Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   2014 Summit Unlocks Itself (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/2014-summit-unlocks-itself-65510.html)

BobsWK2 09-15-2013 05:38 PM

2014 Summit Unlocks Itself

I've noticed 3 times in the past month that my Summit unlocks itself.

The first 2 times it occurred at least a week apart, it would unlock itself after I already exited the vehicle, locked the vehicle using the power lock switch on the drivers door and as I walked away, I heard the doors unlock. Turned around and looked and sure enough, all doors were unlocked.

Yesterday, while the vehicle was locked in a parking lot for at least 30 minutes, as I approached it, I heard the vehicle unlock the doors and as I looked in, I could again see all the doors were unlocked.

Note all times that this happened, the keyfob was in my pocket and there wasn't anything in that pocket that could have accidentally pressed the keyfob unlock button.

Not a very confidence inspiring feeling wondering if the vehicle stays locked while I'm away from it.

Seems like Chrysler installs all this technology (Uconnect, new electrical architecture) before they do any real R&D on it. I think they figure put it out there and see what happens.

JeepersCreepers 09-15-2013 05:58 PM

Re: 2014 Summit Unlocks Itself

Sorry to hear that. I wouldn't be surprised if the keyfob is messed up. The only time mine unlocks itself when I don't purposely do it is when I'm hosing down the vehicle and I guess the running water trips the sensors on the door handle.

That's another possibility: maybe the sensors in one of the handles is bad, constantly detecting a hand where there isn't one, and once you get in range it finally unlocks.

noahchanin 09-16-2013 08:11 AM

I had a problem w my 2011 overland starting itself. They replaced every key fob, the receiver module, and just about every other related part. Never solved it and I ended up working out a deal with Chrysler to buy back the car. They insisted they never had any similar problems but I'm interested to hear what happens with yours.

Agree with @jeepers about the handles. Have noticed what he's describing when washing car and makes sense that it would happen with fob in range. I'd put my money on his diagnosis.

azzolij 09-16-2013 11:40 AM

Mine does it also. It just hasn't been something that occurs consistently. I've been using the outside button instead, but recently that's also acting strange. I have to push it more than once. True to form it doesn't do it all the time. Given the problems other people have I'm happy with mine even with its quirky behavior.

BobsWK2 09-16-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azzolij (Post 894311)
Mine does it also. It just hasn't been something that occurs consistently. I've been using the outside button instead, but recently that's also acting strange. I have to push it more than once. True to form it doesn't do it all the time. Given the problems other people have I'm happy with mine even with its quirky behavior.

That's the problem with mine. No rhyme or reason when it might do it. I'm sure Chrysler won't have a clue.

tomk 09-16-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWK2 (Post 893876)
The first 2 times it occurred at least a week apart, it would unlock itself after I already exited the vehicle, locked the vehicle using the power lock switch on the drivers door and as I walked away, I heard the doors unlock. Turned around and looked and sure enough, all doors were unlocked.

What button are you using to lock it? the button on the outside or the button on the inside?

...tom

BobsWK2 09-16-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomk (Post 894521)
What button are you using to lock it? the button on the outside or the button on the inside?

...tom

Inside, just like I've always done on my previous 2012 Overland and this one.

tomk 09-16-2013 05:48 PM

hm, never used the inside button to lock up, on my '07 or my '14.. I'll have to try that..

...tom

BobsWK2 09-16-2013 06:10 PM

I've used that method on all my vehicles since about 1981.

BobsWK2 09-18-2013 07:12 PM

It unlocked itself again today after I was about 6 feet away. But then the rest of the day, it remained locked. Or at least it SEEMED like it did.

AJB-830 09-18-2013 07:49 PM

I usually lock my 14 GC with the inside lock button and then close the door. But I found that sometimes when I close the drivers door, it would unlock. But if I stand a foot or two away, the doors stay locked. It must think the fob is still in the car if you stand too close. But now that I have been standing further away, it has never unlocked the doors. Al

BobsWK2 09-19-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJB-830 (Post 895918)
I usually lock my 14 GC with the inside lock button and then close the door. But I found that sometimes when I close the drivers door, it would unlock. But if I stand a foot or two away, the doors stay locked. It must think the fob is still in the car if you stand too close. But now that I have been standing further away, it has never unlocked the doors. Al

Thanks for the advice. The problem is it never did it for the first 4 months that I've had it. Now all of a sudden, its getting fussy.

I'll just add it to the list along with the other gremlins that this vehicle has. :o