Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   2014 Safety Recall - anybody else? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/2014-safety-recall-anybody-else-65437.html)

jer630 09-13-2013 05:11 PM

2014 Safety Recall - anybody else?

So, in the mail today I got a recall notice for my 2014. After all the "Christmas tree" and ABS module headache we went through over the past few weeks, I was laughing because I thought they finally figured it out and recalled due to that.

Nope, something else entirely. The parking lights don't meet Federal standards apparently. Wonderful.

Sigh. We've taken more trips to the dealer more in 5 months with the Jeep than 4 years with my other car. Good thing they're close :rolleyes:

not_too_shabby 09-13-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jer630 (Post 892933)
So, in the mail today I got a recall notice for my 2014. After all the "Christmas tree" and ABS module headache we went through over the past few weeks, I was laughing because I thought they finally figured it out and recalled due to that. Nope, something else entirely. The parking lights don't meet Federal standards apparently. Wonderful. Sigh. We've taken more trips to the dealer more in 5 months with the Jeep than 4 years with my other car. Good thing they're close :rolleyes:

I wonder what the fix involves? I hope it doesn't mean a cosmetic change? I don't think ill rush off to the dealer for this one. Who uses parking lights anyways?

BobsWK2 09-13-2013 06:01 PM

Re: 2014 Safety Recall - anybody else?

Quote:

Originally Posted by not_too_shabby (Post 892943)
I wonder what the fix involves? I hope it doesn't mean a cosmetic change? I don't think ill rush off to the dealer for this one. Who uses parking lights anyways?

It's a software update. No parts required.

jer630 09-13-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWK2 (Post 892954)
It's a software update. No parts required.

Yes, says update to the Body Control Module (BCM).

tllapointe 09-15-2013 07:58 AM

I just got the same notice yesterday. I was already scheduled into the shop for 3-4 software updates next week.

They hope these fix a problem where the car would not start last week and a problem where my outside temperature can be off 10-15 degrees at times.

Tom

dcar335i 09-15-2013 08:14 AM

I received the notice as well. I noticed just last night that the passenger side "LED surround" turned off when I put the parking lights on, drivers side and flood lights remained on. I tried to get it to do the same thing at home later and everything appeared to be working fine. Not sure of the set of conditions to make it happen... Will be taking it in...

bill_de 09-15-2013 08:24 AM

It isn't that the parking lights don't meet standards. The problem is that when switching from DRLs to parking lights, the parking lights may not come on. It has been discussed here previously.

What I thought was interesting is that a couple of days before getting the letter, I got a card from Chrysler/Jeep good for a complimentary oil change.

Since the recall work should only take 1/2 hour, getting it with the oil change is no big deal.

It's not something I will rush to the dealer about. If somebody doesn't see my car with my headlights and tail lights on, they weren't going to see it because my parking lights were on.

---

ChrisUCF99 09-16-2013 06:30 PM

Got the same notice. This is it specifically:

Report Receipt Date: JUL 02, 2013
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V289000
Component(s): EXTERIOR LIGHTING
Potential Number of Units Affected: 4,458

SUMMARY:

Chrysler is recalling certain model year 2014, non-SRT trimmed, Grand Cherokee vehicles manufactured January 14, 2013, through March 20, 2013 equipped with premium headlamps. In the affected vehicles, when switching between daytime running lights and parking lights, electrical spikes may cause the parking lamps to turn off. Without properly functioning parking lamps these vehicles fail to conform to the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 108, "Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment." CONSEQUENCE:

Without parking lamps, the vehicle may not be as visible to other vehicles, increasing the risk of a crash. REMEDY:

Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will update the Central Body Controller software, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in August 2013. Owners may contact Chrysler at 1-800-247-9753. Chrysler's recall campaign number is N42.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...9&refurl=email

jer630 09-16-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisUCF99 (Post 894561)
Got the same notice. This is it specifically:

Hmm, mine says something slightly different. It doesn't say anything about problems when switching from DRL's to parking lamps. It says "the park lamps may not provide the design intent illumination." Much of the rest is similar though. Guess it's a matter of semantics.

Baalic 09-16-2013 08:35 PM

got my notice today :p will take it in i guess

Srt8_hmi 09-16-2013 09:27 PM

Sigh..had this taken care of last Monday! Lol
Too bad the temp is still way off when I get in after it has been sitting for a long period of time.

jp467 09-17-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Srt8_hmi (Post 894708)
Sigh..had this taken care of last Monday! Lol
Too bad the temp is still way off when I get in after it has been sitting for a long period of time.

The outside temperature reading is not accurate until the engine is up to normal operating temperature. This has been true for any vehicle I have owned with outside temp reading. I also got this recall notice and it has nothing to do with the outside temperature anyways.