Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   help (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/help-65517.html)

chriscampbell3325 09-15-2013 08:37 PM

help

A few months ago Igot a comp cam installed and my car started fine and than after a few days it starts up very hard or it doesn't start at all and I have to keep giving it gas for it to start and im trying to figure out wat the problem is do I have to upgrade something else. thanks.

jeepgcoman 09-15-2013 08:51 PM

Re: help

Chris, we need more details.....what year/model, which engine, how many miles in it, which Comp. cam was installed, who installed it (did they know what they were doing?), was the valvetrain changed, were the heads removed, was the timing set changed, any valve noises, exact symptoms (backfiring, rich running, etc.), can you get it to idle/rev, were the spark plugs changed, anything leading up to this (or just overnight), what other mods have been done, any other engine work done recently, etc? Initial thoughts though (if it ran fine after the install for a while) are cam or crank sensor are on the way out, especially if you're at 75K+ mileage.

chriscampbell3325 09-15-2013 09:06 PM

its th 05 5.7 hemi with the afe stage 2 intake, magnaflow exhaust, diablo I-1000 and comp cam don't know wat size but I can find out. their is no check engine light on and sometimes the oil light turns once in the blue moon and than I turn it off and the light isn't on anymore. even the mechanics were trying to figure it out as well. I only have 41,000 miles on it and harrel automotive installed it and im still learning about the performance stuff and it doesn't seem like im getting the power I want since they told me it has different levels like low, medium and high and they set it in the medium.

jeepgcoman 09-15-2013 09:16 PM

Yes, I saw in your garage that it was a 05 5.7. It would still help to know the answers to the other questions. Reason being, maybe something that was done has come "undone". In addition, do you still have the MDS working and stock exhaust logs? With the new cam, was the idle "lumpy" or "smooth"?

chriscampbell3325 09-15-2013 09:22 PM

The idle is smooth and the engine sounds better than it did when I bought it stock cause u could hear the pistons and when they took the engine down to the block ad pistons when they installed the cam and put it back together again it sounds more quiet in the car and u can hear the magnaflow when I get on it. the mechanic cleaned the starter and checked everything cant find the problem and they test drove it before they gave it back to me and they had the jeep for almost 3 months waiting on parts since the vendor gave them a cam that was to big and hitting valves. no it doest have the mds for that year I heard.

chriscampbell3325 09-15-2013 09:27 PM

Plus they removed the stock gaskets and put performance gaskets on the motor

chriscampbell3325 09-15-2013 09:30 PM

They didn't change the spartks plugs cause they said they r still good and I don't know about the sensors cause im still learning about this motor as I go.

jeepgcoman 09-15-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriscampbell3325 (Post 893997)
it doesn't seem like im getting the power I want since they told me it has different levels like low, medium and high and they set it in the medium.

What does this mean? If they're talking about different cam grinds, then I get it, but with an otherwise stock 5.7 will not benefit by installing too much cam, or installing a cam without first improving the airflow through the engine as much as possible. You'll further be hampered in power development by using the stock exhaust logs. They are, by far, the biggest airflow restriction in the entire engine. When I did my cam, it was one of the last things I did, after I had custom headers/exhaust system built and other mods to improve the volumetric efficiency of the engine. Further, if they didn't put a better valve train on it, you're power production will be limited even more. Most aftermarket cams are made for higher RPM performance, and as such, suffer in the lower RPM range that we normally run our vehicles at most of the time. As an example, mine is probably not quite as good as stock at low RPM (below 3000 RPM), but above ~3000 RPM, it's like another engine has been turned on. Very big difference.

Since yours is an 05, I'd check the ignition wires, which should be no more than about 10000 ohms per foot......a typical 3 ft. wire, like on the 05's, should normally be in the range of about 15000-20000 ohms, or less....well under the 10K per foot. I'd probably also change the crank and cam sensors, just for giggles. For both they cost a total of around $50-60. The cam sensor change is a 5 minute job and the crank sensor is maybe a half hour at most. These things would eliminate 3 potential problem areas, as described by your symptoms. Also, you said there were no codes at all showing??? Tough to troubleshoot without seeing/hearing it run/try to run and doing some of the basic checks.

Good luck and keep on learning.

chriscampbell3325 09-15-2013 10:18 PM

Ok I'll try that

chriscampbell3325 09-18-2013 04:52 PM

My mechanic found out it was a vacuum leak and they retuned my engine with my Diablo I-1000 and its running way better and it was burning way more gas than it was suppose to and now it sounds great