Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f157/)
-   -   2014 Diesel specs (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f157/2014-diesel-specs-64727.html)

Jarek0423 08-28-2013 09:44 AM

2014 Diesel specs

Does anybody have exact specs for a 2014 Diesel 4x4 ( Summit ideally)? I'm looking for:

- Weight
- Weight distribution
- Acceleration 0-60

Route 66 09-01-2013 10:04 PM

http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/su...el_first_test/

The link is from Motor Trend last spring. It should answer your questions.

Jarek0423 09-03-2013 12:05 PM

Re: 2014 Diesel specs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Route 66 (Post 886151)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel First Test - Motor Trend

The link is from Motor Trend last spring. It should answer your questions.

Thanks! That's an interesting read, haven't seen it before. 5400 lbs for the diesel... That's significantly heavier than the Hemi :confused: 0-60 is about a second slower as well...

Tough to decide between the Hemi and the Diesel. Wife is very green and the only reason she's letting me buy an SUV is because of the diesel's mileage and I like the range it gets as well. But then again, seems like the Hemi is a little better performer. Decisions, decisions...

CNY_WK2 09-03-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarek0423 (Post 886890)
Thanks! That's an interesting read, haven't seen it before. 5400 lbs for the diesel... That's significantly heavier than the Hemi :confused: 0-60 is about a second slower as well...

Tough to decide between the Hemi and the Diesel. Wife is very green and the only reason she's letting me buy an SUV is because of the diesel's mileage and I like the range it gets as well. But then again, seems like the Hemi is a little better performer. Decisions, decisions...

I had the hemi in a past vehicle and loved it but the mileage, towing were the clencher for me. I think 0-60 is useless unless you go all in with a SRT. A diesel will be inherently heavier due to the required construction to handle the combustion pressure/method of the diesel.

4jeepdiesel 09-03-2013 12:35 PM

One of my biggest peeves people ask about vehicles is what's the time from 0-60?

It's kinda like "how much can you bench press"?

Honestly how often do you really have to or even be able to slam it from 0-60 to get to where you're going? If that's the only thing you're looking for in a vehicle, why the would you get an SUV? Also, if you want a fast SUV, take a look at the Explorer sport ecoboost. That will smoke the hemi from 0-60. I think their time is almost under 6 seconds.

ExcursionDiesel 09-03-2013 12:47 PM

You are comparing a 5.7L V8 to a 3.0L turbo diesel. The wide open throttle will be better with the hemi, of course. The mid throttle (where you drive 99% of the time) will be better with the smaller diesel due to its incredible torque output.

The mileage will only be 65-70% of the diesel unless you try really hard with the hemi to achieve better economy.

Bluespark has a tuner box that adds 60HP and 100 ft-lb of torque AND improved economy to the EcoDiesel. An Australian owner demonstrated 6.8s 0-60 times in a video recently.

If you drive a lot, the diesel will pay for itself in a few years. I drive 30k+ a year and can't wait to get back in a diesel again...2 weeks until delivery, I hope.

bd

ExcursionDiesel 09-03-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarek0423 (Post 886890)

FYI....here's a very detailed spec for '14 GC models:

http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/spec...rand-2014.html

-----------V6----V8-----Diesel
Overland - 4984 - 5250 - 5393

That's 143 lbs heavier for the Diesel over the Hemi.

bd

Jarek0423 09-03-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExcursionDiesel (Post 887004)
FYI....here's a very detailed spec for '14 GC models:

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - standard features, specifications, and dimensions

-----------V6----V8-----Diesel
Overland - 4984 - 5250 - 5393

That's 143 lbs heavier for the Diesel over the Hemi.

bd

Thanks! 400lbs weight difference vs the V6 is quite a penalty (almost 10% heavier).

This also confirms what I read somewhere else, that the Hemi has good old hydraulic power steering vs electric on the Diesel. Wondering why that is and if the difference is noticable.

Also curious why Summit is 20-33lbs lighter than Overland :confused: Must be the tow hooks...

I'm 99.9% set on the Diesel. Hope it feels similar in driving to the Hemi, which I test drove and loved.

Willx 09-03-2013 04:43 PM

One thing I will tell you from a long time 3 liter diesel driver, they pull way harder (passing, off the line, trailering) than a bunch of numbers would tell you.

Trust me once you have owned one for a little while you will have a tough time understanding Petrol engines all together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarek0423 (Post 887067)
Thanks! 400lbs weight difference vs the V6 is quite a penalty (almost 10% heavier).

This also confirms what I read somewhere else, that the Hemi has good old hydraulic power steering vs electric on the Diesel. Wondering why that is and if the difference is noticable.

Also curious why Summit is 20-33lbs lighter than Overland :confused: Must be the tow hooks...

I'm 99.9% set on the Diesel. Hope it feels similar in driving to the Hemi, which I test drove and loved.

Jarek0423 09-03-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willx (Post 887070)
One thing I will tell you from a long time 3 liter diesel driver, they pull way harder (passing, off the line, trailering) than a bunch of numbers would tell you.

Trust me once you have owned one for a little while you will have a tough time understanding Petrol engines all together.

Don't get me wrong - I'm from Europe originally and owned / drove a few diesels in my life... I'm totally on board with all the advantages.

Ironically, the Jeep will be my first American car and I've always wanted to drive a Hemi - it's pretty legendary in Europe! But I agree with all the advantages of a diesel plus the wife really wants the "eco" badge... So I guess still no big, american, naturally aspirated V8 hemi for me :(

ExcursionDiesel 09-03-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarek0423 (Post 887067)

The Overland with ORA2 has skid plates and tow hooks. That's the only difference as far as I can tell. The 20's on the Summit may add a few pounds back.

As was mentioned before, the Diesel's drivability is above and beyond the v6 and the Hemi according to our brothers down under.

The v6 has less than 300 ft-lbs of torque which translates to lots of downshifting on hills and while accelerating. The Hemi has less than the Diesel but is close...but it's peak torque occurs at 4000 rpm which is not an rpm you'd want to stay at for long! The Diesel makes 420 ft-lbs at 2000 rpm and redlines at 4500 rpm. It pulls like a BEAST without lots of revs and downshifts. The torque curve is very flat so the engine feels very responsive and willing.

You'll probably never go back to gas after owning a good turbo diesel. I did go back to gas in '08 due to the EPA killing Jeep Diesels here and I hated it....never again.

bd

Willx 09-03-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarek0423 (Post 887073)
Don't get me wrong - I'm from Europe originally and owned / drove a few diesels in my life... I'm totally on board with all the advantages.

Ironically, the Jeep will be my first American car and I've always wanted to drive a Hemi - it's pretty legendary in Europe! But I agree with all the advantages of a diesel plus the wife really wants the "eco" badge... So I guess still no big, american, naturally aspirated V8 hemi for me :(

Ya but you probably drove a pre-2007 Diesel in Europe... My better half is Swedish and I spend lots of time over there. 2009 was a fairly big improvement but being over 400 Foot Pounds of torque has really changed the entire feel. I mean it is not wiplash like petrol can be but it is a solid suck you into your seat feel.

I am driving a 5.7 Hemi (old Tranny so not exactly the same) but my old Bluetec could almost keep pace with the 2014 Hemis' I tested and it was lower power and less ratios than the 2014 EcoDiesel....

Actually what is fun is having 3 adults in each vehicle, then test your 0-60 (that I agree doesn't really matter). I had old diesels to and this is not my fathers Peugot.