Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   2014 GC Limited rear shock noise (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/2014-gc-limited-rear-shock-noise-65123.html)

bennfun 09-06-2013 02:58 PM

2014 GC Limited rear shock noise

Some other owner threads have talked about rear suspension noises being caused by the load leveling shocks that come with the tow pkg. At my recent dealer visit I discussed with the mechanic and he agrees with this diagnosis. He inspected sway bar bushings and upper shock mounts and found no issues. He says the shocks can make noise (he road tested and heard the noise) especially with no load on them & tends to go away under a tow load. I'm not satisfied with hearing that this is "normal" on a new $38,000 vehicle. I plan to discuss replacing these leveling shocks with the standard shocks with the service mgr. Has anyone been down this road, ie. will Chrysler authorize the dealer to do this?

NEM835 09-07-2013 01:11 PM

This problem is pretty well documented here on the forum. There was a TSB out on it for 13 and below I believe. I had my 14 Limited in at 800 miles for the thumping noise. The rear load leveling shocks were replaced with part # 68069680AE. My Jeep is a Feb build and don't know if this is the same part number originally on it or if it is a revised shock absorber. I still have a very slight thumping noise over bumps but it is ten times better than it was and as mine sounds now I would believe it to be normal.

Prestone 09-07-2013 01:16 PM

Do u by a chance have a link to where the tsb is talked about? I have a 13 with tow and I only noticed the rear shock thump after a long towing trip. What does the tsb fix? Thanks in advance

NEM835 09-07-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prestone (Post 889502)
Do u by a chance have a link to where the tsb is talked about? I have a 13 with tow and I only noticed the rear shock thump after a long towing trip. What does the tsb fix? Thanks in advance

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_1700513.pdf

NEM835 09-07-2013 01:36 PM

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_1700513.pdf

JeepTek78 09-13-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennfun (Post 888878)
Some other owner threads have talked about rear suspension noises being caused by the load leveling shocks that come with the tow pkg. At my recent dealer visit I discussed with the mechanic and he agrees with this diagnosis. He inspected sway bar bushings and upper shock mounts and found no issues. He says the shocks can make noise (he road tested and heard the noise) especially with no load on them & tends to go away under a tow load. I'm not satisfied with hearing that this is "normal" on a new $38,000 vehicle. I plan to discuss replacing these leveling shocks with the standard shocks with the service mgr. Has anyone been down this road, ie. will Chrysler authorize the dealer to do this?

Chrysler is aware of this issue and developing a fix there is a star case about it that has us remove rear shocks and drive vehicle to verify noise is no longer present then star case states to not replace anything until a fix is created . I would not put the normal shocks on as you paid extra for the load leveling suspension .

NEM835 09-13-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepTek78 (Post 892586)

Chrysler is aware of this issue and developing a fix there is a star case about it that has us remove rear shocks and drive vehicle to verify noise is no longer present then star case states to not replace anything until a fix is created . I would not put the normal shocks on as you paid extra for the load leveling suspension .

My 14 GC Limited had new rears put on at 800 miles. They put the AE version on it and no problem yet with 1200 additional miles on them. Do you know what shock originally came on it and if the AE revision is the most current? Thanks

Kneichko 11-22-2013 09:01 AM

Re: 2014 GC Limited rear shock noise

I have a 13 grand cherokee and I have a clunk that sounds like it comes from the front left side. Any possibility of it being the same thing or front shock issue? Thanks

Prestone 11-22-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kneichko (Post 934180)
I have a 13 grand cherokee and I have a clunk that sounds like it comes from the front left side. Any possibility of it being the same thing or front shock issue? Thanks

Yes, I have a 13 limited with load leveling shocks and mine has the suspension knock. Last time I was at the dealership they tried to tell me it was normal.... I felt like saying let me drive a new one off the lot.

Sandjones 01-13-2014 08:21 PM

I have a 2014 GC Limited that has done 3000km. I too had muffled thumping noise in rear and had the shocks replaced at 600km. This noise did not go away and the replacement shocks made the same noise. These were again replaced at 1500Km and the noise is still there. Service Department baffled but it goes back next week for yet another look at the rear end to see what is causing the muffled knock in the back end. Something tells me it is not the shockers….any suggestions..

Prestone 01-14-2014 12:39 AM

I think it is the shocks, thats why the sound goes away and them comes back down the road.

Sandjones 01-14-2014 01:51 AM

Thanks Prestone - Trouble is the noise is there all the time 0 to about 60Km/h particularly.