Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f157/)
-   -   Diesel - engine block heater? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f157/diesel-engine-block-heater-65084.html)

Jarek0423 09-05-2013 04:26 PM

Diesel - engine block heater?
 
I'm ordering a diesel - do I need the engine block heater? What does it do exactly? I'm in NYC and go up north a lot in the winter.

Matt'sGC 09-05-2013 04:56 PM

The block heater plugs into a 120V outlet and keeps the engine block warm for easier starts in very cold weather. Diesels have come a long way starting in cold weather (my wife's Jetta TDI has glow plugs), but I like to have the extra assurance when the weather is predicted to dip below 0 overnight.
Her TDI really doesn't like to start when it gets that cold.

Schmelz 09-05-2013 05:36 PM

Anybody know how much current the block heater pulls? I was thinking of putting it on a light timer in the winter if the draw is not too high.

Jarek0423 09-05-2013 07:57 PM

Re: Diesel - engine block heater?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt'sGC (Post 888325)
The block heater plugs into a 120V outlet and keeps the engine block warm for easier starts in very cold weather. Diesels have come a long way starting in cold weather (my wife's Jetta TDI has glow plugs), but I like to have the extra assurance when the weather is predicted to dip below 0 overnight.
Her TDI really doesn't like to start when it gets that cold.

Thanks. Thank I'm going to add it then - seems like a no-brainer given it's 95$... Can't hurt to have it.

Red G8R 09-06-2013 05:44 PM

Re: Diesel - engine block heater?
 
Block heaters warm the engine coolant. It's standard here in Canada and I use it whenever the overnight temperature is expected below -10C. I don't know how much current is used but I have mine on a timer which goes on about 3 hrs before my daily commute.

shoestring 09-06-2013 06:02 PM

Re: Diesel - engine block heater?
 
I ordered a block heater on my diesel as well...

I'm sure this is a dumb question but I'll ask for piece of mind. Is there anything wrong with using the remote start and having the car run a while before you go outside and unplug the heater?

Schmelz 09-06-2013 06:23 PM

So a timer works, good. Just didn't want to burn the house down. Don't know anyone that uses a block heater where I live, might only get to 10 below a few times in a winter. I thought I would be on the safe side and try to baby the CRD.

The Evil Twin 09-06-2013 08:41 PM

Re: Diesel - engine block heater?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoestring (Post 889014)
I ordered a block heater on my diesel as well...

I'm sure this is a dumb question but I'll ask for piece of mind. Is there anything wrong with using the remote start and having the car run a while before you go outside and unplug the heater?

Good thing you asked! None of the heater manufacturers recommend that the engine be started while the heater is plugged in. Now, the problem could be easily solved by setting a timer on the outlet to go ON 4 hours before you leave then OFF 30 minutes before you leave. However, with a block heater there is really no reason to remote start- heat will be pretty immediate.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmelz (Post 888346)
Anybody know how much current the block heater pulls? I was thinking of putting it on a light timer in the winter if the draw is not too high.

400-600 watts depending on manufacturer.

nek121328 09-06-2013 10:27 PM

Re: Diesel - engine block heater?
 
A block heater up nawth is a cheap investment. Have one for the Hemi and would plug it into a timer when needed.

ExcursionDiesel 09-06-2013 11:32 PM

The other advantage is that a cold diesel is hell on a cold battery. Diesels have 18:1 compression and draw more current when cranking. A weak (or cold) battery will strain to start a cold diesel. I don't think Jeep is using a bigger battery either. My 3.0L Mercedes has a huge battery.

Diesels require a minimum cranking rpm to fire. If the starter won't spin it fast enough due to a cold battery and thick oil, game over. Newer diesels do better but the laws of physics still apply. If its going to be really cold, plug it up!

bd

predator 09-08-2013 12:19 AM

Re: Diesel - engine block heater?
 
Any chance of a photo of the diesel block heater fitted to the GC wk2 2013 onwards. I am trying to find a part number for it so that I can fit one for my jeep GC WK2 2011 Motori diesel 3.0 V6. If one is fitted to current diesel engine then you should be able to buy a replacement?

ExcursionDiesel 09-08-2013 01:18 AM

It has been mentioned that all VM 3.0 diesels have the heater. The $95 is for the chord!

bd


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community