Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Towing package (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/towing-package-65375.html)

camaross82 09-12-2013 02:02 PM

Towing package

Has anyone added a trailer hitch and wiring harness to a 2014 Grand cherokee? Is it just a plug and play set-up, or is there splicing involved?

Also is there a tow/haul mode for the trans?

mswlogo 09-15-2013 04:29 PM

Re: Towing package

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaross82 (Post 892277)
Has anyone added a trailer hitch and wiring harness to a 2014 Grand cherokee? Is it just a plug and play set-up, or is there splicing involved?

Also is there a tow/haul mode for the trans?

I was almost going to do this on a limited on the lot and had it priced out. Dealer wanted $795 and you would not get the cooler and alternator etc.

No splicing as far as I know, but they will add the wiring socket harness. It should look like factory when done.

As far as I know there is no Tow/Haul mode on Select Track II with a V6.

I think there is Tow/haul mode with the Air Lift option.

camaross82 09-15-2013 04:49 PM

Yeah 800 seems alot for a trailor hitch and a harness. I wanted the towing package nut the one we got didnt have it. And honestly the most towing Id do with it would be a light utility trailer, and dont need a cooler for that.

GCLimited 09-23-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaross82 (Post 893865)

Yeah 800 seems alot for a trailor hitch and a harness.

The Grand Cherokee's tow pkg IV that I got on my 2014 V6 Limited 4x4 involved more than just the hitch and harness. It also included a non-matching full size steel spare wheel and tire, Heavy duty alternator, Heavy duty engine cooling system, and Automatic rear suspension levelling.

camaross82 09-23-2013 11:03 AM

Other than the full size spare, the rest of that I dont feel is necessary for the little towing I might do with the jeep. I'll use my truck for heavy pulling.

padgett 09-25-2013 12:10 PM

There are two ways to install a hitch. The factory uses an eight bolt mount, the arms go into the "frame rails" and a different or cutout fascia is used. This puts the center of the receiver 20" off the ground and can take being rearended by a F*rd 150 truck at speed. Folded the truck front end into a V and the F*rd deployed both airbags. Pushed the GC about 11 feet with the brakes locked. Tailgate still worked properly.

OTOH most aftermarket hitches that I've seen use less bolts and cantilever the receiver under the fascia so would put a twisting moment on the "frame" if struck.

Its your choice.

ps may still need to visit the dealer for a computer flash to make the harness stub active. Maybe not, I have the factory package so can't be certain.

David_Hart 09-25-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 899246)
There are two ways to install a hitch. The factory uses an eight bolt mount, the arms go into the "frame rails" and a different or cutout fascia is used. This puts the center of the receiver 20" off the ground and can take being rearended by a F*rd 150 truck at speed. Folded the truck front end into a V and the F*rd deployed both airbags. Pushed the GC about 11 feet with the brakes locked. Tailgate still worked properly.

Wow.. I hope no one was badly injured.

I had someone bump me in stop-and-go traffic with no damage to the Jeep or my hitch, except a tiny scratch in the fascia. The other car ended up with a hole in the bumper.

So the hitch isn't just for towing, it's also a safety feature...

mswlogo 10-03-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCLimited (Post 898071)
The Grand Cherokee's tow pkg IV that I got on my 2014 V6 Limited 4x4 involved more than just the hitch and harness. It also included a non-matching full size steel spare wheel and tire, Heavy duty alternator, Heavy duty engine cooling system, and Automatic rear suspension levelling.

I think he's saying 800 just for the non factory install is high. I agree and why I went with a factory hitch (a bargain even if only ever doing light duty towing). You also supposedly get larger brakes with the factory tow (unless you already have them due to other options, like Hemi).