Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   6.1 Commander swap (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/6-1-commander-swap-65763.html)

Marekflys 09-21-2013 05:49 PM

6.1 Commander swap
 
Guys, I need your help to check what I am missing. This is what I am working with, '06 XK 5.7, I am doing a 6.1 swap this winter. I already have a long block 6.1 out of '10 WK SRT, intake manifold, exhaust headers, mids, injectors/rail. What I need to know is can the 5.7 XK controller be flashed for the 6.1 as the 5.7 uses one unit for the engine and 545 vs 6.1 has separate modules for the engine and the NAG. Also, I would like to reuse the engine harness since I am reusing the 5.7 coils, can I delete the EGR connection or am I better off with the 6.1 harness. Please chime in with any other ideas or recommendations

greenwayer 09-21-2013 08:02 PM

Re: 6.1 Commander swap
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marekflys (Post 897407)
Guys, I need your help to check what I am missing. This is what I am working with, '06 XK 5.7, I am doing a 6.1 swap this winter. I already have a long block 6.1 out of '10 WK SRT, intake manifold, exhaust headers, mids, injectors/rail. What I need to know is can the 5.7 XK controller be flashed for the 6.1 as the 5.7 uses one unit for the engine and 545 vs 6.1 has separate modules for the engine and the NAG. Also, I would like to reuse the engine harness since I am reusing the 5.7 coils, can I delete the EGR connection or am I better off with the 6.1 harness. Please chime in with any other ideas or recommendations

It would be a little difficult to flash it to a 6.1 computer system. Why not just get a tune? Since its a stock setup you can just get a canned tune for the 5.7, and it should work well. A dyno tune would be best though. Let me know how the tranny holds up, I am thinking of doing a 6.4 on my wk with a 545rfe.

Marekflys 09-21-2013 08:15 PM

Thank you, i will keep you posted with the trans life expectancy.

jeepgcoman 09-22-2013 05:32 PM

Re: 6.1 Commander swap
 
I would think, as greenwayer said, a tune on the stock PCM/TCM would suffice. They don't know what size engine you're running. They're only trying to maintain the correct settings (air/fuel, timing, shift schedules, torque management, etc.) for what's there. I also think the stock 5.7 wiring harness would work too. Only problems I can think of are the EGR, which you already know about, and the MDS wiring, both of which can be resolved with a tune. Another thing that will need modding, if you run the SRT exhaust manifolds, is to trim the transmission case on the right side, so the collector will clear. I understand it's a minor mod. and does not affect the integrity of the the case.

As far as the transmission goes, I'd be proactive and mod. it before you do the engine install. I've got the Sonnax Line Pressure Booster on mine and run the Superchips Advanced Transmision Tuning Application so I can set everything (up/down shift schedules, WOT and light throttle shift firmness (torque management) exactly the way I want it. IMO, this makes it about as good as it can get for an otherwise stock transmission.

greenwayer 09-22-2013 09:14 PM

Re: 6.1 Commander swap
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 897757)
I would think, as greenwayer said, a tune on the stock PCM/TCM would suffice. They don't know what size engine you're running. They're only trying to maintain the correct settings (air/fuel, timing, shift schedules, torque management, etc.) for what's there. I also think the stock 5.7 wiring harness would work too. Only problems I can think of are the EGR, which you already know about, and the MDS wiring, both of which can be resolved with a tune. Another thing that will need modding, if you run the SRT exhaust manifolds, is to trim the transmission case on the right side, so the collector will clear. I understand it's a minor mod. and does not affect the integrity of the the case.

As far as the transmission goes, I'd be proactive and mod. it before you do the engine install. I've got the Sonnax Line Pressure Booster on mine and run the Superchips Advanced Transmision Tuning Application so I can set everything (up/down shift schedules, WOT and light throttle shift firmness (torque management) exactly the way I want it. IMO, this makes it about as good as it can get for an otherwise stock transmission.

Whatever you do don't touch the shift points and schedules. I have done extensive research on the topic and I know many people who have tried to do this. Changing this transmissions shift points kills it prematurely. The way this transmission is made if you alter the shift points it puts a large load on the transmission and this is what kills their clutches. I would not try it especially with your stroker.

jjt250 09-22-2013 09:19 PM

Re: 6.1 Commander swap
 
I remembered finding this a while ago. Might not be much help but it's pretty cool!

Forged 6.1L swap - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum

jeepgcoman 09-22-2013 11:14 PM

Re: 6.1 Commander swap
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenwayer (Post 897874)
Whatever you do don't touch the shift points and schedules. I have done extensive research on the topic and I know many people who have tried to do this. Changing this transmissions shift points kills it prematurely. The way this transmission is made if you alter the shift points it puts a large load on the transmission and this is what kills their clutches. I would not try it especially with your stroker.

Now that's just a bunch of BS, from start to finish. With my mods. I've added almost 100 rwhp, and I've been running the Superchips Advanced Transmission Tuning Application with modified shift schedules and torque management since May 10, 2010 (I've kept every setup I've ever tried), and have never had a hint of trouble. I do WOT runs almost every time I drive it (love the seat of the pants feel) and I've tried all different settings, including turning off all torque management for light throttle upshifts. Still no problems, with almost 40,000 miles with the App. installed. If anyone has a problem with this App., they're doing something very wrong.....i.e. being clueless on how to set it up.

Marekflys 09-23-2013 07:40 AM

Re: 6.1 Commander swap
 
Gentelman, thank you for all the input. I will let you know how everything goes:)

Marekflys 01-03-2014 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Brembos and Bilsteins, started the build.

Attachment 33916

greenwayer 01-03-2014 06:38 PM

Re: 6.1 Commander swap
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marekflys (Post 954188)
Brembos and Bilsteins, started the build.

Attachment 33916

Way to go! How much did the brembos cost you?

Marekflys 01-03-2014 06:44 PM

Roughly $4500, including wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods, sway bar links, bushings and bilsteins. I did the work

NHWK05 01-06-2014 09:03 PM

Re: 6.1 Commander swap
 
Looking great! When/if my 4.7 goes ill be doing a 6.1.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community