Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2011+ Dodge Durango-WD (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f177/)
-   -   2014 Durango towing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f177/2014-durango-towing-65670.html)

fireman 09-19-2013 07:37 AM

2014 Durango towing

New thread to discuss towing with the Durango.

I'll be ordering a brake controller soon. Planning on the Tekonsha P2. I ordered the tow package so I'm assuming there is brake controller wiring behind the console somewhere. Can anybody confirm this? I can order either with a "factory 7-way connector" or without. Does anybody know if I need that or not?

Thanks and safe towing!

vertrkr 09-19-2013 08:06 AM

Re: 2014 Durango towing

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fireman (Post 896122)
New thread to discuss towing with the Durango.
I'll be ordering a brake controller soon. Planning on the Tekonsha P2. I ordered the tow package so I'm assuming there is brake controller wiring behind the console somewhere. Can anybody confirm this? I can order either with a "factory 7-way connector" or without. Does anybody know if I need that or not?
Thanks and safe towing!

I got the tow package and in the glove box I found a bag with a wire harness you can install for the brake controller. It looks like a plug with about a two feet of 4 wires. The hitch receiver has both a round 7 pin and straight 4 pin connectors.

davewg 09-19-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vertrkr (Post 896148)
I got the tow package and in the glove box I found a bag with a wire harness you can install for the brake controller. The hitch receiver has both a round 7 pin and straight 4 pin connectors.

Yep, there should be pre-wiring behind the dash for the controller to hook into. Most of the Tekonsha's are sold with the connector too for vehicles equipped with the 7 pin plug (only comes with the tow package).

Dodge Durango Brake Controller - 2013 | etrailer.com

Laureljoke 09-19-2013 08:27 AM

I suspect you guys are big boat towers, but anybody ever towed a small car on a flat trailer? Someone doesn't want to drive it to TX, the other someone doesn't want to ride in it all the way to TX, or pay what the professional haulers want for the job.

davewg 09-19-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laureljoke (Post 896156)
I suspect you guys are big boat towers, but anybody ever towed a small car on a flat trailer? Someone doesn't want to drive it to TX, the other someone doesn't want to ride in it all the way to TX, or pay what the professional haulers want for the job.

I have. Granted it was 20 years ago and I towed it behind a U-Haul truck, and it was a dolly not a flat trailer...

Doesn't sound a ton like your situation, but really towing a small car on a flat trailer shouldn't be too difficult.

Its critical to remember that it takes longer to stop, you need to watch your speed since trailer tires are not designed for speeds above 65 or so.

The bigger thing is - don't park or put yourself in a situation where you're not able to maneuver the truck/trailer (like the time I drove behind a restaurant with our 25' camper thinking the driveway was a circle around the building and it wasn't...)

You also need to consider that a car on a trailer is probably close to where you might need a controller for trailer brakes. Does your build have the tow package?

Edit:

I should add - its completely doable to tow your car to Texas. Just practice towing the trailer and the car locally before hitting the road. Be mindful that the drive will take a little longer. At the time I towed my car on that dolly I had zero towing experience and I had no issues or problems.

I'd certainly be towing it myself rather than paying someone for it. Moving interstate is expensive enough just for the stuff in the house...

fireman 09-19-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vertrkr (Post 896148)
I got the tow package and in the glove box I found a bag with a wire harness you can install for the brake controller. It looks like a plug with about a foot of wires. The hitch receiver has both a round 7 pin and straight 4 pin connectors.

Thanks. I wonder if that plugs directly into the brake controller or if I still need the optional harness that is available from etrailer since they offer it with or without the harness? Actually, one foot may not give much flexibility in mounting location. I'll probably order the factory connector with it just to be sure.

vertrkr 09-19-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireman (Post 896166)
Thanks. I wonder if that plugs directly into the brake controller or if I still need the optional harness that is available from etrailer since they offer it with or without the harness? Actually, one foot may not give much flexibility in mounting location. I'll probably order the factory connector with it just to be sure.

Looks like it's more like 2 feet. I included a pic in my first post above. Can't help with the rest, I don't know anything about brake controllers.

fireman 09-19-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davewg (Post 896165)
You also need to consider that a car on a trailer is probably close to where you might need a controller for trailer brakes. Does your build have the tow package?

I'm guessing you'd be renting this trailer? It may have surge brakes. If that's the case, you don't need a brake controller.

I don't know what the movers would charge but consider a brake controller is about $150, additional $$$ fuel for the Durango, and the cost if you're renting the trailer. Their price may not be all that bad. However, if you need the brake controller otherwise I'm sure it will make sense to tow.

Definitely need to heed Dave's advice about stopping and getting trapped in parking lots. Also turns in general. You need to take a wider line in a turn than without the trailer. Otherwise, you'll have the trailer up on the curb. Takes some getting used to.

Laureljoke 09-19-2013 09:20 AM

Oh, my. We do have the tow package, and we will get a little practice with slower driving this first major trip back to Indiana, but I agree that some careful planning and practice with the trailer is a very good idea. With the added expenses you mentioned, Fireman, our lowest estimate for covered transportation for this car might nearly break even. I think selling it is the best idea, but I'll lose that argument hands down. Thanks for all the great info, and I will review with the one who would be doing most of the towing. Love the combined experience and brain power of this forum.

fireman 09-19-2013 09:31 AM

Texas is south of Indiana so it's all downhill and shouldn't affect your fuel economy much at all. :D :rolleyes:

Kidding. I couldn't even guess what the MPG penalty would be.

fireman 09-19-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vertrkr (Post 896175)
Looks like it's more like 2 feet. I included a pic in my first post above. Can't help with the rest, I don't know anything about brake controllers.

That's a big help. Looks like that would certainly work but with the bare wires, it will save me some time to just buy the pre-made harness from etrailer.com.

Laureljoke 09-19-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireman (Post 896196)
Texas is south of Indiana so it's all downhill and shouldn't affect your fuel economy much at all. :D :rolleyes:

Kidding. I couldn't even guess what the MPG penalty would be.

Ha! Downhill, and perhaps we would have a tail wind. Easier than our last move from NC....beautiful, but lots of hills and turns as we went through the Smoky Mountains. A thrill for the driver, prayers said by the passenger, and a little salty language occasionally.

I will certainly report back on our average mpg with our uphill drive home. It will be hard to resist the urge to up our speed when we hit hour nine or ten and just want to GET THERE. I've read varying opinions about new engine break-in periods, but none have said to punch it out of the gate at sustained speeds around 80 for the first 900 miles.:(