Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Taking a new GC on a Roadtrip? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/taking-a-new-gc-on-a-roadtrip-64791.html)

SoulStealer 08-29-2013 02:12 PM

Taking a new GC on a Roadtrip?

I am picking up a MY14 laredo tomorrow, and was wondering if it was acceptable to right away take the car on a roadtrip to Vermont. I know it is preferable to stay under 60 or something while keeping it at different rpm ranges. Its mostly highway with the end bit some nice winding roads and traffic lights. Its about 150 miles to get there and back of course. Do you think this is a wise idea with a brand new engine?

bill_de 08-29-2013 03:27 PM

Re: Taking a new GC on a Roadtrip?

Just stay under 60 and follow the other guidelines. Leave 45 minutes earlier than planned and you'll still get there on time.

---

highoctane 08-29-2013 05:06 PM

You'll have no problems.

SoulStealer 08-29-2013 05:33 PM

Cool, thanks guys.

jeepinAl 08-29-2013 09:42 PM

Let us know how it goes. I too am going to do a road trip from the get-go. Pick it up in DC hopefully next week and drive to Charlotte. My theory ( albiet uneducated) is I'll exit the highway every 20-30mins to let the transmission shift down.

I did a road trip on a new 01 Cherokee...never a problem to this day.

SoulStealer 08-30-2013 10:23 AM

I will post up after the trip, im thinking of doing the same to let the transmission break-in. Curious to see if i should let the throttle open up a couple times there too.

highoctane 08-30-2013 10:42 AM

I bought my Trailhawk new and 400 miles after buying it, I drove it 2900 miles across country from PA to AZ. Had no issues at all.

bumpinjeep 08-30-2013 10:51 AM

I personally wouldn't based on what the manufacturer recommends but it's not my vehicle. I think you would be safe by pulling over every 30 minutes but hell that just sounds so damn inconvenient.

bumpinjeep 08-30-2013 10:52 AM

Also, I hope you already purchased the vehicle at the price that you really want. If the dealer knows that you NEED the vehicle, they will try to up-sale you and wont budge on pricing.

lstowell 08-30-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulStealer (Post 884615)
I am picking up a MY14 laredo tomorrow, and was wondering if it was acceptable to right away take the car on a roadtrip to Vermont. I know it is preferable to stay under 60 or something while keeping it at different rpm ranges. Its mostly highway with the end bit some nice winding roads and traffic lights. Its about 150 miles to get there and back of course. Do you think this is a wise idea with a brand new engine?

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and
drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km).
After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or
55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided.

---------------------------------------
Thats the official answer.

You would want to avoid running at any steady engine speed for any length of time during early miles. The tidbit about full throttle just means don't try to peel rubber, but that brief runs of full throttle are actually good for your engine during early miles.

Since you are on a trip, you could try playing with the paddle shifters, bumping it up and down to avoid steady engine speed. It won't let you either upshift or downshift if the resulting RPM is out of safe range.

My service reps also recommended using the sport mode a lot during early miles to help break in the engine.

SoulStealer 08-30-2013 11:59 AM

Awesome. Thanks guys I appreciate it!

whartung 08-30-2013 12:12 PM

So, drive in the slow lane, and pass aggressively when you have to :). Just stomp it. That should down shift a bit, give you some "brief full throttle". And you won't even have to think about it too much.