Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Heat not hot enough? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/heat-not-hot-enough-65109.html)

jeepinAl 09-06-2013 09:45 AM

Heat not hot enough?

I some what piggy-backed on the "haywire A/C" thread, but want to get one about heat not hot enough.

Driving home last night (delivery day) with the windows down I used the heat. it seemed to be almost fan temperature through the entire range of temperature settings. It would ONLY get hot when at the MAX setting ( or whatever the top label is). A/C works fine (I think). Ideas?

Al

(august 9th build)

jeepinAl 09-06-2013 10:03 AM

Re: Heat not hot enough?

Disregard...for now. Just ran the Jeep from full cold for a couple minutes to full hot and the heat seems to adjust with temperature selection.

For the worry worts (which I somewhat was), tranny shifts great and got 23.0 (evic) on the ride home through the Skyline Drive/ Blue Ridge Parkway

jeepinAl 09-20-2013 12:23 PM

Three posts by myself...it's like I'm typing to myself:D

But anyway, my issue seems to be back. I'm taking it in next Wednesday to have the dealer look at it.

Can someone confirm that the/ their heater works the way I think it should:

On manual if the heat of 82 is selected then the output of the heat should be, well, 82-ish? No matter what the temperature outside/ on temp gauge is. A constant heat output

Now if it's 90 out and I select Auto and 82 then cooler air would come out ( maybe a/c?)

I'm getting cooler/ vent air at selected 82 in manual mode and it's not until I get to "HI" does it actually get heat.

Al

weck 09-20-2013 12:53 PM

The temperature is a set target temp for the cabin, not a temp for the air coming out. Kinda like the thermostat in your house, there is a ambient air sensor (or several) in the car and it also probably uses the light sensor on top of the dash to gauge solar heat gain.

On mine, the temp coming out is still mixed whether it is on auto or manual, auto just seems to like to take over the fan setting and vent settings as well.

I would expect that, if the vehicle is really cold and you set it for say, 68 degrees, your are going to get dragon heat out of the vents until the cabin gets closer to that temperature. Vice versa, 90 degree interior with it set at 68, you'll get max AC coming out.

I suspect in your 90 versus 82 scenario, the reading it was getting inside the car was not far enough off of 82 to get the AC to kick in.:confused:

jeepinAl 09-20-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weck (Post 896812)
On mine, the temp coming out is still mixed whether it is on auto or manual, auto just seems to like to take over the fan setting and vent settings as well.

That's what I'm afraid of. If that's the case, then that's lame:mad:. Manual should be manual. Not a big deal but when I'm driving with the windows down ( it's a Jeep...outdoors and all) I would like some warm air on my feet...not so on this pseudo manual/ auto temperature selection.

Al

jeepinAl 10-03-2013 02:07 PM

Welcome to my blog:)

Anyways as we transition into winter I have a feeling this subject might come up again. Picking my '14 Limited from the dealer in 20 minutes after being in twice because of this "heat problem".

They compared mine with another limited (w/8.4an) and it was the same. Set a temp and it would fluctuate between warm air-vent-cool-vent. this is all on manual settings. There are those that say, "well, it's trying to maintain that temp." I say if that's the case for MANUAL control then that is LAME:mad::mad: The tech folks agreed with me.

I said I test drove a Laredo and it was perfect, even a nice divide between warm on one side and cool on the other. I was told it's a different system between the two models??

so for those that keep the windows up all the time, this '14 jeep is great. For those, like myslef, who like a lil fresh air with windows down/ sun roof open...well, the word LAME comes to mind.

the tech/ dealership was hoping that it's a software issue...that'll come...sometime

Al

lstowell 10-03-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepinAl (Post 896805)
Three posts by myself...it's like I'm typing to myself:D

But anyway, my issue seems to be back. I'm taking it in next Wednesday to have the dealer look at it.

Can someone confirm that the/ their heater works the way I think it should:

On manual if the heat of 82 is selected then the output of the heat should be, well, 82-ish? No matter what the temperature outside/ on temp gauge is. A constant heat output

Now if it's 90 out and I select Auto and 82 then cooler air would come out ( maybe a/c?)

I'm getting cooler/ vent air at selected 82 in manual mode and it's not until I get to "HI" does it actually get heat.

Al

If you set the temp to 82, it should try to maintain the interior [on your side if you have the split system] at 82, using heat or cooling as required. Seems to work except when the outside temp is close to the desired inside temp and the fans just refuse to stay up high enough to vent the interior.

Have no idea where the sampling is done on the WK2, it used to be a little fan and vent on the ZJ, where that fan was almost British in its reliability.