Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Towing with a '14 WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/towing-with-a-14-wk2-64764.html)

Tristar 08-28-2013 08:30 PM

Towing with a '14 WK2

I realize manufacturers have gotten very cautious with tow ratings given the amount of sue happy people today, but has anyone actually read the towing portion of their owners manual?

Yes a hemi can tow over 7000lbs, but they also state any load over 3500lbs needs a load leveling hitch. Seriously?

For those that own boats, how much are you towing; and are you using a load leveling hitch? 3500lbs is a pretty small boat, and typically load leveling hitches cannot be used with surge brakes. Since most if not all trailers for boats use surge style brakes, what are you guys doing to get around this?

3500lb limit for a vehicle as big as the WK2 is pretty sad; yes the smaller wheelbase makes it more apt to sway while towing but between the sway control and the autoleveling that comes with the tow package, I am still in disbelief. I don't think the smaller WJ & WK Jeeps had these stipulations.

moosehead 08-28-2013 08:44 PM

Re: Towing with a '14 WK2

Tristar, my 11 WK2 handles our circa 6k lb boat up some pretty demanding passes, IMO you are good without the extra doo dads but that is just me.

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/a...0/378c628a.jpg

Route 66 08-28-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 884236)
Tristar, my 11 WK2 handles our circa 6k lb boat up some pretty demanding passes, IMO you are good without the extra doo dads but that is just me.

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/a...0/378c628a.jpg

Great picture! I can't wait to start towing with my Jeep. Thanks for the towing information.

mswlogo 08-28-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristar (Post 884229)
I realize manufacturers have gotten very cautious with tow ratings given the amount of sue happy people today, but has anyone actually read the towing portion of their owners manual?

Yes a hemi can tow over 7000lbs, but they also state any load over 3500lbs needs a load leveling hitch. Seriously?

For those that own boats, how much are you towing; and are you using a load leveling hitch? 3500lbs is a pretty small boat, and typically load leveling hitches cannot be used with surge brakes. Since most if not all trailers for boats use surge style brakes, what are you guys doing to get around this?

3500lb limit for a vehicle as big as the WK2 is pretty sad; yes the smaller wheelbase makes it more apt to sway while towing but between the sway control and the autoleveling that comes with the tow package, I am still in disbelief. I don't think the smaller WJ & WK Jeeps had these stipulations.

I've been towing 4500 LB boat without Load Leveling on my 2002 GC 4.0L and I wish it had load leveling setup. It does have surge breaks. I don't tow it far. If I did tow it far, I would want a load leveling setup. If I recall the 2002 GC did say break assist was needed above a certain weight.

I have used the load leveling system on a 5000+ LB setup and you use Electric Breaks. They actually work quite well and they use the backup lights (available on wiring harness) to disable the breaks. Some surge breaks do that too. I had not thought about the surge break thing w.r.t. load leveling hitch, but you are probably right.

But it towed like it was 2000 LBS.

I plan to do the same with the 2014 and will probably tow this weekend.

I think surge breaks is not legal in some states.

Willx 08-28-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristar (Post 884229)

I tow all kinds of stuff, way better with a WD / Sway control system.... There are lots out there that are surge compatible.

Link: Equal-i-zer® Hitch - The “American Original” with 4-Point Sway Control™ and Weight Distribution

Tristar 08-28-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willx (Post 884281)
I tow all kinds of stuff, way better with a WD / Sway control system.... There are lots out there that are surge compatible.

Link: Equal-i-zer® Hitch - The “American Original” with 4-Point Sway Control™ and Weight Distribution

Good info.

I guess I struggle with the need considering the Jeep has sway control, and air bags in the rear to level the load. I don't tow up steep grades, long distances, and it is only 4700lbs. I also don't exceed 75mph.

Simply put, I would rather not mess around with a $700+ hitch upgrade that needs to be adjusted each time I want to trailer.

Again, thanks for the replies, I look forward to more opinions.

Willx 08-28-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristar (Post 884293)

Good info.

I guess I struggle with the need considering the Jeep has sway control, and air bags in the rear to level the load. I don't tow up steep grades, long distances, and it is only 4700lbs. I also don't exceed 75mph.

Simply put, I would rather not mess around with a $700+ hitch upgrade that needs to be adjusted each time I want to trailer.

Again, thanks for the replies, I look forward to more opinions.

A few things....

Sway control on a vehicle uses the abs system to control a severe issue for safety, sway control bars minimize the chance of this happening.

Load leveling suspension will not affect weight distribution for control and steering purposes at all.

