Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Is the back up camera worth upgrading to the Limited trim. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/is-the-back-up-camera-worth-upgrading-to-the-limited-trim-64877.html)

dragon672 08-30-2013 08:03 PM

Is the back up camera worth upgrading to the Limited trim.

I've never owned a SUV that had a back up camera. I drove my brother's rental car which had one and I liked it. I was going to purchase a Laredo-E trim of the GJC as to try and cut down on some of the electronic bits. But the back up camera on the Limited really interests me. When I test drove the GJC it didn't have a back up camera. How good is the camera especially for a short person? Is it worth the upgrade to the Limited?

nek121328 08-30-2013 08:13 PM

Re: Is the back up camera worth upgrading to the Limited trim.

No back up camera option for the Laredo? I have one on the MY11 and love it. Hardly use the mirrors these days, especially lining up with the trailer.

2014GC 08-30-2013 08:21 PM

Defiantly worth the extra cost. One of the best I ever had on any vehicle. Excellent
resolution. Drove the wife's MB to the grocery tonight and didn't like hers as well as the GC. You really need to turn and look backward in the GC to back up. Lots of blind spots in the big mirrors. I have a bad neck and feel very secure using the back up camera. It also has audible sensors.

David_Hart 08-30-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon672 (Post 885282)
I've never owned a SUV that had a back up camera. I drove my brother's rental car which had one and I liked it. I was going to purchase a Laredo-E trim of the GJC as to try and cut down on some of the electronic bits. But the back up camera on the Limited really interests me. When I test drove the GJC it didn't have a back up camera. How good is the camera especially for a short person? Is it worth the upgrade to the Limited?

Short answer is a definite YES!

I had a 2003 Murano before I got the Jeep. The Murano didn't come with a backup camera, but I put one in when I changed out the Bose head unit for a Kenwood. Once I had it, I couldn't live without it and the Murano had better rear sight lines (larger rear window, lower to the ground) than the Jeep has.

The Jeep backup camera is a NICE setup. It gives a wide field of view and includes distance lines. The lines curve as you move the steering wheel to show the exact path you are going to take. You can tell if something is in your path. I am able to park my hitch ball almost dead center under the boat trailer receiver just using the camera. No need for anyone to guide me from behind. In addition, it also includes the rear sensors that chime when something is behind your, for those times you take your eyes off of the camera.

Do you absolutely need the ParkView Camera and Rear ParkSense? No, there are people who drive their Jeeps safely every day without these features. Would I recommend them to a friend? Definitely!!!

The Evil Twin 08-31-2013 07:55 AM

How much more is it? A couple hundred bucks? That would be less than $10/ month financed. A cheap farkle that might save you a ding in the bumper. A necessity? No. I used to drive a F350 without one (no sensors either) and managed to hook up a boat and camper just fine. Never backed into anything either. I do have it on my GC and love it, though. I still tow and it does make it a one try event.

AAAA 08-31-2013 11:33 AM

Yes. Allows you to see grocery carts, kids and other short people behind you.

cheapjeep 08-31-2013 11:39 AM

Worth it's weight in gold for not needing the wife's "help" hooking up the camper. I have one on the Jeep plus another radio one on the camper license plate. Great when you're in traffic.

f1anatic 08-31-2013 12:08 PM

It is an active, interactive safety feature. End of Story.
Their use for hooking up trailers, campers and so on is of secondary use.

Go ahead, buy the car without. Save some $$$. Next time you get sued for $500,000 because you scratched some irresponsible mother's toddler (who should have kept the kid by her hand instead of running through the parking lot) backing out of your parking spot, remember this post on the Jeep forum.

Jimbo107 08-31-2013 12:59 PM

Upgrade to the Limited, you won't be sorry. Definitely worth the extra cash.

DAVY27 08-31-2013 01:07 PM

cant you just fit an aftermarket one if you're just looking to get a rear cam?

Matterhorn 08-31-2013 06:16 PM

Backup camera is great but can bring on bad habits I've learned.

dragon672 08-31-2013 10:37 PM

Bad habits? What kind of bad habits?

I've decided to get the back up camera. Hopefully I will be getting my GJC within the next 2 weeks. I'll post pictures once I get it.