Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Suspension noises galone in Off Road 2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/suspension-noises-galone-in-off-road-2-a-64651.html)

Tony407 08-26-2013 04:57 PM

Suspension noises galone in Off Road 2

Took my Jeep four-wheeling for the first time. In Off Road 2, the suspension sounds like it's topping out...a LOT. It's loud enough that it sounds like huge boulders are hitting the bottom of the chassis. THUNK! It's actually quite embarrassing. On the same exact road in Off Road 1 or normal ride height, it's as quiet as can be. And I'm talking about some fairly mild bumps, rocks, etc.

Is this normal? Never had a 4x4 sound this bad before.

Tony

Baalic 08-26-2013 06:06 PM

Re: Suspension noises galone in Off Road 2

This is normal as far as I can tell as it does this on mine as well in the city on the slightest bumps..... not sure why it was designed like this but, it is what it is..

Tony407 08-26-2013 06:44 PM

Wow. Really, Jeep?

Thanks for the reply.

Tony

Baalic 08-26-2013 06:55 PM

Ya I posted a similar thread recently...It sounds like your driving a sherman tank around right?? THUNK BAM THUD THUNK?

hotspur 08-26-2013 07:21 PM

In OR2 you're at the limit of suspension travel, so, of course, there will be suspension noise. Why would you drive in OR2 on city streets?

seeingwhite 08-26-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotspur (Post 882905)
In OR2 you're at the limit of suspension travel, so, of course, there will be suspension noise. Why would you drive in OR2 on city streets?

I think he was just testing OR2 Mode.

Tony407 08-26-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotspur (Post 882905)
In OR2 you're at the limit of suspension travel, so, of course, there will be suspension noise.

For some odd reason, I thought one of the premier makers of off-road vehicles would have some room left over so my $50K SUV didn't sound like it was violently exploding. I read and watched a bunch of off-road reviews before buying and not one mentioned this. I have to say I'm very, very disappointed and my ownership experience "score" just took a huge hit.

Tony

Xjrguy 08-26-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony407 (Post 883060)
For some odd reason, I thought one of the premier makers of off-road vehicles would have some room left over so my $50K SUV didn't sound like it was violently exploding. I read and watched a bunch of off-road reviews before buying and not one mentioned this. I have to say I'm very, very disappointed and my ownership experience "score" just took a huge hit.

Tony

I'm up in Big Bear in my WK2 for the past couple days.

i've been wheeling the piss out of this thing, and you know what, to me, it's not a big deal. You are in OR2 mode what, 1% of the ownership experience so, did your ownership "score" just take a big hit over something as trivial as this? :slapfight:

I've rock crawled this thing in Joshua Tree and all over SoCal. It gets used and isn't some pavement princess. I accept the fact that the noises made in OR2 are a limitation of the air suspension.

The rest of the vehicle is FAN-FRIGIN-TASTIC. (I own a 2012 Summit BTW)

You saved 30k over the price of a Range Rover and got a vehicle arguably equal/better IMHO.

It is what it is.

Tony407 08-26-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xjrguy (Post 883066)
... and you know what, to me, it's not a big deal.

You just hit the nail on the head. To me, it is a big deal.

Tony

Xjrguy 08-27-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony407 (Post 883068)
You just hit the nail on the head. To me, it is a big deal.

Tony

Then trade it in tomorrow!

How often (honestly) are you going to find yourself in OR2 mode?

It's not a suspension mode you use unless you are out rock crawling all the time.

If you are in that mode on normal trails, it's not being used for it's intended purposes.

I am sure Jeep engineers weighed all that when they designed the vehicle.

When I first put mine in OR2 it sounded like something broke, but then I realized it was normal....and I like the truck so much I am not going to let some thing that I am going to encounter on the toughest trails (where body damage and skid plate banging is going to occur) going to bother me when realistically I'm going to be on those types of trails 1% of the total time of owning the vehicle.

Life is short, enjoy your jeep, don't let something like this bring you down.

If the suspension sounded like a cattle drawn carriage getting dragged over a quarry all the time in every mode, then yes I'd be a bit peeved too...but that's not the case here.

Not trying to downplay your "issue" but IMHO there are bigger things to worry about.

Tony407 08-27-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xjrguy (Post 883077)
Not trying to downplay your "issue" but IMHO there are bigger things to worry about.

Then try worrying about something else besides me worrying about your Jeep. (Oh did I say your Jeep? I meant mine. My bad.)

Tony

Scottina06 08-27-2013 02:05 AM

You obviously posted looking for opinions...and you got his opinion.

Now heres mine...."its the nature of the beast" On my SRT...I know...that if I place that knob in "track mode"...the rides gonna suck and Im gonna feel every nook and crannie in the road....but this babies gonna grip and take the long s curves like an expensive italian sports car. Its the nature of the beast or should I say "track mode"? And in your case...OR2. JMHO