Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/)
-   -   06 Grand Cherokee Overland Radio Display Issues (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/06-grand-cherokee-overland-radio-display-issues-64690.html)

jediknight811 08-27-2013 02:40 PM

06 Grand Cherokee Overland Radio Display Issues

I purchased a used 06 Overland about a year ago and have had to real huge problems with it. A few months ago the display on my REC just went out. I can still listen to the radio, change the stations through the presets only, and change the volume on it. I cannot change from NAV to CD to Sirius Radio and back to the regular radio. The tuner and the seek features are not working and in general the display is not turning on. Every once in awhile it flashes on for maybe 5-10 seconds, but then it powers off again.

Following the instructions on wkjeeps and some of the users on here I took the whole radio out and checked the fan that is on the back of the radio. I turned the vehicle on and noticed that it was not spinning. Is there a fuse for the fan that could have possibly been blown or could it be something else? I understand that the radio is just one of those cannot be fixed but replaced items and I really don't want to spend the $800-$1000 to have it replaced. Any tips??

dr.lee.baugh 08-27-2013 04:43 PM

Re: 06 Grand Cherokee Overland Radio Display Issues

Quote:

Originally Posted by jediknight811 (Post 883375)
I purchased a used 06 Overland about a year ago and have had to real huge problems with it. A few months ago the display on my REC just went out. I can still listen to the radio, change the stations through the presets only, and change the volume on it. I cannot change from NAV to CD to Sirius Radio and back to the regular radio. The tuner and the seek features are not working and in general the display is not turning on. Every once in awhile it flashes on for maybe 5-10 seconds, but then it powers off again.

Following the instructions on wkjeeps and some of the users on here I took the whole radio out and checked the fan that is on the back of the radio. I turned the vehicle on and noticed that it was not spinning. Is there a fuse for the fan that could have possibly been blown or could it be something else? I understand that the radio is just one of those cannot be fixed but replaced items and I really don't want to spend the $800-$1000 to have it replaced. Any tips??

Hah! You're the second person today with issues with their REC nav screen.

The problem you are experiencing is quite common (down to the buttons that do and do not work!), and is believed to be a result of cracking solder on the board. Basically, the same thing that plagued the Xbox 360s and resulted in the red ring of death. It is NOT a result of overheating...well, it could be that the damage was originally caused by the cooling fan not working causing the unit to overheat, but replacing the fan won't fix things now...

I haven't heard of anyone being able to fix this themselves. You could try re-flowing the solder by taking the radio apart, removing the screen, and putting the board in a toaster oven and heating it up (google how to do this safely/properly!), but there is no guarantee this will fix things.

Most people have determined its not worth the effort, and just take the opportunity to upgrade the head unit to something better (either aftermarket or one of the later nav units).

If you find a way to solve it, post back, as this is becoming a more and more common issue and a fix would be excellent.