Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f162/)
-   -   Brake issues while at the track (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f162/brake-issues-while-at-the-track-65735.html)

barish93 09-20-2013 08:05 PM

Brake issues while at the track

Alright this may be a stupid question but, I've been auto crossing more lately and sometimes when i go to hit the brakes the pedal is impossible to push down. After a few seconds the pedal finally give in and actually goes down.

I bought new brake fluid which should be here sometime next week. Do you think that will solve that issue?

Scottina06 09-20-2013 11:34 PM

Re: Brake issues while at the track

could be/..but probably need new rotors and pads for racing

barish93 09-21-2013 05:13 AM

The rotors are only a few months old same as the pads. I did some more reading online and it sounds like loss of vacuum assist.

Frango100 09-21-2013 06:17 AM

The brake fluid should not cause this kind of problems. When using the brakes a lot, the brake fluid could start boiling and cause air bubbles in the fluid, which would make the brake pedal feel spongy.
Loss of vacuum assist will make the brake pedal hard to move, so could be your problem.

barish93 09-21-2013 07:42 AM

Yea I'm thinking that's my issue. Any clue how to fix it?

Frango100 09-21-2013 07:52 AM

Does it only happen when at the track, or did it happen with normal driving as well? If it is vacuum related, why would it only happen at the track?

barish93 09-21-2013 08:00 AM

It's only at the track. I'm assuming its from braking hard then going WOT right away so the pressure never has time to depressurize with all the air rushing through the motor at WOT

radbushi 09-30-2013 03:05 PM

I see this in my jeep but it's when I go to start it sometimes the pedal is solid but after it starts it is normal again. Would be scary if this happened in motion. The dealer should be able to test for vacuumed leak.

barish93 09-30-2013 06:30 PM

Haven't brought it to the dealer yet. I actually tried this past weekend to replicate it but couldn't. I'm going back to the track in late October so I guess I'll see then. I'm putting in some wilwood 600 EXP brake fluid. But I doubt that will solve the problem.

radbushi 10-30-2013 02:59 PM

I just noticed my post didn't post. Sometimes when starting mine the brake pedal is rigid but it goes away after engine starts. It would be scarry to have it do that while moving.

Frango100 10-30-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radbushi (Post 920825)
I just noticed my post didn't post. Sometimes when starting mine the brake pedal is rigid but it goes away after engine starts. It would be scarry to have it do that while moving.

This is normal behaviour after the jeep is off for a longer time. The vacuum will sip away and the vacuum assist is gone, making the pedal very hard to move. Once the engine is started, the vacuum is regained and the assist is back and the pedal feels as normal.