I have towed everything from 3000 pounds to 12,000 pounds. If it is in that weight range, is not a fifth wheel and you are going to drive it on the interstate, it needs sway control.

Lots of boats in the ditch towed by people with 3/4 tons who didn't think so.

I set up that exact hitch and test towed with a JGC, Durango and RAM over a period of a month and never adjusted anything on the hitch (7180 pounds loaded and ordered the JGC diesel based on my experiences with it).

ExcursionDiesel 08-28-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willx (Post 884281)

Load leveling and anti-sway on a vehicle is NOT equivalent to a true WD hitch with friction anti-sway. If you have ever experienced a death wobble while towing induced by an sudden evasive maneuver, you would never tow heavy without a WD/anti-sway hitch!

A true WD hitch moves weight off the rear axle to the front, loading the axles more evenly. Heavy springs just prevent squatting which still unweights the front end under a heavy tongue weight.

For those of you that take safe handling while towing seriously, the Hensley Arrow Hitch is the ultimate. It truly eliminates ALL sway without friction bars...but you pay for it.

I tow 14k lbs. on a bumper hitch, which is absurd. I have a specially designed "Pull-Rite" under carriage fifth wheel hitch that is rated at 20k lbs. It eliminates sway and distributes weight on my diesel Excursion. Yes, I almost died in a death wobble before getting my WD hitch.

bd

David_Hart 08-28-2013 11:24 PM

Reading through the manual, they also say that trailers weighing 1000lbs or more should have their own brakes. In the real world, very few trailers under 3000lbs have their own brakes.

It's clear that the lawyers took over writing the Towing section of the manual. So take it with a grain of salt... :D

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that you don't need sway control or load leveling with certain trailers. It all depends on what you are towing. The picture that they show in the manual when talking about sway control, etc is of a camper trailer. A camper trailer is more apt to act like a wind sail because of it's boxy shape in comparison to towing a boat, which would let the air flow around it.

mswlogo 08-29-2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David_Hart (Post 884313)
Reading through the manual, they also say that trailers weighing 1000lbs or more should have their own brakes. In the real world, very few trailers under 3000lbs have their own brakes.

It sounds like common sense to me.

I'm thrilled Jeep makes an SUV still way smaller than a Suburban/Expedition or Full Size Pickup that can handle this kind of weight.

Not many do these days. Many have switched to "Crossovers" that can't handle more than 2000 LBs

It's not about how much it can Pull. It's Stopping distances and Evasive maneuvers that will kill you when towing anything over a few 1000 LBs.

David_Hart 08-29-2013 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 884334)
It sounds like common sense to me.

I'm thrilled Jeep makes an SUV still way smaller than a Suburban/Expedition or Full Size Pickup that can handle this kind of weight.

Not many do these days. Many have switched to "Crossovers" that can't handle more than 2000 LBs

It's not about how much it can Pull. It's Stopping distances and Evasive maneuvers that will kill you when towing anything over a few 1000 LBs.

True. In my opinion, most people who are inexperienced at towing will drive as if the trailer isn't there (i.e. normal highway speeds) and will not leave enough stopping distance in front of them. This is usually what gets them in trouble, causing them to make evasive maneuvers that they can't recover from.

Willx 08-29-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David_Hart (Post 884313)

A camper trailer is more apt to act like a wind sail because of it's boxy shape in comparison to towing a boat, which would let the air flow around it.

-Almost every Tent trailer made now adays has trailer brakes, many with a GVWR well under 3000 pounds.... Further to this, I think you should check State Laws, a few require it by law over 1000 or 1500 pounds, hence most trailer manufacturer don't make them without over 1000 pounds any more would be the closer fact. If your trailer weighs over 1500 pounds and doesn't have brakes on it, don't go to the west coast Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle
-Sway and trailer sidewall are not the only factors, I went from a 19' to a 31' and the new trailer rides much better. Sway problems are often about weight distribution, wheel placement and other factors. Again, I see more people who lost control of their boat trailer than any other recreational towed device.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExcursionDiesel (Post 884303)
Load leveling and anti-sway on a vehicle is NOT equivalent to a true WD hitch with friction anti-sway. If you have ever experienced a death wobble while towing induced by an sudden evasive maneuver, you would never tow heavy without a WD/anti-sway hitch!

A true WD hitch moves weight off the rear axle to the front, loading the axles more evenly. Heavy springs just prevent squatting which still unweights the front end under a heavy tongue weight.

bd

Excursion,

I think anyone who is not completely 100% in agreement with you just hasen't actually used a proper system and or has not had the displeasure of having the trailer sway get out of control. (including not being able to make an avoidence manoever due to improper vehicle loading at the front axle).