Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   Uh oh! No high range 4wd (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/uh-oh-no-high-range-4wd-64881.html)

cheapjeep 08-30-2013 09:52 PM

Uh oh! No high range 4wd

May have pushed the old girl too far with this move. Hopefully it's just low on fluid 'cause I noticed the rear output seal is leaking AGAIN and low lock works fine. If not the 247's coming out in favor of a 242HD. Great project for my first week with no garage.:mad::mad::mad: Never cared much for the 247 anyway. It had cold start reverse issues from day one. Finishing the lift is on hold again because I may have to drop the cross member. Damn:slapfight:

Trav1s 08-31-2013 07:04 AM

Re: Uh oh! No high range 4wd

I have the 242HD in the back of my mind if something happens to the 247. Have you tracked one down yet?

cheapjeep 08-31-2013 11:03 AM

Trav when I'm looking for stuff like this I go here. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market . I actually found one from a '03 plus the rear drive shaft and shifter for around $650. 20 mi. from my house "supposedly" with 40k on the clock. Don't know if I buy that part but I hear a lot of stories of people getting these rebuilt cases off the internet and getting the wrong one plus you still have to come up with a rear shaft or have yours cut. Car-part is a gold mine for finding stuff in your area. Like you this project has been on my mind for a while but I really didn't want to do it now. With this new house I'm neck deep in stuff to do plus the fact that I'm not going to have a garage till spring I really don't have the time or money to work on the Jeep right now especially outside. Fingers crossed that the fluid is just low till next summer but if not I guess it will be on stands in the driveway hillbilly style:lol:

Trav1s 08-31-2013 07:09 PM

If you could score all that for $650 I would jump on it.

Hillbilly Styel is priceless!

cheapjeep 09-18-2013 08:29 PM

Well it's official. The progressive coupler is shot.:(The fluid is full and clean. Dammit. Still juggling the 242/247 thing. Not sure what I'm gonna do there yet. I can find 247's for dirt everywhere though so I may put another one in due to time and budget constraints. We'll see. To add insult to injury I clubbed a deer Monday on the way to work.Took out the drivers fog light,washer reservoir,one pump and the fender liner. Couple hundred dollars of parts ordered. Considering I thought I hit it hard enough to see steam fly I was extremely lucky. Not so much as a mark or ding on anything painted. Still I hope that little bitch died a slow and painful death.:D