Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Impressed With The '14 GC 4x4 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/impressed-with-the-14-gc-4x4-64725.html)

Nvincent4708 08-28-2013 09:16 AM

Impressed With The '14 GC 4x4

After yesterday, I'm quite impressed by my Base '14 GC Laredo 4x4 and it's capabilities. Took it to the C&D Canal levies to drive around and get some pictures with the girlfriend and found some really deep mud / puddles along the way. At one point I thought it might get stuck but the 4 wheel drive popped the thing right out with no issues.

I'm pretty impressed with the all time 4 wheel drive and how it diverts the power.

My question to you is, is it normal that it sounds like the ABS is kicking in or making some other grunting type noise when a few tires are slipping and it is diverting power? Or should I have the dealer check this?

CobraKyle 08-28-2013 09:41 AM

Re: Impressed With The '14 GC 4x4

Thats normal. With the Laredo 4x4 (unless you order ORI or AWG) you get QuadraTracI which is open transfer case and open differentials. The car uses an advanced traction control to limit wheel slip. I believe its called Brake Lock Differential.

Nvincent4708 08-28-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobraKyle (Post 883847)
Thats normal. With the Laredo 4x4 (unless you order ORI or AWG) you get QuadraTracI which is open transfer case and open differentials. The car uses an advanced traction control to limit wheel slip. I believe its called Brake Lock Differential.

Thanks! Well, it seems to work really well. Great gas mileage and usability, I think this won't be my last Jeep.

kkreit01 08-28-2013 10:59 AM

Where are these pics? I agree, that with decent tires (which mine doesn't have), QT1 is capable. Actually, it's the perfect setup for my wife. She can get in and drive, and it's safe in inclement conditions (no buttons to push, etc.).

Nvincent4708 08-28-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkreit01 (Post 883889)
Where are these pics? I agree, that with decent tires (which mine doesn't have), QT1 is capable. Actually, it's the perfect setup for my wife. She can get in and drive, and it's safe in inclement conditions (no buttons to push, etc.).

The girlfriend hasn't sent me the rest to photoshop and such..but here is one I took when I was stopped.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...59444106_n.jpg

bumpinjeep 08-28-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvincent4708 (Post 883833)
After yesterday, I'm quite impressed by my Base '14 GC Laredo 4x4 and it's capabilities. Took it to the C&D Canal levies to drive around and get some pictures with the girlfriend and found some really deep mud / puddles along the way. At one point I thought it might get stuck but the 4 wheel drive popped the thing right out with no issues.

I'm pretty impressed with the all time 4 wheel drive and how it diverts the power.

My question to you is, is it normal that it sounds like the ABS is kicking in or making some other grunting type noise when a few tires are slipping and it is diverting power? Or should I have the dealer check this?

Yes, its totally normal. The ABS is limiting wheel spin. If you notice any weird sounds when driving normally then take it in, other than that it sounds like you should be good to go.

mswlogo 08-28-2013 12:39 PM

Yes that system is great. But I think you need to be careful of over working it.

It great for on demand short bursts of needed traction.

But for a serious continuous demand it's pretty hard on the ABS.

Like going on a sandy beach. Not saying it won't handle it, but it's hard on it.

Sometimes you need to PADDLE your way through and the ABS system isn't good for those situations.

It also has to SLIP BEFORE you get the traction.

Nvincent4708 08-28-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 883958)
Yes that system is great. But I think you need to be careful of over working it.

It great for on demand short bursts of needed traction.

But for a serious continuous demand it's pretty hard on the ABS.

Like going on a sandy beach. Not saying it won't handle it, but it's hard on it.

Sometimes you need to PADDLE your way through and the ABS system isn't good for those situations.

It also has to SLIP BEFORE you get the traction.

luckily i didn't push it too much, but it's good to know that it'll get me out of a spot if needed