Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   New tire choice help - LE2 v. LTX M/s2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/new-tire-choice-help-le2-v-ltx-m-s2-65286.html)

Slim7777 09-10-2013 04:01 PM

New tire choice help - LE2 v. LTX M/s2

Greetings - First Post.

I've worn out my OEM Michelin Lattitudes on the 2011 Grand Cherokee x-package (about 38k miles) and need to replace them before winter (265/60/18). The original tires handled fine on the road for me, except in slush and snow (pretty dissapointed). I don't do much off roading at all (just light trails and carraige roads).

I've pretty much narrowed it down to 2 choices - the Michelin LTX M/S2 (rated much better on CR) vs. Firestone Destination LE2 (rated slightly better on TRack but with less milage behind the review). Any advice? The Michelin's are about 70$ more a tire and that's something to consider.

Thanks in advance.

jacko15 09-10-2013 10:08 PM

Re: New tire choice help - LE2 v. LTX M/s2

Without going into a lot of particulars, I replaced the factory Latitudes with the LTX M/S2 tires two days after delivery. Manly because of the snowy region I live in. I'm totally happy with them so far. Lots of interstate, city, and some off-roading. I'll find out if they're as good as reported in the snow before too long. That's what I'd get if I were you, but that's just me. :D

Ratchet 09-11-2013 06:35 AM

LTX MS2 hands down. It's in an entirely different class of tire vs the Firestones. Also, depending on your area, Michelin is offering a $70 rebate on a set of tires. Sort of a slap in the face when you drop the cash for a set of tires, but something is better than nothing.

Slim7777 09-11-2013 07:23 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys. Still weighing whether the Michelin's are 10-25% better to justify the cost difference.
-amb

BlkBetty 09-11-2013 01:39 PM

I've had the LE2s on mine for the past couple of hundred miles. So far so good. I was looking at getting the same tires and ended up choosing the Firestone tires mainly because of reviews on tire rack and because they were considerably cheaper. The LE2 was consistently ranked the highest in all categories compared to other tires. I have michelins on my wife A4 and on my old A3 but I wasn't overlying impressed with the added price for the life of the tires or for the noise.

AAAA 09-11-2013 09:04 PM

As you can see, I have the LTX M/S 2's. They are a slightly more aggressive street tire than the Latitudes. Quiet and good on mild off-roading. Use in snow has been very good. Ice... not so good, but they are not snowflake/mountain stamped. They are a higher mileage rated (read harder rubber) than snowflake/mountain symbol tires. I would buy again, but may consider Nokian WR G2 SUV and GY Silent Armor too next time as they have the snowflake/mountain symbol.

xJoshxx 09-11-2013 10:46 PM

Had le2's on my Laredo with my Viper reps Amazing worked well even in snow.

they were perfect in rain

Slim7777 09-12-2013 08:15 AM

Thanks, gents. Still on fence trying to decide if the Michelins are worth the extra cash. Don't know if the Firestone LE2's being stock on the new 2014 Cherokees weighs in favor or against getting them.

jacko15 09-12-2013 10:10 AM

Knowing how vehicle manufacturers decide on tires, I'd hold that against the LE2's. But that's just me. ;)

kkreit01 09-12-2013 01:03 PM

The M/S2 is probably the better tire, but I agree, $280 is quite a bit more to swallow. If they last a lot longer, that will pay for itself. I would pick the Destination A/T over both. There are an excellent tire, not too harsh or noisy.

kjbean07 11-09-2013 11:05 AM

Not sure if you got your tires yet, but Michelin is offering a $70 rebate right now, so it brings the difference down to around $180-190.

If you got them, what did you go with and how do you like it?

I've been debating between the two, and will probably go with the Michelins at the end of the month. I'm replacing the Latitudes with just under 30k on them... hoping my next tires last a little longer! I believe I rotated every oil change (at around 9,000 miles), but will plan on rotating the new ones more often - the Latitudes did not wear very evenly.

Slim7777 11-09-2013 12:58 PM

I went with the Michelin LTX MS2's after calling in a warranty claim on the latitudes. Michelin gave me 20 to 40 bucks per tire in prorated credit. Still waiting to see if they will also give me the $70 promo on top of that. Either way it took the LE2's out of the question and all for just a phone call and visit to auth dealer which includes discount chains like mavis.

So far I am very pleased with the MS2's. handled well in heavy rain, they are similar but a little stiffer than the latitudes. Really need to get some snow to make final assessment.