Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Mixed Messages (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/mixed-messages-65588.html)

jdshaw 09-17-2013 02:11 PM

Mixed Messages
 
Wife and I have been debating purchase of 2014 JGC Limited. About half the consumer reviews in Edmunds.com and KBB.com are horror stories. Looks like Chrysler/Jeep is having major quality control issues. :mad:

Andoskyy 09-17-2013 02:23 PM

Re: Mixed Messages
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdshaw (Post 895059)
Wife and I have been debating purchase of 2014 JGC Limited. About half the consumer reviews in Edmunds.com and KBB.com are horror stories. Looks like Chrysler/Jeep is having major quality control issues. :mad:

If you're worried, get a warranty and relax. That's what they're for...piece of mind.

For what its worth...12,000 miles on my '14 overland and not a single problem. Nobody complains or speaks up when they have no issues.

Jim_in_PA 09-17-2013 02:28 PM

Re: Mixed Messages
 
How many of those "reviews" are there compared to the many tens of thousands of MY JGCs that have been sold since introduction early in the year? They build 400-1000 of the each day! Every vehicle model from every manufacturer will have some units that have issues, including some significant ones. Jeep is no exception. Folks tend to speak up when they are disappointed and stay silent when they are happily driving along...so consumer reviews have a very skewed sample.

I agree with Andoskyy...if you and your wife like the JGC, that's what is important. And if you feel the need, extended service contracts are available from Mopar.

bill_de 09-17-2013 02:49 PM

Re: Mixed Messages
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andoskyy (Post 895065)
If you're worried, get a warranty and relax. That's what they're for...piece of mind.

For what its worth...12,000 miles on my '14 overland and not a single problem. Nobody complainsor speaks up when they have no issues.

You just did. :thumbsup:

I have had some issues, but nothing that keeps me from driving the car, and nothing that I lose any sleep over. The only thing I would do differently is to wait a few months when a new model comes out. So, if I hadn't bought mine already, I'd be buying it now.

I'm not saying that nobody had serious problems. But too often it's folks thinking a little inconvenience is a tragedy. If having to press a button four times instead of two will ruin your day, maybe you should move on. But if you can deal with things like that ... until the software is fixed ... you will enjoy a new Jeep.


---

Andoskyy 09-17-2013 03:03 PM

Re: Mixed Messages
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 895078)
You just did. :thumbsup:

I have had some issues, but nothing that keeps me from driving the car, and nothing that I lose any sleep over. The only thing I would do differently is to wait a few months when a new model comes out. So, if I hadn't bought mine already, I'd be buying it now.

I'm not saying that nobody had serious problems. But too often it's folks thinking a little inconvenience is a tragedy. If having to press a button four times instead of two will ruin your day, maybe you should move on. But if you can deal with things like that ... until the software is fixed ... you will enjoy a new Jeep.


---


Touche' :)

My favorite complaint I've read on this forum so far was that it's taking some people 4 clicks of the FOB to open their rear gate instead of 2 clicks :violin:

These are the types that tear Jeep a new one when they get the survey and bring down the overall ratings.

jd31 09-17-2013 03:53 PM

Re: Mixed Messages
 
I think I'm one of the unlucky ones who has a major issue. Engine is bad on my 2013 Overland. I came on this forum shortly after purchasing my Jeep to share my enthusiasm with others. About a year into ownership I encountered a major problem.

I'm not really losing sleep over it though. It's an inconvenience sure, but I have options. Either I can sell the Jeep before the original factory warranty runs out or purchase an extended warranty.

bill_de 09-17-2013 03:58 PM

Re: Mixed Messages
 
If the engine is bad, shouldn't they be fixing it now?


---

jd31 09-17-2013 04:04 PM

Re: Mixed Messages
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 895128)
If the engine is bad, shouldn't they be fixing it now?


---

It's been in the shop for a week and won't be done until this Friday. First they tried an oil change, then replaced the rocker arm based on a TSB, and now are in the process of dismantling the heads, etc. Hopefully it'll be done this Friday.

I have a thread in the Troubleshooting section chronicling my experience. In short, from the factory my jeep was missing a air housing hose to the engine so who knows what got into my engine over the past year.

bill_de 09-17-2013 04:16 PM

Re: Mixed Messages
 
Good luck! Hopefully this will be the end of your problems.


---

JGCCAYENNE 09-17-2013 04:38 PM

Re: Mixed Messages
 
Relax, and buy one.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/i-am-d...ted-62820.html

lstowell 09-17-2013 05:00 PM

Re: Mixed Messages
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andoskyy (Post 895088)
Touche' :)

My favorite complaint I've read on this forum so far was that it's taking some people 4 clicks of the FOB to open their rear gate instead of 2 clicks :violin:

These are the types that tear Jeep a new one when they get the survey and bring down the overall ratings.

The biggest items I've seen are
  • Early models of the 8 speed on the V6 have reported rough shifting. There is a flash of that module that fixes it, that SHOULD be installed on new vehicles. Have a V-8 which can be made to shift "rough" simply by planting ones foot in it--but its a really cool rough. The transmissions can take a bit to learn your driving style.
  • The check engine light can come on with nothing wrong. Harmless and there's a firmware flash for that, but just driving for a day also works, or you could use any OBD2 tool to reset the evap. Hit it twice, once we knew what it was, big whoop.
  • Allegedly theres a service phone error that comes up for folks who pair their phone to their Uconnect. Don't use this, and I tend to not yak and drive so dunno how big a deal.
  • There was a counterintuitive method of entering navigation searches if you get the models with built in navigation. Counterintuitive until you think about how much compute power it would take unless you enter at least a destination state first. There is a Uconnect update that should be on all new vehicles.
  • There is a flash for V8 models that try to burn regular in some areas rather than the recommended midgrade. No idea how widespread it is and why buy a V8 if you can't spend 5 cents more per gallon.
  • There appears to be some issue with the remote start and turning on the AC. Awwwww, gee life is tough.
I haven't done any of the flashes yet...as not a single one of those bother me enough to drive even just a couple miles to the dealer. Maybe around Xmas they can have it for a day and catch it up.


Take one out on a curvy road and either put it in sport mode or just keep it at 56mph for a couple seconds and see if it doesn't remind you of a big Jag sedan during the good era of Jag handling and driving quality.

lstowell 09-17-2013 05:02 PM

Re: Mixed Messages
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jd31 (Post 895120)
I think I'm one of the unlucky ones who has a major issue. Engine is bad on my 2013 Overland. I came on this forum shortly after purchasing my Jeep to share my enthusiasm with others. About a year into ownership I encountered a major problem.

I'm not really losing sleep over it though. It's an inconvenience sure, but I have options. Either I can sell the Jeep before the original factory warranty runs out or purchase an extended warranty.

V6 or Hemi?

Just be glad it isn't a Porsche with 10 years and one day on the engine that just grenaded. [See autoweek for details]


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community