Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Mirrors (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/mirrors-65216.html)

Shannon 09-08-2013 04:40 PM

Mirrors

I have always used fish eye mirrors attached to my side mirrors. Does anyone know how this will effect the blind spot monitoring on the Jeeps with advanced tech group?

plynn7 09-08-2013 06:46 PM

Re: Mirrors

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon (Post 890028)
I have always used fish eye mirrors attached to my side mirrors. Does anyone know how this will effect the blind spot monitoring on the Jeeps with advanced tech group?

It would not affect the system other then covering the warning being displayed in the mirror. There is a yellow triangle that comes on, it is located in the top outside part of the mirror.

BLIND SPOT MONITORING (BSM) — IF EQUIPPED
The Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) system uses two radarbased
sensors, located inside the rear bumper fascia, to
detect highway licensable vehicles (automobiles, trucks,
motorcycles, etc.) that enter the blind spot zones from the

rear/front/side of the vehicle.

BobsWK2 09-08-2013 06:52 PM

Won't affect the BSMS at all. The sensors are on each side near the rear of the vehicle.

Todd3.6 09-09-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon (Post 890028)

My dad used to do the same years ago with his mid-70s Ford E-250, but then again it had large mirrors.

I've found that if you adjust your mirrors out farther so that you actually have to lean a little to that side (left for driver's mirror, right for passenger mirror) to see the side of the vehicle, then your blind spots are reduced considerably.

Between having my mirrors adjusted that way and a quick glance over either shoulder (depending on which way you are merging), the only time I've been surprised is when someone is driving much faster than me and I missed them coming up on me.

jacko15 09-09-2013 07:17 PM

If you google rear view mirror adjusting, or something like that, you will find a lot of info on adjusting mirrors. After a little study I began to realize most people don't have their mirrors adjusted properly.

bill_de 09-09-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd3.6 (Post 890593)
My dad used to do the same years ago with his mid-70s Ford E-250, but then again it had large mirrors.

I've found that if you adjust your mirrors out farther so that you actually have to lean a little to that side (left for driver's mirror, right for passenger mirror) to see the side of the vehicle, then your blind spots are reduced considerably.

Between having my mirrors adjusted that way and a quick glance over either shoulder (depending on which way you are merging), the only time I've been surprised is when someone is driving much faster than me and I missed them coming up on me.

I adjust the drivers mirror out a little, but use a small, spot mirror on the lower inside edge of the mirror. If something comes up close on my left side, I can see it in the spot mirror all the way until I can look to my left and look the other driver in the eyes. I've been using that method since '87, when a friend of mine stuck a spot mirror in that position on my Bronco II.

Most right side mirrors are slightly convex and give pretty good coverage.

In either case, I still look over my shoulder ... mostly out of habit.

---