Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Chrysler Suspending Cherokee KL Production

9K views 42 replies 32 participants last post by  Willx 
#1 ·
Did you guys hear about this? Chrysler is suspending production of the JGC at the Toledo plant to match current demand.

I thought the word on the street was that the 2014 was selling like hotcakes. How does this affect new orders if I wanted to order say next week?

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-77523021/

#6 ·
Well there is no "Inventory" for the Cherokee yet so there is nothing to rebalance.

There sure is a lot of inventory of JGC out there. Quite a few on the road too.

#8 ·
This is a story about the Cherokee not the Grand Cherokee. The Cherokee is supposed to start shipping to dealers next week, but Chrysler has already built around 10K of them and are running out of places to put them. So they are slowing production for a week or still until they can get those units shipped. The Grand Cherokee on the other hand is not showing any sign of slow down they can't keep up with the demand and the Grand Cherokee is built in Detroit not Toledo.

#9 ·
Once again a newspaper prints, without checking facts.

Then the internet can distribute the misinformation.

They used to say a little information can be dangerous. Today, the same can be said for too much information.

Who was it that said, "Don't believe anything you read, and only half of what you see"?

---

#12 ·
Its interesting, in a lot of the reviews I've read they have said it looks much better in person and it starts to grow on you. As someone else mentioned that without these being at dealers yet and physically going to owners or being available to drive off the lot they are just adding more and more, eventually you need something going out the door to bring something else in...

I have to admit, while I still dont think it looks "good" I am starting to like it better. I am looking forward to checking one out next time I am at the dealer.

#14 ·
I posted that I liked the look when the first pictures were shown. I still like it. Even though I own a JGC, I am not a Jeep die hard fan. Maybe that's why I can like something that doesn't totally follow the Jeep formula.

---

#15 ·
When Jeep first came out with the Compass many people said the front end didn't look good. We liked it, and still do. Funky little vehicle, but that was the appeal for us. :)

Attachments

#18 ·
Saw one on the road this last week......looks better in person as the photo angles seem to over emphasize the front end design.

#21 ·
I don't mind the looks of the new Cherokee at all, especially when you compare it to other vehicles in that class (Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape, etc.).

#24 ·
My parents recently bought a top of the line 2013 Ford Escape Titanium with the 19" wheels and EcoBoost engine.

After driving it...I'm not impressed. The turbocharged 4 banger felt like a slug compared to my 2014 V6, and the handling was so-so.

I like my GC MUCH better.

#23 ·
I like the new Cherokee.

I might have gotten a Cherokee instead of the Grand Cherokee if I hadn't had a time crunch to buy a new SUV in July. There aren't many compact SUVs with a V6 engine and 4500lbs towing.

#27 ·
CORRECTION ON ORIGINAL POST BELOW:
Did you guys hear about this? Chrysler is suspending production of the JGC at the Toledo plant to match current demand.

I thought the word on the street was that the 2014 was selling like hotcakes. How does this affect new orders if I wanted to order say next week?

Chicago Tribune
There is no option for me to edit my OP, so I wanted to correct it here. The Chicago Tribune messed up their report and incorrectly reported that Grand Cherokee production was suspended, when it was actual a shift of the new 2014 Cherokee (KL) that was suspended. Here is the correct info here: Chrysler Suspends Cherokee Production at Toledo, Lays Off 500 Workers. Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks to the mods for changing the thread title!:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.