Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Performance of rear AC ducts in GC (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/performance-of-rear-ac-ducts-in-gc-65726.html)

scarpi 09-20-2013 03:50 PM

Performance of rear AC ducts in GC

Ok, I live in Phoenix and as everybody knows it is HOT here all summer (100 and sometimes 110 plus). AC is a must. I am interested in a 2014 GC Laredo E but I recently discovered that there is no actual rear AC system (with its own fan control and ceiling vents). It appears that the only rear AC it has are two small vents in the rear of the center console. I would like owners opinions who live in hot areas especially those who live in Phoenix as to how well the rear of this vehicle stays cool on a 110 degree sunny day. Are my rear passengers going to sweat while the front of the vehicle is cool? I believe the three row Durango has the rear air controls, but I had my heart set on a Jeep. And I know the best way to test it is to go to a dealer and drive one during the summer, then sit in the back seat and see how comfortable it is. Currently I have an 02 Yukon and it has great rear air because it is a three row SUV. I also have a dog that sometimes travels with us and I want her to be cool. Any info is appreciated....thanks, Don in hot Phoenix. :)

GRB1 09-20-2013 04:01 PM

Re: Performance of rear AC ducts in GC

Although I don't live in the SW, here in Maryland we get many days of 90's with high humidity (think sauna). I think the new GC's rear air is more than adequate. I have owned a Durango and an Aspen and both had third row seats and a dedicated fan. They would freeze my daughter if she was in the back.

Over this summer, I had a couple of friends who actually commented that they felt the rear air vents were very good at keeping back seat passengers cool on really hot days. It won't freeze you out like my Aspen, but they will keep you cool.

Baalic 09-20-2013 07:30 PM

in texas, 2014 overland, no issues all summer. it does what its supposed to, nice and cool

jacko15 09-20-2013 09:08 PM

90+ days and after my rear seat passengers fiddled with the vents a little they said they were very comfortable.

scarpi 09-20-2013 11:19 PM

Thanks for the info. Glad that the rear ducts seem adequate. How about any replies from owners in Vegas or other SW desert cities where summer temps are as hot as Phoenix.

ambiguous02 09-21-2013 09:19 AM

You can consider on of these: The Noggle | Beat the heat | Car AC Extension for Pets & Kids, The Noggle, especially designed for Pets & kids, is a must have travel accessory that greatly improves your automotive air conditioning and heating system. I believe it was developed by a phoenician. It directs the air where you want it to go within the car, and can be used for kids and pets or any thing you want to keep cool.

Baalic 09-21-2013 12:38 PM

Amarillo Texas, it gets in the HOT here too... 110-115 and a similar dry heat as Pheonix.

you already got good answers.. the rear vents work. these aren't the cars from the 90's

scarpi 09-21-2013 02:24 PM

Sounds good. Maybe I'll get my GC after all. :D

3js2ks 09-21-2013 11:24 PM

According to Chrysler promotional materials from the launch of the '11, there should only be about 1 degree of difference between front and rear temperature in the GC. Info can be found at wk2jeeps.com.

scarpi 09-22-2013 11:23 AM

Thanks 3js2ks, there is a lot of good info at that website. :thumbsup:

HemiFan 09-22-2013 11:57 AM

I live in s.florida and would say they are adequate but i wish they would have their own blower.