Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   93 jeep grand cherokee (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/93-jeep-grand-cherokee-65644.html)

Cav2 09-18-2013 04:43 PM

93 jeep grand cherokee

93 grand Cherokee no engine light will not start. when engine light go on jeep will start. we replaced the computer and crank sensor. seems like a lot of jeeps have this problem but no cure. any help would be great.
Cav 2

lstowell 09-18-2013 05:16 PM

Re: 93 jeep grand cherokee

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cav2 (Post 895827)
93 grand Cherokee no engine light will not start. when engine light go on jeep will start. we replaced the computer and crank sensor. seems like a lot of jeeps have this problem but no cure. any help would be great.
Cav 2

It helps to post the engine, transmission, rough mileage, etc.

Is there any kind of aftermarket intrusion/theft prevention system?

Does the starter engage and turn the engine?

If you get nothing on the key, it is likely to be an interlock, or the ignition switch which a !#$!@#$@# dealer swore never fails.

If the engine turns over, does it do it at normal speed, or very slow?
[battery, grounding, starter drag, cables]

Does the engine fire at all? [lotsa reasons from cps on...]

Does the engine start and then turn right back off [fuel pressure sensor]

Cav2 09-19-2013 05:50 PM

Thanks for helping,Jeep will crank nomal will not start.It will start ifthe check engine light is on.When you frist turn key on the engine light is not there.You can crank it or let set afew minutes light will come on ,enginestarts. We replaced the computor,and the crank sensor.Jeep has factory alarm.we do not use it.Jeep has 104000 miles has 6 cy inlinemotor.I did take it to a machanic this week he thinks the new computer is faulty.He is a reptable guy.I looked at other forms seems like a lot of jeep grand cherokees have this going on .I just never find out if they fix it. I getting another computor for him tomorrow.I just hopr thats it but I dont know.
Thanks again for your concern.
Cav2

sincearZJ 01-02-2014 05:37 AM

I had this exact problem with my 94 ZJ and it ended up being a faulty computer although I just replaced with a brand new one it would do the same thing so I changed it out and it has been fine ever since

sincearZJ 01-02-2014 05:38 AM

Also too be careful what parts you are using because jeeps really don't like aftermarket parts it is always better to go with molar direct

2005JGC 01-03-2014 12:14 AM

Symptom diagnostic will get you no where... you need to know WHY it wont start. An engine needs Compression, Fuel, Ignition, and in proper timing to accomplish a kaboom... there is any one of 1000 reasons why a jeep wont start and without knowing what is missing from the equation, well, take your pick ;)

Having said that, as others have mentioned, if you used crappy aftermarket parts, don't scratch ANY part you have replaced off the list of possibilities, the biggest problem for a DIY parts exchanger is the dreaded price shopping... since you don't KNOW this is the problem, we will get the cheaper option, bad idea.

I had a 1996 ford F150 towed in for a no start, it had a refurbished pcm, new distributor, 3 sets of plug wires were put on it, new relays, new ignition module, coil, spark plugs, crankshaft position sensor, the aftermarket alarm had been ripped out from under the dash and removed... Well after testing all that I could to determine why there was no fuel OR spark command, I plugged his OE ignition module back in and got spark and fuel but still no start... who knows the order in which he replaced parts but at the end of the day, the ignition module that was brand new didn't work and was just one more thing to diagnose.

Follow up with some details for some better suggestions!