Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Powerlift Gate Handle bowed (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/powerlift-gate-handle-bowed-64643.html)

mswlogo 08-26-2013 02:53 PM

Powerlift Gate Handle bowed

The handle for the lift gate is slightly bowed out where the trim contacts the body of the gate. Slight gap in the middle.

Is this a common problem?

Should I try pushing on it, perhaps it will just snap in and not fully seated.

I'm a little concerned water might get in there and mess things up.

I'll post a picture if needed.

If it's still water tight I'd rather not have dealer mess with it.

My motto is, unless it's REALLY broken, don't let the dealer "Fix it" :)

TroyJam 08-26-2013 04:28 PM

Re: Powerlift Gate Handle bowed

My rear hatch gate handle is bowed as well. Went to the dealership to look @ the other 2014's and some of the handles were bowed and some were perfectly flush. I did try to push it in with out success. Debating on what to do as well.

bill_de 08-26-2013 04:36 PM

There is a star case on this, instructing dealers to adjust if possible and replace if necessary.

As is so often the case, the following was provided by Milous. :thumbsup:

"Star Case Number: S1323000043

Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Liftgate exterior handle has a gap to the body.

Repair Procedure: Replacement of the handle assembly is normally not necessary. Follow the next steps to adjust the handle.

1. Locate the liftgate handle removal steps in TechConnect, but do not completely remove the handle. In step 5 do not remove the retaining nuts- just loosen them. The handle removal steps are located in Service Info; 23- Body; Decklid/Hatch/Liftgate/Tailgate; Handle, Exterior; Removal.

2. Once the handle is loose, adjust the handle side to side/up and down untill the fitment is improved and gap is no longer present. Also verify the handle is fully seated to the lift gate. The handle attachement holes are larger than the posts which will allow some movement.

3. If there is any damage to the handle such as broken ear or the fitment cannot be improved with the steps above replacement of the handle may be required at this point.

4. Reassemble the vehicle following Service Info; 23-Body; Decklid/Hatch/ Liftgate/Tailgate: Handle, Exterior; Installation."

---

vnbWK2 08-26-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 882820)
There is a star case on this, instructing dealers to adjust if possible and replace if necessary.

Repair Procedure: Replacement of the handle assembly is normally not necessary. Follow the next steps to adjust the handle.

1. Locate the liftgate handle removal steps in TechConnect, but do not completely remove the handle. In step 5 do not remove the retaining nuts- just loosen them. The handle removal steps are located in Service Info; 23- Body; Decklid/Hatch/Liftgate/Tailgate; Handle, Exterior; Removal.

2. Once the handle is loose, adjust the handle side to side/up and down untill the fitment is improved and gap is no longer present. Also verify the handle is fully seated to the lift gate. The handle attachement holes are larger than the posts which will allow some movement.

3. If there is any damage to the handle such as broken ear or the fitment cannot be improved with the steps above replacement of the handle may be required at this point.

4. Reassemble the vehicle following Service Info; 23-Body; Decklid/Hatch/ Liftgate/Tailgate: Handle, Exterior; Installation."

---

I presented my dealer with a print out of this star case when I had my Jeep in to balance tires and adjust sunroof. They looked at several other GC's on the lot and said its normal since others have the same gap. I asked if they even looked the Star case I handed them since its a known issue and theres a solution to either adjust or replace it. Said yes but no need to do anything since its 'normal'. It's like talking to the wall with some of these people. I forgot about it since it does not appear to be an issue....at the moment. Geeez.

seeingwhite 08-26-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnbWK2 (Post 882842)
I presented my dealer with a print out of this star case when I had my Jeep in to balance tires and adjust sunroof. They looked at several other GC's on the lot and said its normal since others have the same gap. I asked if they even looked the Star case I handed them since its a known issue and theres a solution to either adjust or replace it. Said yes but no need to do anything since its 'normal'. It's like talking to the wall with some of these people. I forgot about it since it does not appear to be an issue....at the moment. Geeez.

I know I am stating the obvious, but that is just plain ridiculous. Lazy and inconsiderate. Two reasons not to use that dealer to work on your car in the future.

Celestinemusic 08-26-2013 06:14 PM

My dealer fixed it, no questions asked. I had just mentioned that I was concerned that water would get behind it. Perfect now.

TroyJam 08-26-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 882820)

---

Thanks Bill

Willx 08-26-2013 06:43 PM

Oh Lord, please help me to not loose my patience reading posts about dealers not able to perform simple services very clearly laid out by Chrysler.....

acilate 08-27-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willx (Post 882882)
Oh Lord, please help me to not loose my patience reading posts about dealers not able to perform simple services very clearly laid out by Chrysler.....

I was just arguing with the dealer in my head :) It kills me when stupid people can't see the truth that's right in front of them.

Willx 08-27-2013 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acilate (Post 883075)

I was just arguing with the dealer in my head :) It kills me when stupid people can't see the truth that's right in front of them.

Yes, especially when there is a Star case on the issue.

AbleRiot 08-27-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willx (Post 883135)

Yes, especially when there is a Star case on the issue.

But it's normal, Will! There is no need to fix it! SMH (yes, bring sarcastic). Isn't there a way to report the dealership to ChryCo?

Willx 08-27-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbleRiot (Post 883143)

But it's normal, Will! There is no need to fix it! SMH (yes, bring sarcastic). Isn't there a way to report the dealership to ChryCo?

I honestly wish I could but Chrysler is aware they have crappy dealers... I feel with all the legal battles etc over their rights to keep their franchises, now is now is not timely for Chrysler to beat on them for this.

To anyone that runs into a similar issue absolutely call customer service. Get an email and send it to them with a picture of the gap (it is illustrated in the Star Case). They will chase the dealer.

That fails, there are many other great ways to embarrass your dealer if he is local but I won't be posting them here....