Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   dashboard paint scratch maing me crazy!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/dashboard-paint-scratch-maing-me-crazy-65795.html)

Perfesser 09-22-2013 03:35 PM

dashboard paint scratch maing me crazy!!

Me again....just noticed a horizontal hairline scratch in the silver paint on the lower console compartment lid- the dampened one. It bought the Jeep with 13000miles on it, and it is in perfect, showroom condition except for that scratch. As you may suspect, it has my sole attention- kind of like the pimple on your forehead you think everyone is staring at, but most rational people would not even notice. Any suggestions on how/what to fix it- maybe OEM paint, without going from bad to worse? Obsessive compulsive? Maybe, but we car guys have this thing about slight imperfections that most rational people would not even notice. Any trch or mechanical solutions are welcome- mental/psychiatric suggestions have already been fielded from my better half and would only be redundant. Thanks, and to quote Dr. Sheldon Cooper, "no I am not crazy- my mother had me tested". Enjoy a laugh on me, and maybe offer a suggestion or two.:lol:

Scottina06 09-22-2013 04:10 PM

Re: dashboard paint scratch maing me crazy!!

can we see a pic?

Perfesser 09-22-2013 04:48 PM

I do not know how to post a pic- and, the scratch is a hairline that would probably not even show. I did not even notice it until she pointed it out, and now it has become a, well, fill in your choice of words- just be gentle.

Sybersport 09-23-2013 03:50 PM

This doesn't help, but I feel your pain. The day after I picked up my brand new 14 SRT, I noticed a scratch on the clear plastic speedo cluster cover. It's near the bottom of the cluster, but it's there. I was going crazy staring at it for days after I noticed it, but after a few weeks, I forgot it was there.

I say hang in there - you'll get over it with time! (sounds alot like I'm giving you relationship advice! hah)

lstowell 09-23-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfesser (Post 897744)
I do not know how to post a pic- and, the scratch is a hairline that would probably not even show. I did not even notice it until she pointed it out, and now it has become a, well, fill in your choice of words- just be gentle.

Dr Colorchip? [or whatever their name is]

If you have a good local detailer, they could probably deal with this for a few bucks.
Some dealers have detailers on staff.

Perfesser 09-23-2013 04:54 PM

I have found peace. I have made a black on clear P touch label that says "Next service due March, 2014 and put it over the scratch. Out of sight, out of mind" and it solved the problem. I had a 87 Vette with a small chip below the passenger side outside mirror that ended up with a repaint of the entire door after I "fixed so well I ruined it". Good rules to follow: If you fix something long enough you will break it", and "if it isn't broken, fix it untill it is". Plus, it gives my WK2 character, and once I get the firast metal ding the pressure will be off- no more parking 400 yards away from the store to avoid the door dings and shopping carts- they will find you. Unbelievable, but true.:rolleyes: