Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   No GC for me. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/no-gc-for-me-65102.html)

Pacificblue 09-06-2013 12:28 AM

No GC for me.

I am so bummed out. A Laredo E with the weather package for QTII and the locker would be my perfect ride. The Pentastar with the 8 speed tranny are incredible, they put it in the Dodge Charger for crying out loud.

I don't want the V8 or the diesel for my own reasons. I'd be willing to pay for leather, a sunroof, or any amount of other crap I don't want if I could get the locker and the V6. But it's not to be.

I'll probably go with another Subaru, as boring as they are. The two speed transfer case and Select-Trac are a scosh better but it's the locker that makes the difference between getting stuck and coming home. I'm out in the boonies by myself most of the time, spending $40K for an almost good enough off road truck just sucks donkey d****, IMHO.

Thumbs down to Jeep for their marketing stupidity. But thumbs up to the Jeep Garage forum, it's a great source of good info, and I thank everyone who contributes,

Truly blue in the far pacific.

2012 Summit 09-06-2013 07:05 AM

Re: No GC for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pacificblue (Post 888551)
I am so bummed out. A Laredo E with the weather package for QTII and the locker would be my perfect ride. The Pentastar with the 8 speed tranny are incredible, they put it in the Dodge Charger for crying out loud.

I don't want the V8 or the diesel for my own reasons. I'd be willing to pay for leather, a sunroof, or any amount of other crap I don't want if I could get the locker and the V6. But it's not to be.

I'll probably go with another Subaru, as boring as they are. The two speed transfer case and Select-Trac are a scosh better but it's the locker that makes the difference between getting stuck and coming home. I'm out in the boonies by myself most of the time, spending $40K for an almost good enough off road truck just sucks donkey d****, IMHO.

Thumbs down to Jeep for their marketing stupidity. But thumbs up to the Jeep Garage forum, it's a great source of good info, and I thank everyone who contributes,

"I'll probably go with another Subaru, as boring as they are". You said it, not me!

mswlogo 09-06-2013 08:07 AM

With the ABS type "Locking" you should not need a locking differential.

If you need to constantly "paddle" in mud, sand or snow then s locked diff is good.

But to get "unstuck" you should not need the lock.

If a wheel slips the ABS will pulse that wheel so that the power goes to the wheel that is not slipping.

I would get the 2 speed transfer case that does allow locking front to back.

Rent one and try it.

JABEACHFANZ 09-06-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Honestly, I was hesitant on buying the V6 without the locker. I drive about 100 miles per year on the beach of Fort Fisher, NC. The sand is DEEP and my my jeep is has battle it very well. I have no regrets. The Jeep truly is off road capable without the locker.

Barboots 09-06-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JABEACHFANZ (Post 888641)
Honestly, I was hesitant on buying the V6 without the locker. I drive about 100 miles per year on the beach of Fort Fisher, NC. The sand is DEEP and my my jeep is has battle it very well. I have no regrets. The Jeep truly is off road capable without the locker.

In my opinion, lockers are of negligible assistance in sand. If your wheels are spinning then your pressures are not low enough. I do most of my sand driving in AWD (ie: no centre diff lock) and have never used the rear ARB Air Locker in sand except for steep, tramped out sand hill tracks.

In other terrain, traction control does pretty well... almost as well as a locker... provided you do not need it continuously on long obstacles.

Cheers,
Steve

4jeepdiesel 09-06-2013 09:07 AM

take a look at the cherokee trailhawk. I think it's fugly but I think it has good guts to it.

Shannon 09-06-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

If you think Subaru and Jeep are even in the same class when it comes to off roading, you might want to quit smoking crack. Jeep is the gold standard when it comes to 4X4. When you get stuck in your Subaru, call a Jeep owner to tow you out!!! :slapfight:

The Evil Twin 09-06-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

I'll probably go with another Subaru, as boring as they are. .

Hey hey hey..... I have one of those too :o
Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 888640)
With the ABS type "Locking" you should not need a locking differential.

If a wheel slips the ABS will pulse that wheel so that the power goes to the wheel that is not slipping.

That is how Subaru does it.

In most cases, ground clearance is what makes the difference in getting stuck or going home. I've built several Wranglers; some with ARB type lockers and some with TrueTrac type (posi) lockers and some without. In all the off road miles traction was not as big a limit as was clearance. Heck, my first one i had to use the brakes manually to transfer torque. It didn't have the fancy ABS system doing it for me :cool:

Jim_in_PA 09-06-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JABEACHFANZ (Post 888641)

Having just drove that specific beach last week on vacation, I agree that the Jeep handles it beautifully. And mine had stock Forteras on it with 22K miles on them...and I didn't even air them down as much as I should have...

AAAA 09-06-2013 12:20 PM

I was a Subaru fan before becoming a Jeep fan. (And I also own a Subaru now.) A locking differential was more necessary 30 years ago before all the new fangled computer controlled brakes and wheel spin control. You will not need it unless you plan on doing real serious nail biting off roading.

kkreit01 09-06-2013 02:16 PM

I think a WK2 with QT1 will go anywhere a Forester will.

Bikemobile 09-06-2013 02:21 PM

Sounds to me like better a/t tires and abls will trump your locker.