Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Headlights in AUTO mode bouncing on and off (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/headlights-in-auto-mode-bouncing-on-and-off-64782.html)

mswlogo 08-29-2013 11:49 AM

Headlights in AUTO mode bouncing on and off

Anyone notice the headlights tend to really bounce off and on a lot in Auto mode. In the evening when it's still pretty bright out.

Is there a setting somewhere?

Driving home (30 minutes) they must of went on and off a dozen times.

They seem to come on too early (i.e. too bright) and not enough hysteresis, once they do.

bill_de 08-29-2013 12:15 PM

Re: Headlights in AUTO mode bouncing on and off

There is one winding stretch of road that drives the system nuts in the evening. There is a farm field on one side, with houses and large trees on the other side. When the sun is low, as I come around some turns, or wind up on the shady side of some big trees, the lights go on and off.

My last vehicle had a 3 position sensitivity setting, but I haven't found one on the Jeep.

---

weck 08-29-2013 12:39 PM

I turned mine off of auto on the drive home from delivery due to this exact behavior .. and have never used the auto setting since. I didn't want to annoy surrounding traffic with my lights going on and off.

Similar conditions, just happened to be about dusk with a setting sun and some cloud cover, hills, etc. varying the light level.

Aiyer 08-29-2013 01:25 PM

Our Jeep's are not as sensitive as my brother-in-law's 2012 Subaru. His headlights turn on every time he goes under an overpass or bridge for few secs.

Specx 08-29-2013 01:53 PM

I've seen this happen when I turn into my neighborhood, but all other areas it works great. As soon as I turn onto my street, the high beams come on and light up the houses in front of me. Most cases I don't mind, but when I'm coming home late at night, I can only imagine lighting up peoples bedrooms because of this.

dcar335i 08-29-2013 02:06 PM

I don't notice my lights turning on and off but I do see them coming on way too early. This causes the nav screen to dim, making it difficult to read, especially if I am wearing sunglasses at that time (yes it comes on with plenty of light out). When this happens, I simply adjust the dimming control wheel to the left of the steering wheel so I can see the display. Monor annoyance but it would be nice if we could adjust the sensitivity.

TurboRush 08-29-2013 05:28 PM

Yeah, I agree it's wayyyy too sensitive. I drive a lot of tree lined streets and theyre on off on off. I wish it had a sensitivity adjustment like my Acura had

Tony407 08-29-2013 10:26 PM

Yes, I have the same issue. They are definitely more finicky that other cars I've owned with auto headlights.

Tony

mswlogo 08-29-2013 11:33 PM

Does anyone know where the sensor is? Maybe it's poorly mounted and not getting a good view of light.

I agree it comes on way to early too and I have the same issue the Screen goes Dim when it's still too bright out.

I'm almost tempted to shut it off too.

My GC 2002 worked perfect and really like the feature when it works right.

Tony407 08-30-2013 01:26 AM

I could be wrong, but I don't think the sensor is not getting enough light, I just think the system is too quick to changes in light level. In other words, it's like the system is set to turn on the headlights after only a few seconds of "darkness." It would be nice to be able to increase the time needed. I don't need them turning on in a short tunnel, or when I go under a group of shaded trees for example.

Tony

walt_mink 08-30-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 884521)
They seem to come on too early (i.e. too bright) and not enough hysteresis, once they do.

I canít comment on the function, as I don't have my JGC yet, but I want to applaud you on the appropriate use of an obscure ten dollar word. :thumbsup:

peejym 08-30-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 884864)
Does anyone know where the sensor is? Maybe it's poorly mounted and not getting a good view of light.

I agree it comes on way to early too and I have the same issue the Screen goes Dim when it's still too bright out.

I'm almost tempted to shut it off too.

My GC 2002 worked perfect and really like the feature when it works right.

The sensor is on the dash right in the middle, on my 2014 lmited it is right by the center speaker, little tinted bubble.