Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   CRUISE CONTROL Hard to turn on (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/cruise-control-hard-to-turn-on-65466.html)

sofaspudKTM 09-14-2013 03:04 PM

CRUISE CONTROL Hard to turn on

Anyone know of an issue with the steering wheel cruise control button?
Takes several clicks to get cruise control on to then set. No problems with the other buttons, or turning cruise OFF with the button (of course LOL)

tomstromie 09-15-2013 10:39 AM

Re: CRUISE CONTROL Hard to turn on

I've noticed the same thing on my 2012. It works best to click at the top of the button where the ridge is. That will reliably turn the cruise on every time.

dr.lee.baugh 09-15-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sofaspudKTM (Post 893348)
Anyone know of an issue with the steering wheel cruise control button?
Takes several clicks to get cruise control on to then set. No problems with the other buttons, or turning cruise OFF with the button (of course LOL)

The buttons can break. Shouldn't be a difficult or expensive job to swap them out.

sofaspudKTM 09-16-2013 07:25 AM

Yeah I found the lower edge I think then that kind of went bad. I hate that kind of electrical issue. Hope it doesn't take too long to fix-and never happens again!

tomstromie 10-07-2013 11:57 AM

I had another thread where my radio had no volume a couple of times and the dealer wanted me to come in for a software update.

Well, they did the software update and not only has my radio continued to work, it also apparently fixed the cruise button issue. Previously I would press the cruise button a dozen or more time with no effect and then it would suddenly work fine for a while.

Since the software update my cruise on/off button has worked flawlessly every time. I have no idea as to what was contained in the software update as I received no paperwork from dealer. I was only there for about 15 minutes.

sofaspudKTM 10-10-2013 07:47 AM

yep mine too-works ok for awhile then takes several times to work-will check on the update. Any idea of the update number?

Now my sunroof only closes half way when I close it-have to hold in the button to get it to close all the way.

Took 4 times for dealer to "get it" that the lights needed a TSB to stay on auto.

Thanks!

dr.lee.baugh 10-10-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sofaspudKTM (Post 907703)
yep mine too-works ok for awhile then takes several times to work-will check on the update. Any idea of the update number?

Now my sunroof only closes half way when I close it-have to hold in the button to get it to close all the way.

Took 4 times for dealer to "get it" that the lights needed a TSB to stay on auto.

Thanks!

Unless you have a WK2, the update is not going to apply to your vehicle.

Your problem is going to be (in my uneducated order of likeliness):

1) The buttons themselves
2) The clockspring
3) Some random ground in your wiring
4) Some fault in the PCM

Start with the simple cheap solution and replace your buttons.

The sunroof either has to be recalibrated (search the site, many have posted how to do this), or the safety is engaging. Check the track for any dirt or debris that would be adding resistance to the closing motion and take it from there.