Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Red vs amber signal light (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/red-vs-amber-signal-light-65781.html)

Mrcowboy 09-22-2013 09:53 AM

Red vs amber signal light

Hi,
I'm new to this forum because I just switched from a Range Rover Sport to a new JGC MY14 Summit ;)

I saw in a thread you were discussing red vs amber signal lights. I live in Europe and therefore received mine as euro-spec with yellow lights. Is there a way I can replace it with the red signal light? Do I just have to replace a bulb or is it an entire piece I have to exchange? Where can I order it?

Thanks in advance,
TJ

Zybane 09-22-2013 08:41 PM

Re: Red vs amber signal light

Having lived in Europe, I believe yellow turns are mandatory. Either yellow or red are allowed in the US. I may be mistaken. Usually on higher end vehicles the actual lens is tinted and not the bulb. That would require a whole new tail light assembly. I don't have my 2014 yet so cannot look myself.

akimball 09-22-2013 08:57 PM

i dont know about other states here in the us, but you cannot have red or blue for turn signals here in massachusetts.

Mrcowboy 09-23-2013 01:56 PM

Yes they should be yellow by law. But it's usually OK with the authorities if they're red due to the recent increase in import of cars from the us (even euro cars are being reimported from the us due to the forex). Therefore I'd like to switch my turn signals to the red bulb. If anyone knows where I can get them it'd be much appreciated.

BobsWK2 09-23-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akimball (Post 897864)
i dont know about other states here in the us, but you cannot have red or blue for turn signals here in massachusetts.

I think you heard wrong. Unless you are referring to front turn signal color. Then yellow/amber is mandatory.

akimball 09-23-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWK2 (Post 898364)
I think you heard wrong. Unless you are referring to front turn signal color. Then yellow/amber is mandatory.

im referring to the fronts yes.

Mrcowboy 09-24-2013 03:21 AM

I was meaning the back ones, I wanted to replace those with the red ones.

akimball 09-24-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrcowboy (Post 898466)
I was meaning the back ones, I wanted to replace those with the red ones.

Well im an idiot then lol sorry

Mrcowboy 09-24-2013 09:42 AM

No don't worry. But do you know where I could exchange them in case they're actually bulbs? I am not the most technically advanced fella so I don't know if the turn signals are bulbs or if I we'd have to replace the entire unit....

losbot 09-24-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWK2 (Post 898364)

Depends. Here in Florida, you can have front yellow or white, as I had white LED turn signals on my 528i that looked great and were legal. I looked up the statute before ordering. I wonder how white LED turn signals would look on my '14 JGC. ;)

Mrcowboy 09-24-2013 12:59 PM

Yes I imagine with the led-running lights they could look really cool... Good plan actually.... Any idea what bulb to put?

BobsWK2 09-24-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by losbot (Post 898592)
Depends. Here in Florida, you can have front yellow or white, as I had white LED turn signals on my 528i that looked great and were legal. I looked up the statute before ordering. I wonder how white LED turn signals would look on my '14 JGC. ;)

I know white front turn signal bulbs/lens were common back on vehicles prior to about 1968.