Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   2014 Uconnect Media questions (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/2014-uconnect-media-questions-65237.html)

Briant73 09-09-2013 09:49 AM

2014 Uconnect Media questions

I was playing with putting music on an SD card and have some questions/observations about the process -

What is the largest size album artwork can be? I found out 1000x1000 embedded doesn't show up on the screen just shows the generic system album picture instead.

I went with MP3 for my CD rips because MP3 is supported almost everywhere but is there a reason to use WMA over mp3? I used the latest lame encoder with Variable Bit Rate of -v 2 for most of my rips. Also does the system support just MP3 and WMA for audio files?

I built my folders like this - Artist - Albums (with songs inside the corresponding album folder). I quickly discovered Uconnect seems to care most about Album names when forward/reverse when playing a song so what I did for albums with such names as "Greatest Hits" is rename "Greatest Hits - Artist Name" , so now things flow a bit better. Are there other ways to keep Artist/Albums together?

losbot 09-09-2013 10:53 AM

Re: 2014 Uconnect Media questions

I use MP3Tag for all my mps files. It allows me to go to any site like amazon, right click and copy the album art, then paste it into the mp3s. Comes up nicely on the UConnect screen.

Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)

bill_de 09-09-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Briant73 (Post 890342)
I was playing with putting music on an SD card and have some questions/observations about the process -

What is the largest size album artwork can be? I found out 1000x1000 embedded doesn't show up on the screen just shows the generic system album picture instead.

I went with MP3 for my CD rips because MP3 is supported almost everywhere but is there a reason to use WMA over mp3? I used the latest lame encoder with Variable Bit Rate of -v 2 for most of my rips. Also does the system support just MP3 and WMA for audio files?

I built my folders like this - Artist - Albums (with songs inside the corresponding album folder). I quickly discovered Uconnect seems to care most about Album names when forward/reverse when playing a song so what I did for albums with such names as "Greatest Hits" is rename "Greatest Hits - Artist Name" , so now things flow a bit better. Are there other ways to keep Artist/Albums together?

Can't you just select, sort by artist instead of sort by album?

---

Briant73 09-09-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 890379)
Can't you just select, sort by artist instead of sort by album?

---

Does the sort by artist stick when playing a song and pressing the back/next buttons to either side of the pause button? I found when pressing those buttons while playing it just decided to go on album name for the next song but didn't mess with the sorting options so I will have to try this some time and see what are the results.

Briant73 09-09-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by losbot (Post 890371)
I use MP3Tag for all my mps files. It allows me to go to any site like amazon, right click and copy the album art, then paste it into the mp3s. Comes up nicely on the UConnect screen.

Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)

Thanks for the link, I have been using Musicbee, EAC, and WMP for my ripping and though my computer sees the album art just fine the Jeep doesn't. The issue was really baffling me until I exmained the album art size which was 1000x1000, switched to a graphic that was 600x600 which showed up fine on the Jeep. That's why I am wondering if there is a album art size limitation that anything over a certain size is not recognized.

bill_de 09-09-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Briant73 (Post 890381)
Does the sort by artist stick when playing a song and pressing the back/next buttons to either side of the pause button? I found when pressing those buttons while playing it just decided to go on album name for the next song but didn't mess with the sorting options so I will have to try this some time and see what are the results.

You probably have sort by album selected. I mostly sort by genre and select shuffle. I like surprises. :)

---

losbot 09-09-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Briant73 (Post 890384)
That's why I am wondering if there is a album art size limitation that anything over a certain size is not recognized.

Yeah, some systems are finicky like that. I've never had an issue using the MP3Tag software and it's free so that's a plus. How large are the album covers on your screen? I was wondering if they can show up larger? Mine look like 1.5" thumbnails, where on my BMW they were like 3".

bill_de 09-09-2013 12:22 PM

I never gave the album art much thought, since I usually turn the screen off. But the fact that folks are concerned about the size of the picture makes me wonder why manufacturers keep adding distractions to vehicles.

---

Briant73 09-09-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 890422)
I never gave the album art much thought, since I usually turn the screen off. But the fact that folks are concerned about the size of the picture makes me wonder why manufacturers keep adding distractions to vehicles.

---

The reason I am asking about the maximum size album artwork can be because it appears anything over a certain size causes the album artwork to not show at all. I think the album artwork displays the same size on the uconnect screen no matter what size it is unless the embedded artwork for the album cover is over a certain size then it breaks the image from showing. Just rather know the size limit and recommended size for future reference.

Born2golf 09-11-2013 05:09 PM

I've spoken to uconnect about this at this time all album art is pulled from gracenote. all embedded album art is ignored. and I find this completely choice by the manufacturer stupid.

Additionally I was told that there are no plans to provide updates to the gracenote database in the vehicle. I have seen other post gracenote update files on this site, but do not know where they come from.

bill_de 09-11-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2golf (Post 891745)
I've spoken to uconnect about this at this time all album art is pulled from gracenote. all embedded album art is ignored. and I find this completely choice by the manufacturer stupid.

Additionally I was told that there are no plans to provide updates to the gracenote database in the vehicle. I have seen other post gracenote update files on this site, but do not know where they come from.

With my Acura you had to download the updates to a PC and install them via CD.

---

jacko15 09-11-2013 07:30 PM

I transfer music from my Windows Media player to both USB and SD, and artwork I have created myself for mixes that I have ripped to Media Player shows on the 8.4AN screen. The JPEGs I use are roughly 50 kb.