Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Road or Tire Noise (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/road-or-tire-noise-65820.html)

RobVa 09-23-2013 10:34 AM

Road or Tire Noise

I just purchased 2014 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 in August 2013. The car was manufactured sometime in March or April. The road noise or tire noise is more than I ever expected it to be in this type of vehicle..it does have the Michelins Latitude tires on it. Do you think some of the sound deadening material was left off? Everything I have read states the vehicle is quiet. Yes I did test drive it and did not notice it then.

JGC12USMC 09-24-2013 06:04 PM

My 2012 JGC also has Michelin Latitudes on it. The ride is very smooth and quite, even on rougher roads. The inside of my wheel wells have a felt like covering on them and this may help keep the noise down. Look at yours, maybe they should be there but aren't. Good luck and there has to be a reason for so much noise. You don't live in Alabama, do you? I use to and the roads there are terrible. (Ha)

mswlogo 09-25-2013 09:52 PM

Re: Road or Tire Noise

Get it checked. It should be very quiet.

Messed up tires can make a lot of noise.

bill_de 09-26-2013 07:03 AM

Check your tire pressure. The prep guys may have screwed it up after you test drove the Jeep.

One of the first thing I noticed when I got my Jeep was how quiet it was inside. There was a rumbling noise one time that sounded like tire noise. I shut the radio off to see if I could pinpoint it ... and it went away. :)

---

lstowell 09-26-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 899667)
Check your tire pressure. The prep guys may have screwed it up after you test drove the Jeep.

One of the first thing I noticed when I got my Jeep was how quiet it was inside. There was a rumbling noise one time that sounded like tire noise. I shut the radio off to see if I could pinpoint it ... and it went away. :)

---

And at moderate speeds, you can hear the vented seat fans.

It could be something other than road/tire noise if it doesn't change markedly on different road surfaces.

1stJeepGC 09-29-2013 09:40 AM

Greetings,

I had a noise issue with my 2011 Laredo X. Also, at the same time I had a set of BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A that I was experiencing a noise issue with. This noise I knew was more than the tires. It turned out that I had to have under warranty 2 different front wheel ball bearings replaced. That particular noise was solved which left with tires to change later.

I would have the service folks check it out just to be safe.

Best for now. :)

RobVa 10-13-2013 02:50 PM

I do appreciate all of the comments concerning the tire noise. Yes, I do have the Michelin Lattitudes 18 inch tires and I do have the felt type wheel well covers. I clearly hear tires noise at even low speed, but sometimes less on different road surfaces. The car is great, but not quiet in my opinion after owning a 2011 Ford Explorer. I did go test drive another 2014 Grand Cherokee from the dealer's lot and I also heard the tires noise. Thanks for your comments!