Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   New to the forum - Quick Question about Headlights (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/new-to-the-forum-quick-question-about-headlights-64885.html)

AceBeto 08-31-2013 12:23 AM

New to the forum - Quick Question about Headlights
 
Hello,

Im new to these forums so Hello everyone. Anyways, I currently have a GC Limited '14 and would like to know if its possible to get the srt8 headlights on my car. Also how much would it cost roughly if done at the dealer.

FryingPan 08-31-2013 10:26 AM

Re: New to the forum - Quick Question about Headlights
 
We're still trying to figure this out. The wiring harnesses are definitely different, but nobody has been able to determine if they can be adapted yet.

I've asked my dealer and they've got no idea if it can be done either.

TheSiltSurfer 08-31-2013 10:58 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXqM...e_gdata_player
This might help

AceBeto 08-31-2013 11:40 AM

Re: New to the forum - Quick Question about Headlights
 
I guess imma head to my dealer soon and ask. Those ugly yellow projectors that came with the car make it look so ugly imo. I'm willing to pay 1k+ for those lights too. I will post pics if it works out. Thanks

Dark_Shadow_GC 08-31-2013 02:36 PM

Re: New to the forum - Quick Question about Headlights
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AceBeto (Post 885579)
I guess imma head to my dealer soon and ask. Those ugly yellow projectors that came with the car make it look so ugly imo. I'm willing to pay 1k+ for those lights too. I will post pics if it works out. Thanks

I swapped out the overland headlights with the SRT ones on mine. You can take a look at this thread to see pics.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/dark-...and-64596.html

The SRT lights look way better IMO.

You can also look at installing HID's on what you have. That will give you the more "upscale" look and feel to it. And you wont have the yellow light color.

David_Hart 08-31-2013 09:03 PM

Re: New to the forum - Quick Question about Headlights
 
I also would like to change out the headlights for the Jeep HID headlights, I just couldn't justify the extra $4K for the luxury group just for that one feature (didn't want/need the other features in that group).

I read in another thread that the HID headlights have added harness adapters and added logic in one of the computer modules. I'm guessing its to run the steering directional motors and the automatic leveling mechanism.

Some people have installed HID adapter kits. From what I have read, though, they are illegal even though most people don't get stopped for it. My state, Massachusetts, is cracking down on them and is forcing people to remove them when they get their car inspected. There are very good reasons for this. Most people don't do it right and the headlights are blinding to other drivers at night.

I've ordered some OSRAM nightbreaker bulbs. They are supposed to be a bit whiter and throw more light. They aren't going to be anywhere near as good as HIDs, but they'll do for a while until someone can figure out how to do it legally.

FryingPan 09-02-2013 11:09 AM

Re: New to the forum - Quick Question about Headlights
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by David_Hart (Post 885755)
I also would like to change out the headlights for the Jeep HID headlights, I just couldn't justify the extra $4K for the luxury group just for that one feature (didn't want/need the other features in that group).

I read in another thread that the HID headlights have added harness adapters and added logic in one of the computer modules. I'm guessing its to run the steering directional motors and the automatic leveling mechanism.

Some people have installed HID adapter kits. From what I have read, though, they are illegal even though most people don't get stopped for it. My state, Massachusetts, is cracking down on them and is forcing people to remove them when they get their car inspected. There are very good reasons for this. Most people don't do it right and the headlights are blinding to other drivers at night.

I've ordered some OSRAM nightbreaker bulbs. They are supposed to be a bit whiter and throw more light. They aren't going to be anywhere near as good as HIDs, but they'll do for a while until someone can figure out how to do it legally.

In a projector type housing, aftermarket HIDs will keep the same lighting pattern as the stock halogens, but just be brighter and whiter. Unless they know exactly what they're looking for, nobody should be able to tell if they're aftermarket or OEM.

The problem comes from when people install HID bulbs in reflector-type housings and then they get light spilling everywhere and potentially being a blinding hazard to other drivers.

David_Hart 09-02-2013 02:40 PM

Re: New to the forum - Quick Question about Headlights
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FryingPan (Post 886362)
In a projector type housing, aftermarket HIDs will keep the same lighting pattern as the stock halogens, but just be brighter and whiter. Unless they know exactly what they're looking for, nobody should be able to tell if they're aftermarket or OEM.

The problem comes from when people install HID bulbs in reflector-type housings and then they get light spilling everywhere and potentially being a blinding hazard to other drivers.

Light spillage exists even with Halogen projectors, though not as bad as with reflectors and no, they won't keep the same light pattern. The problem, as I understand it, is that Halogen bulbs and HID bulbs have different light patterns. You need a specifically designed projector housing for HIDs to shape the light properly.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Personally, I plan on waiting to see if someone can come out with a kit to either use the factory HID lights or has a complete headlight replacement option. Until then, I'll live with the Halogens.

slawek65 09-02-2013 03:38 PM

Re: New to the forum - Quick Question about Headlights
 
Halogen projectors and hid projectors are not the same !!!!!

CNY_WK2 09-02-2013 04:21 PM

Re: New to the forum - Quick Question about Headlights
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FryingPan (Post 886362)
In a projector type housing, aftermarket HIDs will keep the same lighting pattern as the stock halogens, but just be brighter and whiter. Unless they know exactly what they're looking for, nobody should be able to tell if they're aftermarket or OEM.

The problem comes from when people install HID bulbs in reflector-type housings and then they get light spilling everywhere and potentially being a blinding hazard to other drivers.

This is why I enjoy the 600W extra on my trucks light bar. They blind me...I blind them.

GCLimited 09-03-2013 09:49 AM

Re: New to the forum - Quick Question about Headlights
 
I got rid of the yellow light coming from my headlights & fog lights by just replacing the halogen bulbs with better ones.

FryingPan 09-03-2013 04:29 PM

Re: New to the forum - Quick Question about Headlights
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by David_Hart (Post 886463)
Light spillage exists even with Halogen projectors, though not as bad as with reflectors and no, they won't keep the same light pattern. The problem, as I understand it, is that Halogen bulbs and HID bulbs have different light patterns. You need a specifically designed projector housing for HIDs to shape the light properly.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Personally, I plan on waiting to see if someone can come out with a kit to either use the factory HID lights or has a complete headlight replacement option. Until then, I'll live with the Halogens.

As much as I can appreciate an extremely verbose technical document put together by someone who is much more of an expert than I in the nuances of the technology, I feel that the difference in the actual pattern in the GC projectors is negligible at most based on my experience and observation alone. I'd see a real problem in this particular application if there was light being thrown all over the place, but the fact of the matter is that it's all going where it needs to go.

For where I live, I went with an aftermarket HID kit for the increased light output over the almost dim H11 halogens. Will I change to a dedicated housing once someone's figured out how to make it happen? Of course, but for now the aftermarket kit is working just fine and with minimal to no drawbacks.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community