Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Door Seals on 2014 JGC (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/door-seals-on-2014-jgc-65528.html)

PJL1969 09-16-2013 09:46 AM

Door Seals on 2014 JGC

I brought my brand new 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee into the dealer complianing about a wind noise coming from the drivers side door at speed in excess of 55 mph. They said they looked at it and adjusted the door seals but it's not fixed to my satisfaction. So I have two questions please.

First, have others been experencing this wind noise when driving a highway speeds or am I simply imagining it and being picky ? Second, the door seal themseveles, are they secured to the door frame itself with some type of adhesive or does pressure somehow keep them in place ? My door seals are not hanging or anything like that but they can be easily be pulled away from the door frame with very little effort, is this normal or is it missing some adhesive.

Thank You.

pfp_az 09-16-2013 11:15 AM

Re: Door Seals on 2014 JGC

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJL1969 (Post 894249)
I brought my brand new 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee into the dealer complianing about a wind noise coming from the drivers side door at speed in excess of 55 mph. They said they looked at it and adjusted the door seals but it's not fixed to my satisfaction. So I have two questions please.

First, have others been experencing this wind noise when driving a highway speeds or am I simply imagining it and being picky ? Second, the door seal themseveles, are they secured to the door frame itself with some type of adhesive or does pressure somehow keep them in place ? My door seals are not hanging or anything like that but they can be easily be pulled away from the door frame with very little effort, is this normal or is it missing some adhesive.

Thank You.

I've just begun wondering about this myself. At highway speeds I've been noticing wind noise coming from the drivers door and have been trying to figure out if it's just my imagination, normal, or something that needs to be looked into.

bill_de 09-16-2013 11:33 AM

My Jeep is one of the quietist vehicles I've ever owned. I do get occasional wind noise if there is a heavy cross wind while doing highway speeds. It has to be a pretty strong wind.

Make sure your window is closing all the way.

---

PJL1969 09-16-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 894308)
....Make sure your window is closing all the way.

---

Thanks, but it's not an issue of the window being slightly open, have already checked twice.

tomk 09-16-2013 05:17 PM

just went out and looked at my '14; the gaskets on the door are pinned into place but do not use adhesive. The inner gaskets appear to be clipped around the door frame, but I didn't poke around too much.

Wind noise is definitely not a problem on my '14; lots of highway miles (including a roadtrip to Philadelphia this past weekend) and wind noise was never on the list..

PJL1969 09-17-2013 07:34 AM

Thanks for your input on the door seals, I'll wait awhile longer to see if this is something other are experencing as well. Appreciate everyones input thus far.

2014GC 09-17-2013 07:38 AM

Just a thought, Take electrical tape and place it around window seals and body seams. Drive it as you normally would and see if the noise goes away. Then remove the tape one by one to locate the source of the noise. Also tape off the sunroof seal. Sometimes wind noise can be coming from somewhere other than where you think.
Also any cross rails on the roof rack can cause a wind noise.

studio1930 09-17-2013 09:24 AM

Both of our 2014 GC Overlands are quiet as can be with over 7000 miles on one of them.

PJL1969 09-17-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2014GC (Post 894873)
Just a thought, Take electrical tape and place it around window seals and body seams. Drive it as you normally would and see if the noise goes away. Then remove the tape one by one to locate the source of the noise. Also tape off the sunroof seal. Sometimes wind noise can be coming from somewhere other than where you think.
Also any cross rails on the roof rack can cause a wind noise.

Great suggestion, will try it when I gert some free time and let you know. Thanks !

Bborzell 09-17-2013 09:39 AM

Hard to say wht might be the direct cause of your wind noise, but I have treated weather seals on all my cars with this since 2005 and have not had a single instance of wind noise. Also used it to quiet entry door on my motorhome.

Honda Genuine Shin-Etsu Grease : Amazon.com : Automotive

When I bought a Honda S2000 in '05, the parts guy at the dealership tossed me a tube and said to put it on the rubber seals on the top. Worked great and 8 years later, the seals look as new. A bit pricey, but good stuff.

NavyDoc 09-18-2013 10:15 PM

I have the same issue on my passenger side door. I thought I would hear it on the drivers side, considering the door isn't aligned correctly, but I guess I was wrong.

jeepstrat 12-13-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJL1969 (Post 894249)

Thank You.

Did you ever get this figured out? Having the same issue on my 2014 Overland.