Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Leaking trans fluid from behind the grill area? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/leaking-trans-fluid-from-behind-the-grill-area-6464.html)

05quadratrac 02-11-2010 03:26 PM

Leaking trans fluid from behind the grill area?

I was shoveling my Jeep out today and seen a small red puddle about a foot behind the grill of the Jeep, it seems like it might be coming from one of the 2 lines going to the trans cooler. Has anyone had this issue? I might try to replace it myself if I can find out if its one of the lines for sure. If not is it an expensive repair? Im guessing its not a warranty repair.

brent 02-11-2010 03:29 PM

Re: Leaking trans fluid from behind the grill area?

Just dealt with it.

The book says 1.5 hours to fix. It took my mechanic 3 which was a warranty fix item.... another guy coming in with the cooler line fitting replacement fix was quoted 8 hours for the job (rip off). See the thread below.

http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=6076

brent 02-11-2010 03:32 PM

Here was the part number...

55038175AA

05quadratrac 02-11-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brent (Post 149255)
Just dealt with it.

The book says 1.5 hours to fix. It took my mechanic 3 which was a warranty fix item.... another guy coming in with the cooler line fitting replacement fix was quoted 8 hours for the job (rip off). See the thread below.

http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=6076

Great thanks that looks exactly like mine, at least its covered under warranty? Did they hit you with the $100 deductible?

brent 02-11-2010 03:40 PM

Nope. I was still under the 3/36 warranty.

05quadratrac 02-11-2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brent (Post 149271)
Nope. I was still under the 3/36 warranty.

Ahhh so its not covered under the powertrain just the bumper to bumper?

brent 02-11-2010 04:48 PM

Ya, it doesn't look like it's covered under section E of that specific warranty. Do you have the B2B extended warranty?

AcidCold 02-11-2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05quadratrac (Post 149251)
I was shoveling my Jeep out today

Am i the only one that sees a problem here?? :eek:

brent 02-12-2010 10:06 AM

Is it a repair you're going to do your self? Check your fluid level and wipe it up to see if you can determine the source. Those lines are a bitch to change. Reading on some other forums, and my own experience at the dealer, they can rip you off. They said the "book" calls for 1.5 hours to replace them although I can't verify and my service advsior is about as useful as a box of rocks.

05quadratrac 02-13-2010 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brent (Post 149673)
Is it a repair you're going to do your self? Check your fluid level and wipe it up to see if you can determine the source. Those lines are a bitch to change. Reading on some other forums, and my own experience at the dealer, they can rip you off. They said the "book" calls for 1.5 hours to replace them although I can't verify and my service advsior is about as useful as a box of rocks.

Yeah i'll most likely have to have a shop do it, im going to wipe it up though and see how bad the leak looks, if its not bad I can deal with it for now and just keep an eye on my fluid levels.

GratefulDeadWK 12-16-2010 11:43 PM

Is this part #55038175AA just the rubber part of the lines or the hard lines as well?

GratefulDeadWK 12-16-2010 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brent (Post 149673)

Dealer quoted me at $550. How much do the parts cost? Seems like some people are getting quoted for 4.5-5+ hours and some are getting quoted on 1.5 hours. I wonder if they are just having the rubber replaced or the entire line. How can this be, do some dealers have the ability to do this job better then others?