Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   jeep 3.7 shooting flames, need advice (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/jeep-3-7-shooting-flames-need-advice-65057.html)

Strongjeff 09-04-2013 08:02 PM

jeep 3.7 shooting flames, need advice

this is self explanatory:

jeep 3.7 v6 blows blue flames - YouTube

jeepgcoman 09-04-2013 08:57 PM

Re: jeep 3.7 shooting flames, need advice

Interesting, Jeff!! I wouldn't think that, if the cats. are doing their job, there should be anything behind the cats. (fuel) that would allow combustion to occur. The cats. are suppose to burn any unburned fuel before it gets to the tailpipe.

Oops, I see you deleted the cats. That's why this is happening......unburned fuel being ignited in the tailpipe. Kind of cool looking though....like a top fuel dragster. Do you have a way of monitoring your air/fuel ratios? This can be tough on mufflers, depending on how far back into the system the flame is going.

Strongjeff 09-04-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 887813)
Interesting, Jeff!! I wouldn't think that, if the cats. are doing their job, there should be anything behind the cats. (fuel) that would allow combustion to occur. The cats. are suppose to burn any unburned fuel before it gets to the tailpipe.

Oops, I see you deleted the cats. That's why this is happening......unburned fuel being ignited in the tailpipe. Kind of cool looking though....like a top fuel dragster. Do you have a way of monitoring your air/fuel ratios? This can be tough on mufflers, depending on how far back into the system the flame is going.

I just recently put the cats back on, this was just after porting out intake manifold runners.

Update; its running fine now, I think it just needed to relearn whats going on

Baalic 09-04-2013 11:55 PM

Man, I woulda sported the flaming exhaust myself!! lol

Strongjeff 09-05-2013 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baalic (Post 887897)
Man, I woulda sported the flaming exhaust myself!! lol

it was doing the flames with the cats on

Baalic 09-05-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongjeff (Post 887964)

it was doing the flames with the cats on

Ok?? lol i still liked the flaming exhaust!! lol. But I'm a hot rodder lol.

Strongjeff 09-05-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baalic (Post 888142)
Ok?? lol i still liked the flaming exhaust!! lol. But I'm a hot rodder lol.

lol I was tired yesterday when I posted that, I like flames too, but not on acceleration. id rather have it when letting of the gas

Strongjeff 09-05-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 887813)

for a long while I ran no cats with glasspacks and never gotten flames, if an engine is running the way its supposed to, you will never get flames that far out, it was running extremely rich while trying to relearn its parameters. that is why I had to keep giving it gas so it would stay running....it was cool tho, I admit that:thumbsup: