Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   2014 Overland "Parksense" and trailers (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2014-overland-parksense-and-trailers-65019.html)

Bborzell 09-03-2013 08:47 PM

2014 Overland "Parksense" and trailers

I learned today that Parksense will complain loudly if a bike rack is installed. I also discovered the hard switch (as opposed to the soft switches in "Settings") that disables the Parksense thing.

After mounting the rack and trying to back out 80 feet through the breezeway between our house and garage, the chime drove me crazy until I was able to shift out of reverse. Finding the shut up button was a relief.

It did get me to wondering if this switch has to be thrown when backing up a trailer as in, do the sensors get upset by the proximity of a trailer?

Anyone hsve experience with this?

Jim_in_PA 09-03-2013 08:56 PM

Re: 2014 Overland "Parksense" and trailers

Yes, when I have the trailer on, I have to push the button. I leave it on while backing the ball under the hitch (and generally get that in one shot due to the backup camera pointing directly at the top of my hitch ball... :) ) and then kill it once everything is hooked up.

Bborzell 09-03-2013 09:00 PM

Thanks, Jim. Makes sense. But up until I found the shut off valve, I thought I'd never hear again.:eek:

Jim_in_PA 09-03-2013 09:15 PM

Yea, the chime is, um...persistent...

Coolspot 09-04-2013 11:51 AM

My brother Volvo deactivates park sensors automatically when a trailer is connected to the light harness... Would be a nice thing to have on our Jeep...

jacko15 09-04-2013 03:36 PM

Carry my bikes on a hitch rack all the time. Push the button when I back out of the garage or parking place, no problem. :D

lstowell 09-04-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA (Post 887240)
Yea, the chime is, um...persistent...

Its also rather lame sounding.
Too bad it isn't a soft sonar ping, where adding in a return echo would be a nice touch.

MichGeo 10-22-2013 04:56 PM

My 2014 JGC Summit beeped maddeningly when I backed up a trailer for the first time with it today. I was used to having an off button on our Ford and Honda Pilot, so figured there must be one on the Jeep. Couldn't find it, so went to the manual. The manual says there is one below the climate controls and even shows a picture. My Jeep has only 2 buttons there -- ECO and Stability Control -- spaced differently than the picture. Seems my only option is to put it in park and fumble through the touch-screen menus.

Is the Summit not supposed to have a button to turn off the park sense? Did they hide it somewhere?

Coolspot 10-22-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichGeo (Post 915382)
My 2014 JGC Summit beeped maddeningly when I backed up a trailer for the first time with it today. I was used to having an off button on our Ford and Honda Pilot, so figured there must be one on the Jeep. Couldn't find it, so went to the manual. The manual says there is one below the climate controls and even shows a picture. My Jeep has only 2 buttons there -- ECO and Stability Control -- spaced differently than the picture. Seems my only option is to put it in park and fumble through the touch-screen menus.

Is the Summit not supposed to have a button to turn off the park sense? Did they hide it somewhere?

My Overland has one...

Coolspot 10-22-2013 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 30683
Bottom left

MichGeo 10-22-2013 07:02 PM

Can't turn it off on the touchscreen either -- can only change the volume between low, med, high. Photo (hopefully) shows where the button should be according to the manual.

MichGeo 10-22-2013 07:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Photos attached?