Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   So I'm in Europe on vacation and I test drove the 2014 Ecodiesel Overland (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/so-im-in-europe-on-vacation-and-i-test-drove-the-2014-ecodiesel-overland-65420.html)

Vanguard 09-13-2013 08:46 AM

So I'm in Europe on vacation and I test drove the 2014 Ecodiesel Overland

It feels punchy and quick off the line, but after about 30 MPH, its not so fast.

The dealer told me that 0-100 KM (roughly 60 MPH) is 8.2 seconds. It is also rated at 250 HP instead of our 240.

The 3.6 liter pentastar is an OPTION here that costs more lol and is 7.5 according to the brochure.

They didnt have any in stock because no one is crazy enough to buy a gas SUV here where gas is almost $9 a gallon when the diesel gets 30% better economy.

By the way, the overland is 57K Euros base...jesus christ. More expensive than an X5. Jeep is seen as a major luxury brand according to the dealer and people I spoke with.

Basically...if a Jeep pulls up to an X5, the Jeep is the flossier one.

Who would have thought huh?

Vanguard 09-13-2013 08:47 AM

Re: So I'm in Europe on vacation and I test drove the 2014 Ecodiesel Overland

They did have 2 SRT's in stock however.

Starting at 83,000 euros!

Chunderboy 09-13-2013 11:03 AM

This maybe a silly question/statement, but would the export tax also be an issue when purchasing a jeep over there?

JustinB60 09-13-2013 06:26 PM

Yea I have a "sister" in Germany (she was a foreign exchange student that lived with my family when I was younger) and she told me BMW is like the Chevrolet of Europe. BMW's and other European models are dime a dozen and nothing special. She said some of the American made cars are much more highly viewed by some.

padgett 09-13-2013 07:23 PM

Sorry but to me a Mercedes is a good taxicab and Car & Driver voted a BMW the "Best Sports Sedan under $2,000".

It is all a matter of perspective.

Krisw123 09-13-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinB60 (Post 892970)
Yea I have a "sister" in Germany (she was a foreign exchange student that lived with my family when I was younger) and she told me BMW is like the Chevrolet of Europe. BMW's and other European models are dime a dozen and nothing special. She said some of the American made cars are much more highly viewed by some.

Hmmm! Not sure about that. Certainly not the case in UK. BMW, MB and Audi are prestige cars, very desirable and certainly not "a dime a dozen". American made cars are not very popular or highly viewed I am afraid. Apart from JGC of course!

I live in Denver now and love my 2011 Ltd JGC. I have owned all of the above makes of European cars at some time and loved them all. The JGC compares very favourably in most respects and I would not swap it for anything else.

Horses for courses I guess.

lilv2128 09-15-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanguard (Post 892688)
It feels punchy and quick off the line, but after about 30 MPH, its not so fast.

The dealer told me that 0-100 KM (roughly 60 MPH) is 8.2 seconds. It is also rated at 250 HP instead of our 240.

The 3.6 liter pentastar is an OPTION here that costs more lol and is 7.5 according to the brochure.

They didnt have any in stock because no one is crazy enough to buy a gas SUV here where gas is almost $9 a gallon when the diesel gets 30% better economy.

By the way, the overland is 57K Euros base...jesus christ. More expensive than an X5. Jeep is seen as a major luxury brand according to the dealer and people I spoke with.

Basically...if a Jeep pulls up to an X5, the Jeep is the flossier one.

Who would have thought huh?

Thank You for an honest review of the Diesel, especially with all of the hype of surrounding the performance of the diesel vs the Hemi.

johnnyiowa 09-15-2013 07:36 AM

it's not very particle to drive a big car in Europe, just find a place to park already a problem.

*sox* 09-15-2013 08:17 AM

Yes guys in europe the cars are not cheap, the jeep SRT here in switzerland are sale about 98`000.- Sfr. / 105`184 usd.

Vanguard 09-15-2013 10:01 AM

Im sure an export tax plays a roll as well as sales tax being double or triple what is it in america.

Americans complain about taxes, however Europeans deal with much higher taxes for everything...sales, income, home.

We complain gas is $4 a gallon...they are happy if gas is close to $8 a gallon lol.

Really puts things into perspective.

2mad2bad 09-15-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

European brands are still very desirable in Europe, but they are very popular and you do see them everywhere, and I agree that they are a dime a dozen especially in Germany.. In the UK though it's a similar story, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, VW, Skoda, etc etc.. are immensely popular.

American cars in Europe have always had a bad reputation, being unreliable, unsafe and of poor quality. Things have changed a lot since then and European have put a little faith back into American brands.. In 2012 Jeep sales were up in Europe by by 117% compared to the previous year.

It's a combination of better quality products, and people want something a bit different to your normal overly popular brands from Europe.

I also agree with the first post Jeep is on the map when it come to upmarket vehiclse, and in Europe it's reputation is only getting better!!

GCOverland 09-15-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

That might be true if you park a Corvette next to a regular 3-Series, but in general, BMW and Mercedes (and to some degree, Audi) are the most desired brands in Germany.

We also have to keep in mind that there are huge differences among the brands itself. In the US, you will see far more "high end" models of BMW, Audi and Mercedes than you will find in Germany. They offer engines and models much smaller than in the US.

Example: A BMW X5 is a status symbol in Europe and only reflects a very small fraction of BMWs sold. In the US, the X5 is far more common.