Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   8.4AN radio tuner prob (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/8-4an-radio-tuner-prob-64694.html)

witt312 08-27-2013 04:55 PM

8.4AN radio tuner prob

Living in Chicago, there is surprisingly a good radio station on 87.7 that I cannot tune into. The manual states it should be able to access the station, but nothing. I can't tune direct and if attempting to scan, the tuner rolls over to the top frequency. I'm running 13.19 and uconnect customer service has been zero help.
Thoughts?
Thanks

Willx 08-27-2013 05:32 PM

Re: 8.4AN radio tuner prob

Quote:

Originally Posted by witt312 (Post 883443)
Living in Chicago, there is surprisingly a good radio station on 87.7 that I cannot tune into. The manual states it should be able to access the station, but nothing. I can't tune direct and if attempting to scan, the tuner rolls over to the top frequency. I'm running 13.19 and uconnect customer service has been zero help.
Thoughts?
Thanks

87.7 is not a legal frequency any more according to the FCC. Only a low power station is permitted to use this as it is now licenced for TV.

This will not be corrected as any radio currently capable of tuning 87.7 will soon just receive broadcast noise. I doubt that radio station will even be allowed to broadcast soon.

Edit: Actually according the the FCC that radio station is not even licensed? There system doesn't recognise anything below 87.9 but no one in that state is licensed for anything under 88.1. They are not even in the low power index.

witt312 08-27-2013 05:48 PM

Thanks for the quick and thorough response.
Hopefully the station will move frequencies at some point soon.

seeingwhite 08-27-2013 05:48 PM

" The station, perhaps inspired by its low-FM dial position and its uncertain future ("Already there are some people maneuvering to shut us down"), cultivates a hard-edged "outlaw mystique" in its presentation and interaction with listeners, targeting a younger audience that may normally listen to music through online sources; a welcome message on the station's website at its launch noted that "older radios won't pick us up... so if someone has a radio that doesn't get 87.7FM, then they just don't get it!"

WKQX-LP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting...

Willx 08-27-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seeingwhite (Post 883481)
" The station, perhaps inspired by its low-FM dial position and its uncertain future ("Already there are some people maneuvering to shut us down"), cultivates a hard-edged "outlaw mystique" in its presentation and interaction with listeners, targeting a younger audience that may normally listen to music through online sources; a welcome message on the station's website at its launch noted that "older radios won't pick us up... so if someone has a radio that doesn't get 87.7FM, then they just don't get it!"

WKQX-LP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting...

I found it REALLY interesting actually.... I like the whole rogue station idea personally. I was heavily involved in the transition to the 700 MHZ frequencies and the moves of emergency band stuff for LTE. Anyway, the air waves are crowded, I am surprised they have stuck it out this long but good for them.

I still have some clients shocked that their 700 Mhz Wireless Mics they spent 10s of thousands of dollars on are now Outlaw Tech!

seeingwhite 08-27-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willx (Post 883495)
Anyway, the air waves are crowded, I am surprised they have stuck it out this long but good for them.

I still have some clients shocked that their 700 Mhz Wireless Mics they spent 10s of thousands of dollars on are now Outlaw Tech!

Yeah, radio in general is pretty neat stuff between the physics, spectrum allocations, advances in technology, etc. I still have a HAM license, but I don't mess with it much since its hard to justify when I am using cell devices to do so much more. HAM is still the best for emergencies though, I can tell you that from both personal and professional experience.

Willx 08-27-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seeingwhite (Post 883507)
Yeah, radio in general is pretty neat stuff between the physics, spectrum allocations, advances in technology, etc. I still have a HAM license, but I don't mess with it much since its hard to justify when I am using cell devices to do so much more. HAM is still the best for emergencies though, I can tell you that from both personal and professional experience.

Well you may be the smarter one around, HAM can travel without the infrastructure this other stuff needs. I will come by your house after the apocolypse.