Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   Daytime Running Lights Install ? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/daytime-running-lights-install-65276.html)

Deja Bleu 09-10-2013 12:07 PM

Daytime Running Lights Install ?

Does anyone know which 12 volt wire under the hood would be good to tap into for PIAA Daytime Running lights; this is for power to the relay.

This is for a 2004 GC with V-8.

Thanks...

Frango100 09-10-2013 02:48 PM

Re: Daytime Running Lights Install ?

Should those lights be on with ignition switch in run all the time?

Deja Bleu 09-10-2013 03:32 PM

Yes, it should be a switched 12 volt power source and preferably on the driver side on the engine close to where the PIAA relay is now. I only found constant 12v or no power with my test light, so they are currently hooked up to my parking lights which is alright, but I think I would like them to come on when the car is started.

Thanks...

Frango100 09-13-2013 06:36 AM

Did you solve the 12V supply?
If not, there is a 12V in run position for the ABS controller, eventhough i would not use that one. The EVAP purge solenoid is fed in start and run (the PCM will switch the ground for the solenoid to function). How much current will the daytime running lights draw?

Deja Bleu 09-19-2013 12:04 PM

Not yet, they are still attached to the parking lights, which is alright; however I would prefer them to come on when the Jeep is started. I think they have a low power draw since they are LED, but the PIAA web site did not list it.

The instructions say to use the A/C wire, but at least the one I tested was not on with just the key on. I would think there would be a switched 12 volt accesory wire somewhere under the hood that I could use, but I haven't been able to find one and like you say, there are certain circuits I would not want to attach to anyway.

Thanks again.

Frango100 09-19-2013 12:18 PM

The AC compressor clutch solenoid will only be powered when the AC is switched on, but the AC compressor clutch relay in the PDC has power when in start and run. Its pin 86 from the AC clutch relay, you could run a wire from there, or use the purge solenoid supply wire (Darkblue/White) which ends on pin 1 on the purge solenoid connector. Both have a 10 A fuse in the circuit.
The purge solenoid sits already on the drivers side fender wall, so seems to be the perfect one to use.

Deja Bleu 09-19-2013 04:25 PM

Thanks for the information, could you tell me specifically where the Dark Blue/White wire is on the Drivers side of the engine. I see the wires coming through the dash, some go to a plug by the engine and some run straight along the fender towards the headlight. They are mostly covered in tape or wire loom plastic, so it's a little hard to tell.

Frango100 09-19-2013 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Dark blue/white wire is the one which goes to the EVAP/Purge solenoid, which is mounted on the drivers side fender wall. When you remove the connector from the EVAP/Purge solenoid, its the wire connected to pin #1.
See attached the EVAP/Purge solenoid.

Deja Bleu 09-20-2013 09:32 AM

Thanks for the information, the picture should be quite helpful for locating that wire; hopefully they come on when I turn the key.