...mind you I am a mechanic, so the average person who has some knowledge of cars and some basic hand tools should take about an hour n a half

dippinsoldier92 09-02-2013 09:43 PM

Ok Im gonna do this before deployment and I got an 07 3.7 Laredo and I've been on cars since I was in diapers just never really tore anything down

Strongjeff 09-02-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dippinsoldier92 (Post 886647)
Ok Im gonna do this before deployment and I got an 07 3.7 Laredo and I've been on cars since I was in diapers just never really tore anything down

I have found that working the 3.7 is a easy engine to work on, just some times space it a little tight. good luck on the deployment, I did my tour in Iraq during 2011