Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Question for those who change their own oil (Hemi) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/question-for-those-who-change-their-own-oil-hemi-64819.html)

14 GC 08-30-2013 11:07 AM

Question for those who change their own oil (Hemi)

I am about to change oil on my new 14 Summit w/ 5.7L V8. The oil filter mount has a "drip guide" (for lack of a better term). Does this guide keep the oil from getting all over the inside of the plastic tray, or does it make a mess anyway? I'm just wondering if I will need a bunch of paper towels on the inside of that area...

Also I am wondering about the fact that there is no cover for the oil access hole.

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6107ee3b.jpg

I was told at the dealer that they stopped using the cover starting with the 2012's. It seems like all kinds of snow/salt could get up in there during the winter - doesn't seem like a good idea. Does anyone know if pre-2012 covers will fit this? Or do they want it open for cooling or something else?

Thanks!

silvermax04 08-30-2013 11:27 AM

Re: Question for those who change their own oil (Hemi)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14 GC (Post 885041)
I am about to change oil on my new 14 Summit w/ 5.7L V8. The oil filter mount has a "drip guide" (for lack of a better term). Does this guide keep the oil from getting all over the inside of the plastic tray, or does it make a mess anyway? I'm just wondering if I will need a bunch of paper towels on the inside of that area...

Also I am wondering about the fact that there is no cover for the oil access hole.

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6107ee3b.jpg

I was told at the dealer that they stopped using the cover starting with the 2012's. It seems like all kinds of snow/salt could get up in there during the winter - doesn't seem like a good idea. Does anyone know if pre-2012 covers will fit this? Or do they want it open for cooling or something else?

Thanks!

This has come up before and you cannot buy the access panels that they used to put on V8s. Jeep basically just said they are not needed anymore. I agree with you that area could act as a scoop and pickup sand mud whatever when you are using your Jeep as a Jeep. Only solution I can up with was to buy and cut out the plastic piece from the belly pan of a V6 and create the access panel. check out the link below on it.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/belly-...-v8-63004.html

berk483 08-30-2013 02:27 PM

As for the oil question...yes it does still get all over when you take the filter off. At least, I haven't come up with any way to do it without making a mess.

bill_de 08-30-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berk483 (Post 885122)
As for the oil question...yes it does still get all over when you take the filter off. At least, I haven't come up with any way to do it without making a mess.

Drop the pan. I think it is six bolts. And, if you are willing to do that, you can swap the pan for one with no opening.

---

silvermax04 08-30-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 885126)
Drop the pan. I think it is six bolts. And, if you are willing to do that, you can swap the pan for one with no opening.

---

I was thinking of that Bill but after I saw the outline of that panel door on the solid belly pan when I bought it I decided to get creative and start cutting :), you are right though a few bolts and the whole pan is off.

berk483 08-30-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 885126)

---

This would be one of those 'DUH' moments for me.

Thanks

rich mac 08-30-2013 07:52 PM

I always take the panel off when changing the oil on my hemi, takes about 5 minutes and most of that time is saved with the easier access to the filter and plug.
I'd like to buy the panel with no opening, anyone have a part number?

silvermax04 08-30-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich mac (Post 885274)
I always take the panel off when changing the oil on my hemi, takes about 5 minutes and most of that time is saved with the easier access to the filter and plug.
I'd like to buy the panel with no opening, anyone have a part number?

I didn't do a direct comparison but when I bought the V6 one it appeared to be the same as the my V8 one just without the hole.

14 GC 08-31-2013 01:49 AM

Thanks to all for the info and link to the belly pan mod.

It seems like it would take less time to drop the pan than to clean up the mess.

Much Appreciated!

The Evil Twin 08-31-2013 08:15 AM

Haven't dropped the cover yet. Never made a mess. I just loosen the filter until oil starts dripping out. I then leave it like that while I drain the crankcase. After the crank is dry I spin the filter off the rest of the way.

binford6100 09-02-2013 10:26 AM

I loosen the filter and put a plastic bag over it before it starts to drip. Grab the bag with the filter trapped inside and lower though the hole.

I've done this several times and make almost no mess whatsoever.

silvermax04 09-02-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binford6100 (Post 886339)
I loosen the filter and put a plastic bag over it before it starts to drip. Grab the bag with the filter trapped inside and lower though the hole.

I've done this several times and make almost no mess whatsoever.

Good idea on the plastic bag, I am going to give that a try next time