Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Long term storage questions (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/long-term-storage-questions-65163.html)

mrfixxit 09-07-2013 06:05 AM

Long term storage questions

Hey guys I am going on a military deployment and will be storing my jeep in my garage for around 6 months.
Do you all have any tips?
Should I keep the gas tank full or near empty?
I will have my wife start it up about every month or so.
Thanks,

mceb 09-07-2013 06:44 AM

I keep roadster in storage all winter. Full tank of gas with stabil added. Also have it on a trickle charger whole time. Starts like a champ every spring.

Shannon 09-07-2013 09:22 AM

Re: Long term storage questions

Also, wouldn't hurt to put it on blocks so the tires don't get a flat spot. Definitely full of gas with added stabil.

David_Hart 09-07-2013 10:59 AM

According to my 2014 manual, Jeep recommends disconnecting the battery if you plan on parking it for two weeks or more.

tony4311 09-07-2013 11:15 AM

I store my other care every winter.

Give a good wash beforehand of course.

I leave it on the ground and just over inflate the tires to prevent flat spotting.

Always a full tank of gas to prevent moisture build up. In fact it's the only time I ever add a bit more after the pump stops itself. Add the sta-bil before the final fill so it gets mixed up well through the whole system on the drive home.

Don't have her start it regularly, there's no point. The hardest part about the storage is the first dry start. Once the fluids settle down after awhile there's no lubrication from the oil when you start it. It's brief but it's dry. Starting it monthly only puts your engine through that more than it needs.

To keep the interior from getting musty I get two of the arm & hammer fridge baking soda boxes. Put them on a paper plate along with a dryer sheet. That's in my little hatchback. If it was the GC I'd probably do three of each. One in front, middle and back.

I also take clean shop rags and put them under each wiper to help stop them from sticking to the window.

I use a car cover as well but if it's the only time you're going to do it I'd just use whatever you had on hand rather than spend the money on a cover to use it once.

A lot of people use trickle chargers but I've always just disconnected the battery and it starts fine. Might need a jump after 6 months though, maybe not if the battery is new enough though.

TurboRush 09-07-2013 07:23 PM

I store another car every winter (and depending on my schedule it could sit for a month+ in the summer unplanned) it's pretty simple from and electronics perspective so I just roll it in, lock her up, walk away (its a 2006). Battery is 7 years old at this point and she still fires fine with no tender, etc. It has super soft near R compounds and no issues with flat spotting or anything like that.

With the JGC, I'd disconnect the battery and leave it at that. No need to get it off the tires or anything like that. When you fire it back up for the first time I'd toss some dry gas in it, top the tank, go about your business.

JGC4x4 09-07-2013 07:49 PM

I follow all the procedures mentioned here except I always have a trickle charger on my batteries. I use a trickle charger even if the battery is disconnected.

JWS360 09-07-2013 08:50 PM

MARINE grade sta-bil is best

Since we have to use crap ethanol gas I'd use the blue-purple color "Marine" grade Sta-Bil. Add in a long term storage dose (I think its 1 oz to 5 gallons) and then an extra 20%. Run the vehicle to ensure the mix is in the engine.

Putting up on blocks is good as is either disconnecting the battery or using a battery tender.

mrfixxit 09-12-2013 08:02 AM

Thanks for the info. I would rather not put it on blocks, I have kids and don't want it to fall on them. So what pressure should I inflate the tires to?
Thanks

TurboRush 09-12-2013 08:06 AM

As long as they arent flat or super inflated before you park it you should be fine.

When you pull it out, check the pressures, adjust as necessary and drive. They might be a little bumpy for the first day since they have been sitting on one spot, but that goes away pretty quickly.

Red G8R 09-12-2013 08:07 AM

I don't put mine on blocks but instead store with 40 psi in all tires.
Good luck on your deployment.

jacko15 09-12-2013 10:15 AM

When I stored my motorcycles for the winter I used to put pieces of 5/4 wood planks under the wheels to keep them a little insulated from the cold concrete. Just throwing out an idea.