Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Shaking in seat after 65+MPH driving me crazy (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/shaking-in-seat-after-65-mph-driving-me-crazy-64815.html)

Discount80 08-30-2013 10:24 AM

Shaking in seat after 65+MPH driving me crazy

I have a 2012 Laredo X RWD v6 with the stock 18 inch wheels. I had to replace the 2 rear tires due to wear and ever since that I feel vibration in the seat and can watch the passenger side headrest vibrate like crazy.

I brought back the truck to have the balancing checked and they said they were out of balance so they re-balanced. Same thing no improvement.

Today I went somewhere completely different, different tech, different machine. They said the tires are out of balance. I just left there after they balanced them and now its just as bad if not worse.

Any ideas? Any recommendations or suggestions? Thank you in adavance this is driving me crazy.

2012 Summit 08-30-2013 01:03 PM

Re: Shaking in seat after 65+MPH driving me crazy

See if you can locate the Road Force balancer in your area.

Hunter GSP9700 Wheel vibration Control System solves wheel vibration and tire pull problems that balancers and aligners can't fix

This particular balancer will determine what's wrong and balance the wheel/tire if at all possible. If balancing is not possible it will determine the cause such as bent wheel, defective, or out of round tire, etc.

Discount80 08-31-2013 11:00 AM

Ok, this will make things a bit more mysterious. My wife has the same exact JGC same year, same model, same wheels with all OEM tires still, similar mileage about 7,000 miles less.

I decided to take hers yesterday and hers does the same exact thing. I have narrowed both of them down to about 72 MPH being the worst speed. Theres even some steering wheel shaking as well.

Any Ideas? I am lost.

jp467 08-31-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discount80 (Post 885008)
I have a 2012 Laredo X RWD v6 with the stock 18 inch wheels. I had to replace the 2 rear tires due to wear and ever since that I feel vibration in the seat and can watch the passenger side headrest vibrate like crazy.

I brought back the truck to have the balancing checked and they said they were out of balance so they re-balanced. Same thing no improvement.

Today I went somewhere completely different, different tech, different machine. They said the tires are out of balance. I just left there after they balanced them and now its just as bad if not worse.

Any ideas? Any recommendations or suggestions? Thank you in adavance this is driving me crazy.

I have never had a tire put on a balancing machine and not be out of balance. It sounds like a problem with one or both of the tires themselves.

Faustus 11-13-2013 10:56 PM

I have a 2013 WK2 SRT - same problem. After 6k miles I put on a new set of Pirellis and had the car aligned. That did not change anything. If I lower the headrest all the way the shaking is less pronounced and the noise of the clanging gone. It must be a harmonic frequency and has nothing to do with tires.

peckmv 11-14-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp467 (Post 885590)
I have never had a tire put on a balancing machine and not be out of balance. It sounds like a problem with one or both of the tires themselves.

Agreed. I replaced all 4 tires with Destinations and the problem is gone.