Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Cherokee vs Durango - surprisingly little price difference

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  grandriver125 
#1 · (Edited)
Now that the prices are out, we can find interesting comparisons. For example, consider the 2014 Cherokee vs the 2014 Durango, both Limited versions:

Durango Limited RWD invoice $40,527 with V8, 2nd row captain’s chairs, navigation and power lift gate, Safety/Security and Convenience (cross traffic, rain sensing wipers) and standard: tri-zone automatic HVAC, remote start, Homelink, rear camera
MPG 14/23

Cherokee Limited AWD(drives more like RWD) invoice: $36,366 with V6, navigation, luxury, and technology and standard: remote start, rear camera, Homelink
MPG19/27

The differences are:
$4,161 (11.4% more to get a Durango instead of a Cherokee, or 10.3% less to get a Cherokee instead of a Durango)
easier to park the Cherokee
more space in the Durango
less fuel used by the Cherokee
a few more fancy features on the Durango

By the way, the Grand Cherokee Limited (RWD, V8) with similar equipment is even more expensive, with an invoice price of $43,195.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Now that the prices are out, we can find interesting comparisons. For example, consider the 2014 Cherokee vs the 2014 Durango, both Limited versions:

Durango Limited RWD invoice $40,527 with V8, 2nd row captain’s chairs, navigation and power lift gate, Safety/Security and Convenience (cross traffic, rain sensing wipers) and standard: tri-zone automatic HVAC, remote start, Homelink, rear camera
MPG 14/23

Cherokee Limited AWD(drives more like RWD) invoice: $36,366 with V6, navigation, luxury, and technology and standard: remote start, rear camera, Homelink
MPG19/27

The differences are:
$4,161 (11.4% more to get a Durango instead of a Cherokee, or 10.3% less to get a Cherokee instead of a Durango)
easier to park the Cherokee
more space in the Durango
less fuel used by the Cherokee
a few more fancy features on the Durango

By the way, the Cherokee Limited (RWD, V8) with similar equipment is even more expensive, with an invoice price of $43,195.
This is the CHEROKEE forum not the GRAND CHEROKEE forum. Completely different vehicles. There is no V8 option for the CHEROKEE. Some of you info seems to match the CHEROKEE but some seems to be the GRAND CHEROKEE????

#4 ·
They are significantly different vehicles, so YMMV...

I don't think that someone seriously considering one would seriously consider the other, but again it depends on what you are looking for.

...tom

#10 ·
I dont think these two vehicles are competing with each other for sales. Just because they have a close MSRP doesn't mean they are in the same vehicle class.
In all seriousness, the cherokee is a tall dodge dart/fiat. It's mostly FWD and sends power to the rear when the front slips. Its a cute-ute.
The Durango is essentially a tall seating van. It has 3 rows, heavy, can't exactly go off road unless you're on a soccer field or something.
They are targeting two different audiences. Its like comparing a Honda Accord Hybrid to a cherokee because they have similar MSRPs.

#11 ·
The Cherokee also disconnects the rear axle when 2WD is being used and that results in reduced drive line drag and improved mileage. (this according to Jeep).

All AWD/4WD vehicles we've owned sure showed the mileage penalty vs their 2WD counterparts.

When an apples to apples price comparison is made I think there is a bigger differential and I'll do some builds and return with the results.

Also, if someone wants an AWD or 4WD why would they even think of a 2WD Durango. I can see considering a Durango when I trade my 2012 T&C and it sure will NOT be 2WD.

#13 ·
I've got an Escape and we are getting rid of it for a Cherokee Ltd. So hopefully it escapes me too. :)

But I agree with you. I don't see the logic in the comparison the OP made.

#15 ·
Not in Canada. On the Jeep website I priced out a 4WD Durango with close to the same options (some were not available on the 2013 Durango) as our Cherokee that is on order and the difference here was MORE than $10,000.
That might reflect the Canadian shafting factor. Surprisingly the Cherokee price in Canada for what we ordered is only around $2500 more in Canada.

The Durango Limited was not a model in 2013. To get a firm MSRP I'm inclined to think one has to wait until the build and price option appears for the 2014.

I just checked the US MSRP for a Cherokee Limited for an identical config to my order and the difference in price appears to be less than $2000 (US doesn't show freight and Canada does - so I don't know status of that item - if it has to be added in the US then the difference will be much closer than I've seen in some time).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.