Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   panic button question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/panic-button-question-64770.html)

jd31 08-29-2013 02:15 AM

panic button question

I accidentally hit the panic button the other night. I tried pressing the panic button again but it wouldn't turn off . I tried to turn it off by starting the car (I heard that starting the car was one of a few ways to disable the panic button). To my surprise the car actually started up and I was able to put it into gear. Since that didn't work I fumbled around a bit before finally turning it off by pressing the panic button multiple times (I guess you have to press it a bunch of times).

Is this normal? Anyone else able to start their car while the panic button is enabled? I recently changed out my entire audio system so I'm wondering if something got mixed up during the install.

TurboRush 08-29-2013 08:01 AM

Re: panic button question

Yep, I had the same thing happen to me. In all my years I've never accidentally hit the panic button, done it twice with the Jeep because its a stupid fullsize button unlike most cars which have a smaller, potentially recessed button.

Either way, much to my surprise I started the car and it didnt go off. I hit the panic button again and it stopped. Afterwards I thought about it and decided it made sense... in a true "panic" situation, someones attacking me, I am running for my safety, want to alert someone, I wouldn't want to the car to stop making noise. Oh, car started, crisis adverted, guy with the shotgun stopped chasing me.... :lol:

Either way, wish the button wasnt so easy to hit accidentally.

plynn7 08-29-2013 08:25 AM

Try holding the panic button in for a few seconds versus just quick pressing it. I believe that will shut it off.

jacko15 08-29-2013 09:47 AM

Ahh, here we go again, from the manual:

"Using The Panic Alarm
To turn the Panic Alarm feature on or off, press and hold
the PANIC button on the RKE transmitter for at least one
second and release. When the Panic Alarm is on, the
headlights will turn on, the park lights will flash, the
horn will pulse on and off, and the interior lights will
turn on.
The Panic Alarm will stay on for three minutes unless
you turn it off by either pressing the PANIC button a
second time or drive the vehicle at a speed of 15 mph
(24 km/h) or greater.
NOTE:
The interior lights will turn off if you cycle the ignition
switch to the ACC or ON/RUN position while the
Panic Alarm is activated. However, the exterior lights
and horn will remain on.
You may need to be less than 35 ft (11 m) from the
vehicle when using the RKE transmitter to turn off the
Panic Alarm due to the radio frequency noises emitted
by the system." :)

weck 10-21-2013 12:21 PM

Is there a way to disable the panic button short of pulling the remote apart and removing the contact?

I have never, ever, accidentally hit the panic button on any other vehicle I own but this Jeep key fob design is horrible! I've found having anything else in the same pocket is asking for trouble with this thing.

TomHaxell 02-24-2014 10:59 AM

I am having the same problem. I'm setting mine off all the time, especially when leaning in to unload groceries etc. I would love to permanently disable the panic feature on the key.

bill_de 02-24-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomHaxell (Post 981354)
I am having the same problem. I'm setting mine off all the time, especially when leaning in to unload groceries etc. I would love to permanently disable the panic feature on the key.

A drop or two of epoxy.

----