Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   07 WK Ltd - backup sensors not working properly (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/07-wk-ltd-backup-sensors-not-working-properly-65391.html)

wkcrd 09-12-2013 06:45 PM

07 WK Ltd - backup sensors not working properly

So I just got my WK back after spending 2 months in a body shop after getting hit from behind by a 21 year old texting driver.

My backup sensors are not working correctly. Starts off ok, with green leds, 2 reds on each side as the beeping increases, then bam solid beep, not all red leds are on, oh, and I hit the object. I'm going slow, and the way it used to work is that all leds step in one-by-one, beeping rate increases as more leds light up and once all lit, solid beep tone, I'd be a few inches from the object.

Some questions:
  • Are the sensors hooked up in the wrong sequence?
  • Are all 4 sensors supposed to be the same or do the outer ones have a wider angle?
  • Does anyone know what the part number(s) for these are?
  • Is there a wiring diagram for these somewhere?

Any help/experience with these would be greatly appreciated.

Ralf

dr.lee.baugh 09-13-2013 05:27 PM

Re: 07 WK Ltd - backup sensors not working properly

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkcrd (Post 892431)
So I just got my WK back after spending 2 months in a body shop after getting hit from behind by a 21 year old texting driver.

My backup sensors are not working correctly. Starts off ok, with green leds, 2 reds on each side as the beeping increases, then bam solid beep, not all red leds are on, oh, and I hit the object. I'm going slow, and the way it used to work is that all leds step in one-by-one, beeping rate increases as more leds light up and once all lit, solid beep tone, I'd be a few inches from the object.

Some questions:
  • Are the sensors hooked up in the wrong sequence?
  • Are all 4 sensors supposed to be the same or do the outer ones have a wider angle?
  • Does anyone know what the part number(s) for these are?
  • Is there a wiring diagram for these somewhere?

Any help/experience with these would be greatly appreciated.

Ralf

First, why not just take it back to the repair shop that fixed the damage from the accident?

All the sensors are the same (Part #05137536AA, or later revision). I don't think there is a sequence for the sensors. They all report back how close an object is - an object behind just one sensor should have the same behavior as an object behind all sensors (for the most part). It will turn off if you were going greater that 11.2 miles an hour.

Do all of the lights activate when you first start the car?

What is this object that you hit?

If it is a strange shape/height/location relative to the sensors it may not have picked it up until it was right behind the car. According to the FSM: The sensors detection length from the rear of the vehicle is 0.3 meters to 1.5 meters. This area extends around the rear side of the vehicle. The sensor detection height from the ground is 0.2 meters to about 1.5 meters. Ensure that the rear bumper (sensors) is free of dirt and debris to keep the system operating properly. Jackhammers, large trucks, and other vibrations could affect the performance of the system. Ensure that the parking brake is not applied.

wkcrd 09-14-2013 06:56 AM

Yes, it's been back once and will be going back again this week. Thanks for the feedback. It was hit on the passenger side at the rear by another vehicle ('95 Ranger), so it has a new rear quarter panel, lift gate, bumper, exhaust.

One thing I have noticed, researching this issue, is that some sensors are not quite flush with the chrome bumper strip they are in. Also the sensors were moved from my original bumper facia to this replacement and although they seem to work individually, something's not quite right obviously. Before too much time is wasted on this, I may just insist on new sensors.