Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Tires... Destination AT vs LTX MS2 vs LTX AT2? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/tires-destination-at-vs-ltx-ms2-vs-ltx-at2-65390.html)

r0tor 09-12-2013 06:43 PM

Tires... Destination AT vs LTX MS2 vs LTX AT2?

I was planning on trying to get another year out of the stock Latitudes but a 1" bolt through my right rear tire ended that option today... so I need to quickly do some tire shopping.

Did some research and came up with these 3 options. I originally was going to go with the Firestones based on price, but Michelin has enough of a discount right now that it makes it a wash.

So I use my Jeep primarily for rainy and snowy days (my RX8 gets a workout on nice days), going on long trips, and I love driving around in the deep sand at OBX while on vacation. Every once in a while I will head up a muddy trail. I also tend to corner a bit on the aggressive side. So far I managed to get by with the Latitudes but did struggle pretty badly on the snow and sand - definately want to improve on this.

I'm trying to figure out if the LTX MS2 will be sufficient or if I should go with an AT tire. :confused:

jacko15 09-12-2013 09:14 PM

Re: Tires... Destination AT vs LTX MS2 vs LTX AT2?

I went with the LTX M/S2, but I don't go out in the deep sand. I am confident they'll be good in the 10' or more of snow we get every winter.

kkreit01 09-17-2013 10:49 AM

The M/S2 are good, but I don't think they will go through 10' of snow. If they are the same price, they should be fine for your use. I would normally recommend A/Ts (Destination are great for the money), but the will probably wear much quicker under aggressive cornering.

jacko15 09-17-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkreit01 (Post 894947)
The M/S2 are good, but I don't think they will go through 10' of snow. If they are the same price, they should be fine for your use. I would normally recommend A/Ts (Destination are great for the money), but the will probably wear much quicker under aggressive cornering.

What I actually said was "10' or more of snow we get every winter", I didn't say anything about driving through 10' of snow. Our average total snowfall over the course of the entire winter is around 10'. I do often drive through a foot or more of snow, which isn't unusual for a single storm, and I'm confident the M/S2s will get me through that. The A/T is a great off-road and year around tire, and I'm sure very good in the snow, but I think I'll get better wear and smoother and quieter ride out of the M/S2s on dry pavement, which is what I drive on most of the time.

1st jeep 09-17-2013 02:42 PM

I had the LTX MS2s on 20'', it was an awesome tire for highway and snow.

lstowell 09-17-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r0tor (Post 892430)
I was planning on trying to get another year out of the stock Latitudes but a 1" bolt through my right rear tire ended that option today... so I need to quickly do some tire shopping.

Did some research and came up with these 3 options. I originally was going to go with the Firestones based on price, but Michelin has enough of a discount right now that it makes it a wash.

So I use my Jeep primarily for rainy and snowy days (my RX8 gets a workout on nice days), going on long trips, and I love driving around in the deep sand at OBX while on vacation. Every once in a while I will head up a muddy trail. I also tend to corner a bit on the aggressive side. So far I managed to get by with the Latitudes but did struggle pretty badly on the snow and sand - definately want to improve on this.

I'm trying to figure out if the LTX MS2 will be sufficient or if I should go with an AT tire. :confused:

I've run both the MS2 and the AT2...

There is a small possibility that you could get just a small amount of better off road traction with the AT2...

However, what you will get with the AT2 is more noise, a bit more squirm, notably less tread life, and notably less traction on water, slush, etc.

The MS2 is not rated as a severe winter tire, but it has better cold water, snow, slush traction than many that are. I ran them up over Donner Pass many many times on an older ZJ.

Other than the Conti DWS it is going to be hard, if not impossible, to find a better tire for all around use than the Michelin MS2.

lstowell 09-17-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkreit01 (Post 894947)

The MS2 will go thru 10 inches of snow easily, presuming the driver can.

A Cooper Weathermaster WSC would be good but a bit hard core for non-winter.

Todd3.6 10-10-2013 12:07 PM

Have you considered the Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure (new tire)?

Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure Tires | Goodyear Tires