Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Replacement for stock jack (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/replacement-for-stock-jack-64662.html)

Rickster41 08-26-2013 08:23 PM

Replacement for stock jack

I just bought a 2005 WK and am loving it! My WK did't come with a jack kit and the spare tire is balder then my step father! Two questions for everyone... Is there a replacement for the stock jack kit that is better, and that will fit. I found one on ebay but would rather spend more on a new, better kit. And what are your thoughts about going with out the spare at all, since it isn't usable anyway?

jeepgcoman 08-26-2013 09:51 PM

Re: Replacement for stock jack

Never used mine, so don't know about that, but the SRT's don't come with a spare at all. They come with a can of pressurized flat fix. I've toyed with removing mine too, but haven't yet. Unless you do a lot of off roading you probably don't really need it. Last time (knock on wood) I had a flat was when off roading with my Grand Waggie. Lucky I had a good spare and jack for that one though, as it was in the middle of no where.

Rickster41 08-27-2013 07:42 AM

I think that just sold me. I never thought of having a can of fix-a-flat on board.

Still need a jack kit though just in case, I don't want my WK to be sitting on the rim.

I also plan to fix the spare and put it on when the family goes camping, but I just don't need it driving to work and back.

johngreen1234 08-27-2013 08:11 AM

I've gone without a spare tire in my ZJ when I needed the room in back, but it was city driving where I knew I had access to friends who could rescue me AND I had AAA. More typically I do mostly rural highway driving. I carry a good spare AND AAA.

Are you sure the spare is NG? Even an old baldy can get you back to help (slowly). If you're mostly driving city AND the spare is bad AND you've got a plan for getting help, then going without isn't too much of a risk, particularly if cash is in short supply.

Stay away from curbs! I've sliced more tires than I've punctured.

Bikemobile 08-27-2013 05:02 PM

I bought a pickup a few years ago with no jack on board. I bought a 4 ton bottle jack at harbor freight for $20. It stores better than the factory one.

www.harborfreight.com

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_19773.jpg

Rickster41 08-27-2013 07:16 PM

Thanks Bikemobile that is exactly what I was looking for. Now what do I do about the 1/2 inch thing to lower the spare? Not sure what it is called but it is 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch square so no socket I have will work. I assume they make something you can attach to a socket wrench?

jeepgcoman 08-28-2013 11:31 AM

Also, consider a portable air compressor. A little more bulky but they work, eventually. Years ago I had a flat (again) on my Grand Waggie (out in the middle of no where again), and all I had was the compressor. It took so long, that we finally just sat on the tailgate and had lunch while it filled. It was almost flat again by the time we got into town. I think the flat fix is a better choice now. I don't think that stuff was even around when I had that flat.

Bikemobile 08-28-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickster41 (Post 883527)
Thanks Bikemobile that is exactly what I was looking for. Now what do I do about the 1/2 inch thing to lower the spare? Not sure what it is called but it is 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch square so no socket I have will work. I assume they make something you can attach to a socket wrench?

I would probably carry a tire iron and make a 1/2"x1/2" square tube steel adapter that it could go into. Or have a 1/2" drive socket welded to a piece of square tubing that fits it.

My jeep dealer is 75 miles away and the home depot is in the same town. All i have is ace hardware and friend with a mig welder.

bobharly 08-29-2013 12:50 AM

Jack assy, Jack assy
JACK NONE
REAR BODY & FLOOR »Interior trim
Jeep › Grand cherokee › 2006-2008
$134.00
Your Price : $92.46

https://moparonlineparts.com

Try this.

bobharly 09-01-2013 11:18 PM

I had to change a tire today with the stock jack. I couldn't get the tire off the ground using the "pinch point" to lift from. Lifting from the lower "A" arm worked (With a second jack borrowed from someone else), but it was a PIA! I'm planning on carrying a small block of wood to support the jack in case this ever happens again. Also, if you change your lug nuts, make sure you have wrench with the correct size. I have gorilla lugs, but never thought to make sure I have a correct wrench size. I used an oversized wrench to remove the lugs and still had the stock lugs rolling around in the back, so I put on the old lugs to make sure I could put them on tight. Just a few things to think about. Changing a tire in the driveway is a completely different experience from doing it on the side of the highway. And BTW, TPMS is awesome! The tire pressure monitoring system warned me before it could have been serious. At 26 psi the warning system notified me. By the time I was finished with changing the tire, the punctured tire was down to 14 psi. Had I driven on it without warning, I could have had a blow out or worse. I thought I'd just share here...

TXjeep1 09-19-2013 05:32 PM

I watched a fella run over one of those shredded semi tires you always see laying on the road, "this was in the city" It resulted in a shredded tire of his own. The concept of going anywhere without a spare just does not make any sense to me. I carry a full size spare, fix a flat,an air pump and a good jack. Plus on my 05 WK it is located under the vehicle, so I have to ask why remove it unless you are replacing it? My philosophy is you can never be too prepared while on the road, and that goes for tools & tires. IMHO

Bikemobile 09-19-2013 10:43 PM

Go to "bob's tire" or your local small hole in the wall tire shop and get a good used tire to replace the spare with. Last time i had a flat was in a snowstorm, 4 hours from home on a sunday. Potentially pricey towbill!

Block of wood is a good idea. Could come in handy in many ways.