Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   How will Stock 18" Tires on 2014 limited do in snow (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/how-will-stock-18-tires-on-2014-limited-do-in-snow-65550.html)

mswlogo 09-16-2013 04:55 PM

How will Stock 18" Tires on 2014 limited do in snow

These tires don't look very aggressive compared to my last 2 jeep's stock tires.

They are Michelins, sorry forgot model.

Any experience with them in Snow. Are these new for this year model?

I have Quadra Trac II.

AAAA 09-16-2013 07:14 PM

Re: How will Stock 18" Tires on 2014 limited do in snow

Lots on this subject on forum. They are Latitudes... popular OEM tire. They are OK in snow... good, not great when new. Many of us traded them in on something else if we plan on using same tires for all year.

David_Hart 09-16-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 894501)
These tires don't look very aggressive compared to my last 2 jeep's stock tires.

I have Quadra Trac II.

I live in the North East where we get heavy snow, ice, rain, etc. I wasn't happy with the performance of the Michelins in heavy rain and I could just imagine how poorly they would perform in snow and ice.

I switched to all-terrain Hancock DynaPro ATM RF10 tires. They have been excellent in rain and mud so far and other reviews have indicated that they should be pretty good in snow. Of course, nothing beats dedicated snow tires.

I'll never understand why they put such a wimpy tire on the Jeep. Perhaps it was specifically for mileage ratings.

AAAA 09-17-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David_Hart (Post 894753)

I'll never understand why they put such a wimpy tire on the Jeep. Perhaps it was specifically for mileage ratings.

I'm sure that you are correct. I know Honda uses them on some vehicles as do other manufacturers.

kkreit01 09-17-2013 10:40 AM

You'll be able to get around, but they are not good in the snow. Stopping on minor compacted snow was downright scary. Mine are down to 5-6/32nds @ 21K miles. If we have a tough winter, I'll need them replaced.

lstowell 09-17-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 894501)

I have Quadra Trac II.

They are Latitudes, which are the fuel economy series.

They didn't impress me on cold standing water [live in Colorado front range], the snow here is too harsh to even think about using them in the winter.

The Michelin M+S2 doesn't have the snowflake symbol, but it does quite well as an all season tire with fantastic tread life--which depends on how cold your area gets and how MUCH snow.

If your area gets little snow or never gets that cold, the factory Latitudes may be good enough.

If you get ice, lasting snow, slush, you should consider the best true winter "snowflake" tire you can afford--including studs if you get a lot of lasting ice.

mswlogo 09-17-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 895190)
They are Latitudes, which are the fuel economy series.

They didn't impress me on cold standing water [live in Colorado front range], the snow here is too harsh to even think about using them in the winter.

The Michelin M+S2 doesn't have the snowflake symbol, but it does quite well as an all season tire with fantastic tread life--which depends on how cold your area gets and how MUCH snow.

If your area gets little snow or never gets that cold, the factory Latitudes may be good enough.

If you get ice, lasting snow, slush, you should consider the best true winter "snowflake" tire you can afford--including studs if you get a lot of lasting ice.

I'm in the Northeast. MA and NH. Crap.

I do like the MPG these are getting though.

For cars, I always buy separate rims and snows. My Jeeps just never seemed to need them.

Now I don't know if I should just change tires and give up some MPG year round or get separate wheels for winter.

YjagetaJeep 09-18-2013 01:43 AM

Jeeze...here in Ca they make us put chains on at the first sight of snow in the mountains...regardless of what tires you have of if your driving 4WD. I can tell you that my '91 Wrangler with chains installed was one tough snow beast....it was unstoppable!
I took my drivers license test in 6" of new snow with plain old tires many years ago back in NY. Yes.....I passed!

Aiyer 09-18-2013 01:08 PM

The first snow I drove in on stock latitudes, I hated them. I ended up buying a set of wheels/tires off of CraigsList from a guy who just bought a new JKU. They were good in snow (Dueler AT) and also on trails.

I still use the stock Latitudes in summer and use the other set for winter.

Cheers,
-A

lstowell 09-18-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 895326)
I'm in the Northeast. MA and NH. Crap.

I do like the MPG these are getting though.

For cars, I always buy separate rims and snows. My Jeeps just never seemed to need them.

Now I don't know if I should just change tires and give up some MPG year round or get separate wheels for winter.

$40-50K vehicle.
~$1500-1600 tires/wheels.

If the roads don't ice up, and your driving is mainly in slush or snow, you'll probably do fine with an MS2.

If you want a bit more braking to avoid the doofii, the X-Ice is nice.

If you want max ice performance, go Nokian Hakka 7 SUV factory studded, maybe you too can set a speed record on ice.

mswlogo 09-20-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 895769)
$40-50K vehicle.
~$1500-1600 tires/wheels.

If the roads don't ice up, and your driving is mainly in slush or snow, you'll probably do fine with an MS2.

If you want a bit more braking to avoid the doofii, the X-Ice is nice.

If you want max ice performance, go Nokian Hakka 7 SUV factory studded, maybe you too can set a speed record on ice.

It's more the hassle of having an extra set of wheels hanging around where I never had to before. Not the money.

You guys pay too much for your Jeeps.

I'm quite familiar with Nokian's and run them on my VW in the Winter.

I'd never run studded though, ever. You lose massive breaking distance when the roads are not covered in ice.

AAAA 09-21-2013 02:46 PM

I run Nokian WR G2's on our Subaru all year. They are a wolf in sheep's clothing in snow and ice. Have seen them on a couple of WK2's. (WR G2 SUV).